GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disconnected MAF sensor, engine runs better.

VgRt6

Ready to race!
fuel trims are a representation of a % of fuel (in terms of injector pulse width) that has to be added or subtracted to maintain the desired afr. For example, if your long term fuel trim is +10%, the ecu is adding 10% more time to the injection pulse to give the correct afr on average. Short term trims are more of an "instant" representation of how much time the ecu is adding to the pulse width in that moment.

When fuel trims are "reset", such as when clearing out fault codes, the ecu resets all trim values back to zero and relearns the trims.

To expand on this, the ECU will keep track of two different fuel trims - additive and multiplicative. The additive trim is used at engine idle. Since the engine speed is constant, the trim is the percentage of fuel added to achieve a stoichiometric air-to-fuel ratio. The multiplicative trim is used at engine speeds above idle. Since engine speed varies, a single correction (trim) value isn't valid. As a result, a percentage multiplier correction is used.

For those with VAG-COM/VCDS, the fuel trims are in Block 032 of the Engine control module. The additive trim is in Field 1 (the value all the way to the left). The multiplicative trim is in Field 2 (the value to the right of Field 1). Fields 3 and 4 should be blank.

Positive trims indicate a lean condition (fuel must be added to achieve stoichiometry). Negative trims indicate a rich condition (fuel must be reduced to achieve stoichiometry).

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

GoTIme10

Ready to race!
I also got these codes after going stage 2 and some other upgrades. I found it was a boost leak out of my turbo outlet pipe. They too told me it was my MAF but it wasnt!!

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I also got these codes after going stage 2 and some other upgrades. I found it was a boost leak out of my turbo outlet pipe. They too told me it was my MAF but it wasnt!!

If you're still running the stock SMIC, get under the car and check for it. If the piping/couplings/hoses are tight, you have a bad MAF.

Last edited:

Avdigigeek

Ready to race!
Thanks all,
I'm still getting these codes
P0101
P2188

I'm going to check all the piping.
unplug the MAF and check.
Swap the coils and plugs - need it anyway.
clean the air filter

any other ideas anything else I should check?

Avdigigeek

Ready to race!
Thanks all,
I'm still getting these codes
P0101
P2188

I'm going to check all the piping.
unplug the MAF and check.
Swap the coils and plugs - need it anyway.
clean the air filter

any other ideas anything else I should check?

I unplugged the maf and seems to run the same, so I'm going to have to do the rest tomorrow when it warms up here.