GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme Performance and Competition Tires

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Conti DW vs Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2... which would you pick, price and UTOQ rating notwithstanding?

Looking to snag a set of summer tires before the season changes.

Sonny@TireRack.com

sonny@tirerack.com
Conti DW vs Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2... which would you pick, price and UTOQ rating notwithstanding?

Looking to snag a set of summer tires before the season changes.

Tough one. The DW is a little lighter and a bit better in the wet (not as big a difference between these two as the Conti and most others) and also has a more comfortable ride. Though not laser precise, the Goodyear does have a bit better steering response. Although a bit of a coin flip, I would probably purchase the Conti.

Last edited:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Tough one. The DW is a little lighter and a bit better in the wet (not as big a difference between these two as the Conti and most others) and also has a more comfortable ride. Though not razor precise, the Goodyear does have a bit better steering response. Although a bit of a coin flip, I would probably purchase the Conti.

I appreciate the quick response!

I think that seals the deal for me, I've been leaning towards the DW for a while now, but the F1 caught my eye due to the price drop. Just wanted to get an opinion before I made the leap.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I appreciate the quick response!

I think that seals the deal for me, I've been leaning towards the DW for a while now, but the F1 caught my eye due to the price drop. Just wanted to get an opinion before I made the leap.

Tires arrived this morning. Wish everyone had Tire Rack's level of service!

Thanks, Sonny!

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
R came factory fitted with the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT (225-40 ZR18 Y), fairly good on the dry, not so impressive on the wet, a bit hard on bumpy roads. Good tire overall.

Then swapped these for a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, quite better on the dry, substantially better on the wet, and so much more comfortable. Literally an upgrade over the Dunlops

Now waiting for a set of Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, according to reviews these should even be better, will let you guys know.

thegave

Ready to race!
What's the best tire on this list for a DD? What about Michelin PSS and Conti DW? What's the difference between Maximum and Extreme Performance?
Thanks

mlody91

Ready to race!
225/50/18 versus 225/40/18. Michelin PSS

I realize the sidewalls are 10% bigger but at stock height am I wrong to think that fitment shouldn't be an issue?

I would normally just go with the suggested 225/40/18 tyre size just to have some piece of mind but the 225/40/18 are $40-50 more expensive than the 225/50s.......why the hell does one tyre with less rubber and a greater chance of an uncomfortable ride cost more?!! It just doesn't make sense to me.

*Side note - I'm just asking because here in the Midwest Belle Tire is having a "big" sale supposedly and I wanted to take advantage of it. Is $722.88 before taxes for four Michelin PSS tyres with balancing, installation, the whole shpiel a good deal?

mlody91

Ready to race!
Just received a phone call from Belle Tire and I mentioned my query regarding the sidewall and I guess 50s wouldn't clear the perch.

(sigh) $50 extra for 225/40s it is then.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ yeah, 50 profile on a sports summer tire is :eek: glad you got the 40's.

Sonny, I can't for the life of me decide on what extreme summer tire to run... BFG, ZII, RE-11A.. your guys reviews are... somewhat vague :lol: ;) But I did find the specific measurements in the test where they mention braking, etc. However, some enthusiasts have said the ZII can "get greasy" and can go wrong quicker than say the RE11A or BFG Rivals. I've used the old RE-11's in the past, and wasn't that impressed with them, so part of me wants to get something more "racy". Can you give any feedback on this?