GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seat belt latch: rubber cover has disappeared!

player18

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

I just noticed something very weird: on the passenger side of my GTI the rubber/plastic "sleeve" that covers the steel wires anchoring the seat belt latch to the seat is gone.

I am pretty sure it was there before, so am a bit baffled about how it went missing and when.

Did anyone else have the same problem? Any idea of how I could fix it, and if there is a specific part that I should use?

This is the "normal" latch with the cover:

This is the latch with the exposed wires:

Last edited:

player18

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! Yeah, I searched a bit and I think the easiest/cheapest way to go is using felt tape as you suggested.

I am just wondering now HOW did that part come apart: I bought the car used, so it could have already been like this. Except I have had it for more than a year and never noticed before, so that's weird...

zeromaru81

I just noticed mine's missing too, and I had the car for more than 3 years lol. Must have fallen off when I was installing eurocup holder.

player18

Passed Driver's Ed
I just noticed mine's missing too, and I had the car for more than 3 years lol. Must have fallen off when I was installing eurocup holder.
I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this ?

It is weird though since it looks like it is a sleeve that is not removable unless it gets broken...

zrickety

The Fixer
Has it slid down below?

Timo

Ready to race!
Mine is missing on the passenger side too.
I got my R used in 2014 and it was one of the first things I noticed. However, I never bothered asking the original owner if it was like that from factory.

player18

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm starting to wonder if that is the way it is supposed to be, then... It is very weird, though.