GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

tyrolsport deadset question

bebersol

Ready to race!
I have a question for individuals who have had a tyrolsport deadest kit installed for a while (e.g. a year or more).

BTW I have one I'm planning on installing soon.

knowing how aluminum and brass don't always behave so well together, they sometimes do an electrolysis thing that can cause aluminum to do a weird corrosion. Has anyone experienced the aforementioned interaction at the interface of the brass bushings in the deadest kit with the aluminum sub-frame?

thanks

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Interesting, wonder what's the take of Tyrolsport on this possible situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haylo75

Ready to race!
I'm also in a buying mode with the Deadset kit as an option. No verified reported issues that I read during my last two days of research. HYDE16's review thread is good info, specifically this post with pics.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
The brass collars just hold the bolt in place, its not threaded so you shouldn't have electrolysis issues. Also that problem I think comes from heat like how Subaru STI brembo calipers are aluminum but they use grade 10 steel bolts to hold them. They seize together after a while and requires re tapping or a brand new caliper. I have this kit also but since installing them I forgot about it, never bothered to check them so I don't know. I'll check them next oil change when I get under there in the spring.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think I would assemble them with silicone spray and call it a day. They will probably outlast the car.

bebersol

Ready to race!
I think I would assemble them with silicone spray and call it a day. They will probably outlast the car.

I was thinking an epoxy paint on the contact surface , but silicone spray or maybe just some anti-cease lube should be just fine.

BTW the pics in Hyde16’s review didn’t convince me that corrosion wasn’t happening, and that's brass on painted steel, the aluminum is the real culprit.

Was that a Hurricane Sandy car?

Last edited:

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!
You are probably not used to seeing that level of corrosion on a car since you are in Texas. His car is actually quite clean relative to others in this area. :thumbsup:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The collars don't stay all pretty and golden colored, but that's not to say that it's caused by electrolysis. I was just under my car a couple weeks back and the collars were caked in white. Could be salt from the road, could be salt of the electrolysis deposits.

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!

TyrolSport Product Line Group Buy:
We have decided to launch their 2016 group buy with 10% off and free shipping for their entire line of TyrolSport products to help customers prepare for the upcoming street/track season. Follow their order instructions on the group buy forum threads below.
GolfMK6: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2383381