GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlights off with car?

Atty

Ready to race!
I loved my Camry for one thing, when I turned off the car and opened up the door the headlights turned off. After years of this habit I've had to come back to my car a few times after walking away because I noticed I left my headlights on.

Is there a mod/trick to have them turn off with the car?

Thanks!

fredf

Go Kart Champion
You know that the car chimes if you open the door with the headlights on and the engine off?

Skirball

Ready to race!
You know that the car chimes if you open the door with the headlights on and the engine off?

It's amusing, that on a website where people spend ungodly amounts of time and money making mods to their car for the most insignificant of changes and personalization, people still make these comments when it comes to auto-off for the lights. Yes it chimes, but sometimes we forget things. Auto-off is a ridiculously simple and cheap "feature" that is on the most budget of budget cars. Regardless of the assertions that people stupid enough to leave a light on deserve a dead battery, having auto-off would reduce this occurrence and there would be a few less stranded people out there.

I see no reasonable benefit to having a manual switch whatsoever (you could make it so you could still turn the lights back on with the keys off if you think that's really necessary). I think it's short sighted of VW and they're just being stubborn. [/rant]

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
if you get the auto euro switch and put the switch in the 'auto' position the lights will turn on and off with the ignition. just set it and forget it. thats another possibility for you to consider.

BusinessAsUsual

Go Kart Champion
I like that everything is not automatic. Sometimes I need my parking lights on when my engine is off.. during photoshoots :D

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
if you get the auto euro switch and put the switch in the 'auto' position the lights will turn on and off with the ignition. just set it and forget it. thats another possibility for you to consider.

And if it's worth $80 to you, you can add the sensor to make your headlights completely automatic. It's a really simple install too.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
VCDS is the cheapest way....

As far as chime goes, yes it reminds you of that, and all my old cars had it. But all my old cars still turn their lights off automatically also...dumb feature not to have enabled automatically from the factory...

wrightwinger

I 1000% agree with you about your view on other posts on this sub.
we should make these cars how we wish them.

I also 1000% disagree with you about lights, but that's okay!

A. you can remove the switch and it becomes on/off with the car
B. you can get an autoswitch.

but its my view auto on/off headlights are bad (and of course their are various degrees of bad).

the worst way of doing it, is the way ford does it. an "auto" function on the switch, with a light senors, and a dashboard that glows exactly the same with the lights on or off.

auto headlights will take people out of the habit of thinking/controlling their lights.
and using the light sensor means that day time rain, or downtown enviroments, will keep the headlights off.
and a driver will not realize thier lights are off as they can read their dashboard perfectly fine.

ford has started putting a little green light to tell you your lights are on, but on some, you literally have no way of knowing what the lights are up to in auto mode.

so because someone is used to auto, they will be inclined to forget they turned on their lights when they realize they should have them on in the rain etc.

if you want to maintain your manual habit, you'll have an extra worthless setting you always have to avoid when turning on off your headlights.
the worst is having the "auto" feature all the way to the right.(one past the headlights).

VW does the auto headlights the least dumb way possible.
auto function left of the OFF.
lights on/off when the car is on/off.

and you should always have a switch to at least override, because of situations where light is bad.
approaching heavy security gates, star gazing, drive-in movies, etc.

VW dropped the ball in NA without having "parking lights" in these situations.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
It's amusing, that on a website where people spend ungodly amounts of time and money making mods to their car for the most insignificant of changes and personalization, people still make these comments when it comes to auto-off for the lights. Yes it chimes, but sometimes we forget things. Auto-off is a ridiculously simple and cheap "feature" that is on the most budget of budget cars. Regardless of the assertions that people stupid enough to leave a light on deserve a dead battery, having auto-off would reduce this occurrence and there would be a few less stranded people out there.

I see no reasonable benefit to having a manual switch whatsoever (you could make it so you could still turn the lights back on with the keys off if you think that's really necessary). I think it's short sighted of VW and they're just being stubborn. [/rant]

How about taking some responsibility - ? (gasp - what a concept) :mad0259:
First of all, understand how a car operates, and then understand how YOUR car operates. You don't have auto-everything? Then, Gee, the car is chiming, or a light is blinking, telling you something needs attending to.

So do it.

zrickety

The Fixer
6 year old thread, but I'll play. I can't stand auto-lights...like daytime running lights. No reason to waste electricity/gas running lights during the day. I'll control them myself, thank you very much. The euro switch with trigger for parking/city lights was one of my favorite mods. I turn lights on at night, and turn them off when I park. It's not rocket science. Besides, pretty sure the car will auto-off them after a set time even if you forget.

pdan

Ready to race!
Agreed, I strongly dislike auto lights. If I have to start guessing if my lights are on we have a problem. I see nothing wrong with a switch you just have to flick on and off when you get in and out of the car. It’s really not that much to remember, plus the chime is there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk