GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #43
Wideopentuning
Touring Car Champion

Drives: MKVI Gti & MKVII Golf Sportwagen
We will find out today
Wideopentuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #44
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 2 door 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
We will find out today
Awesome! I was hoping so
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
gtimk6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #45
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quick update, definitely a bad seal needing to be replaced. The coil for cylinder 2 also appears to be faulty. At least I have a lead and am going to schedule my car for service once I know the availability on Monday (as well as when I get the parts in).
2010 GTI 6MT CW 2 DR | APR Stage 2, DP, Cabonio Intake, Catch Can, Pendulum | WaveTrac LSD | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | DieselGeek Sigma 6 | AWE Catback DBT | Neuspeed Hi-Flo | ARM FMIC, TOP | NewSouth Boost Gauge | 034 Dogbone, Subframe, Engine/Tranny Mounts | TyrolSport Master Bracket | "R8" Coils
Old 10-16-2016, 11:29 PM   #46
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Nice build so far! I'm a bit jealous of your clutch and LSD. Hopefully you get the coil issue sorted quickly and get her back out on the road.

If youre still looking to go K04 I have one for sale:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107877

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #47
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Nice build so far! I'm a bit jealous of your clutch and LSD. Hopefully you get the coil issue sorted quickly and get her back out on the road.

If youre still looking to go K04 I have one for sale:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107877

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Thank you! I would still love a K04, but I'm too late for yours and I'm going to ride this Stage 2 out for a while. Probably next year for that upgrade.

So here's some more about the car and where it is currently at.

The service manager lent me one of his personal coils to hold me over while my new one came in the mail, due to my P302 CEL. Everything seemed fine on his coil, but the CEL did flash once at high RPM. Once I got my replacement in, it too threw a CEL. First flashing, then steady. I'm going to swap cylinder 1 and 2 plugs and see if this moves the CEL. Hopefully it's just a faulty plug.

The car has been fixed of its leak. The crankcase seal was bad and was recently replaced at an extremely helpful shop. No oil got on the clutch, just the rear of the flywheel, from driving with the bad seal. After everything new was sealed up I went for a drive. It was pouring rain outside, but I watched my RPMs jump quickly in 4th-6th gear without moving much faster. I wasn't spinning the tires at those speeds, it was clutch slip. I was surprised and upset, but was told to drive the car for a little while gently and see what happened. Sure enough, after 200~ miles the clutch holds strong. No slipping at all in any gear. The stiffer clutch is actually quite nice. It feels like a clutch should to me. You know it's there, but it isn't tiring. I stumbled onto this thread http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64975 and bought the $10 clutch stop. It's a wonderful little mod, and makes working this SouthBend clutch a joy.

During the process of Stage 2 I obviously got a DP. The APR catted DP is now paired to my AWE exhaust and honestly it's pretty quiet. There's still no drone, unless you're sitting at a higher RPM/low gear. But that could just as easy be engine noise with my removal of the weather strip and hood lining. I may put them back on to see how it sounds in comparison. WOT it sounds great and not ricey, but honestly not that loud either. Good enough for a nice exhaust, not loud enough to annoy most people. I am not completely sold on partial throttle exhaust right now. It's not bad, but not special either.

Overall the car is great. Fixing this last code and it should be good for a while. It pulls strong is very fun to DD right now.

Lastly I'm planning a small addition of a 8" sub in the rear. The stock system is alright, but lacks oomph. I would rather turn down my stock speaker bass level to give them more headroom, and send the lows to a dedicated sub. The reason I am going with an 8" is because it's not going to take up a lot of room, I don't need massive walls of bass, and this should fill out the low end enough to supplement an otherwise stock system. No reason for an expensive SQ sub setup with the non-Dynaudio speakers I have. The system will cost $400 for the sub, ported box, amp, wiring, and all supporting pieces. Shouldn't be killer, but won't be poor quality pre-bought setups.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #48
thewalkingdad
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Glad you got those issues figured out man.

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
thewalkingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #49
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalkingdad View Post
Glad you got those issues figured out man.
Thanks, though it may not be the plug. I haven't had time to swap out anything just yet. But I'm hoping it's as simple as that.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #50
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

I tried moving plugs and even bought a whole new set, I still get the P0302 CEL. So it's back to searching as to why this might happen. The flashing CEL appears most consistently above 6k RPM in 2nd gear, and after a few times will stay lit.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:14 PM   #51
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtimk6spd View Post
I tried moving plugs and even bought a whole new set, I still get the P0302 CEL. So it's back to searching as to why this might happen. The flashing CEL appears most consistently above 6k RPM in 2nd gear, and after a few times will stay lit.
What's your plug gap set to?

Stratified Cobb Stage 2 | IE Cold Air Intake | ST Coilovers | SPM Downpipe | Rev9 Intercooler| 034 Stage 2 DSG Tune, dogbone, insert, mounts & RSB
Old 10-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #52
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
What's your plug gap set to?
The ones I just took out should be at .032" from when the shop put them in, when the service manager double checked a separate time for me, and from when I most recently took them out. I don't have wire gaps so I couldn't tell if it was exactly .032" or not, I didn't want to ruin them with the cheap little disc gapper I have.

The new plugs, with that same disc gapper, are right around .030"-.031" so between all of those gap I think I've exhausted that idea. I would like to be wrong on this haha.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #53
thewalkingdad

Quote:
The ones I just took out should be at .032" from when the shop put them in, when the service manager double checked a separate time for me, and from when I most recently took them out. I don't have wire gaps so I couldn't tell if it was exactly .032" or not, I didn't want to ruin them with the cheap little disc gapper I have.

The new plugs, with that same disc gapper, are right around .030"-.031" so between all of those gap I think I've exhausted that idea. I would like to be wrong on this haha.
Just to give you some reference, my plugs are gapped at .24

When I was going through my tuning process, the tuner had me close the gap quite a bit. My car was running like crap until I changed the gap. Now it's running like a champ. It may be worth gapping your plugs at .24-.26 and see if it makes a difference for you. I used a cheap autozone gap disc and it worked just fine.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #54
gtimk6spd
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Just to give you some reference, my plugs are gapped at .24

When I was going through my tuning process, the tuner had me close the gap quite a bit. My car was running like crap until I changed the gap. Now it's running like a champ. It may be worth gapping your plugs at .24-.26 and see if it makes a difference for you. I used a cheap autozone gap disc and it worked just fine.
Maybe the shop did set it lower than what I "read" on my gap tool, I trust them more than I do myself haha. But since I now have 2 sets of plugs I might as well give it a shot.

The car runs pretty well though. It just throws that code. But I will still give a smaller gap a test and see how the car likes it. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #55
thewalkingdad

Quote:
Maybe the shop did set it lower than what I "read" on my gap tool, I trust them more than I do myself haha. But since I now have 2 sets of plugs I might as well give it a shot.

The car runs pretty well though. It just throws that code. But I will still give a smaller gap a test and see how the car likes it. Thanks for the info!
I'm anxious to hear back on if the gap fixed your code.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #56
Wideopentuning
Touring Car Champion

Drives: MKVI Gti & MKVII Golf Sportwagen
Andromeda

Definitely try and close the gap a touch and see. We haven't ran into issues at Stage 2 utilizing the stock gap but maybe yours is extra healthy

I'll be around all weekend doing water/meth on another MK6 if you want to go out and do some datalogging.
Wideopentuning is offline   Reply With Quote