GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Dyno Results

danman1280

Ok, well that's good then...at least it's done and you ca n rule that out.

How does the car actually feel? Were there any other cars on the dyno while you were there? If so, what numbers did they run?

Car runs fine, only code I have currently is the good ol' P0420 code. And no, their wasn't any other cars on the dyno that day. Just me. I think best route for me to take is to get some logs and get them over to GIAC for them to review. Alfonso is wanting to take a look at them. Only problem is the mechanic that I go to doesn't have a dyno. So idk....

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
And these were changes that GIAC would make to your tune and you would reflash your ECU?

No, GIAC, APR etc sell static tunes, they are not custom tuners and create one size fits a general mod list/fuel. They distribute through dealers and let the dealers handle any issues but the dealers cannot modify the tunes either.

I worked with Driver Motorsport after GIAC and at the time he was just starting out so I worked with him on a water meth tune. So he dialed it in for my setup which was a typical full on K04 setup with a dual nozzle water meth system. I would do 4th gear runs and logs, he would make adjustments and I would upload his latest tune. We did that for about 10-12 interations dialing it in.

The GIAC tune was solid but not very aggressive compared to the new tunes coming out about 3-4 years ago. DM was new and kind of stirred things up on this platform in terms of tuning. GIAC never followed the trend, so I moved on but was definately a GIAC enthusiast as I had been using them since 2001. Generally get the most aggressive off the shelf tune you can get and run 91 or 93 plus water meth and enjoy daily.

FriggenT1

Banned
No, GIAC, APR etc sell static tunes, they are not custom tuners and create one size fits a general mod list/fuel. They distribute through dealers and let the dealers handle any issues but the dealers cannot modify the tunes either.

I worked with Driver Motorsport after GIAC and at the time he was just starting out so I worked with him on a water meth tune. So he dialed it in for my setup which was a typical full on K04 setup with a dual nozzle water meth system. I would do 4th gear runs and logs, he would make adjustments and I would upload his latest tune. We did that for about 10-12 interations dialing it in.

The GIAC tune was solid but not very aggressive compared to the new tunes coming out about 3-4 years ago. DM was new and kind of stirred things up on this platform in terms of tuning. GIAC never followed the trend, so I moved on but was definately a GIAC enthusiast as I had been using them since 2001. Generally get the most aggressive off the shelf tune you can get and run 91 or 93 plus water meth and enjoy daily.

Oddly enough, I spoke with them before I got my UM tune, and they told me they did do revisions. I also had the DM tune on the f23, which did fine, but I tried the euroshitdyne route, which ended up being a waste of money, and had me chasing a rich code that I never had after switching to UM.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
OP, there is no reason with that turbo being a hybrid k04 that you couldn't make better numbers. Giac will adjust a tune for you, but I would not switch over to some place like APR, they have enough of their own problems, asnd it's an expensive switch. Take a quick look at the 1/4 times and trap speeds. Giac has all of the top k04 times. You will need the datalogs though, get those and send them into GIAC. I'm sure they'll get your numbers up. Also, a list of your mods will help.

GIAC does not adjust tunes. His problem isn't his turbo, it's his tune. He's making close to what GIAC advertises for 93 oct without meth on the H/O file.

APR currently has the strongest KO4 software.

The OP is complaining about dyno numbers, not 1/4 mile times.

You're only missing 25hp. Given the variance between dynos, I would say nothing is wrong. But running logs never hurts.

If you really want to stick with GIAC and make more power, add meth and run their race file (like GIACUser has stated).

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Oddly enough, I spoke with them before I got my UM tune, and they told me they did do revisions. I also had the DM tune on the f23, which did fine, but I tried the euroshitdyne route, which ended up being a waste of money, and had me chasing a rich code that I never had after switching to UM.

They might adjust them over time (revisions) but not for individual owners. I approached them a few times on the prospect of making changes to both the engine tune and the dsg tune but they said no without stuttering.

Bummer, I am going with DM on this new EFR 7163 build so I can get it dialed in again. He is supposed to send me first set of files next week. Unfortunately my motor isn't up and running yet but I am looking forward to a repeat of the K04 process of dialing it in

FriggenT1

Banned
They might adjust them over time (revisions) but not for individual owners. I approached them a few times on the prospect of making changes to both the engine tune and the dsg tune but they said no without stuttering.

Bummer, I am going with DM on this new EFR 7163 build so I can get it dialed in again. He is supposed to send me first set of files next week. Unfortunately my motor isn't up and running yet but I am looking forward to a repeat of the K04 process of dialing it in

How has Bronson been btw? I heard about his medical issues.

FriggenT1

Banned
GIAC does not adjust tunes. His problem isn't his turbo, it's his tune. He's making close to what GIAC advertises for 93 oct without meth on the H/O file.

APR currently has the strongest KO4 software.

The OP is complaining about dyno numbers, not 1/4 mile times.

You're only missing 25hp. Given the variance between dynos, I would say nothing is wrong. But running logs never hurts.

If you really want to stick with GIAC and make more power, add meth and run their race file (like GIACUser has stated).

APR is the most aggressive, yet all the top times are run by GIAC? You don't know wtf you're actually talking about. I'm telling you now that I spoke with them DIRECTLY and they told me they can make adjustments. I went with UM, because the tune and the DSG software was 1k vs a much more expensive GIAC set of tunes. Top k03 time...GIAC and K04 GIAC, both by the same guy that I talk to everyday.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
How has Bronson been btw? I heard about his medical issues.

I don't know much about his personal disposition but he did mention that he just got back from a cruise so I guess he is doing well enough to enjoy travel so that seems like a good indicator.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Hpas ko4 uses the same housing as a f23t but internal wise is no different then any other companies ko4.

FriggenT1

Banned
I don't know much about his personal disposition but he did mention that he just got back from a cruise so I guess he is doing well enough to enjoy travel so that seems like a good indicator.

He had some sort of nerve issue that was wrapping around stuff in his arm...i don't fully recall... one of the shops that sells DM tunes had mentioned something about it a long time ago.

FriggenT1

Banned
Lol so just because it says hybrid makes it a hybrid? Makes sense... not really. Says right in the description its made to oem standards.

Then I guess they shouldn't call it a hybrid and call it a k04 spec turbo right? Not my fault they didn't get the title right.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Then I guess they shouldn't call it a hybrid and call it a k04 spec turbo right? Not my fault they didn't get the title right.

I agree, the title is misleading. I guess they are trying to be transparent in saying that it is not an OEM spec BW turbo but they used the wrong word to describe it lol.

Chris659

Ready to race!
I also believe that 355HP number was done on a stock Gli with their aftermarket intake manifold.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/images/K04-SQUARE.jpg

Not positive if that test Gli had an exhaust or intake or intercooler

Correct! This was their turbo and intake manifold but apparently on stock intercooler, exhaust (don't think it had dp either) and stock intercooler pipes. Can't remember if it had an intake system or not

I use their turbo, manifold, and tune (motor and DSG) for a year now and have been really happy with it

Car has been in the shop for a few weeks now but I finally get to pick it up tomorrow! Just got mounts and lsd done

Got a coupon for a free dyno run from a local company so as long as there's no catches to that hopefully I'll be getting the car dynoed soon ?