GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
Antman
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewiston
Posts: 11
Honda Fanboy turned to 2013 GTI owner

Just got a base 2013 Base Red (really red) 6 speed. Previously owned a 2005 RSX Type s and a 2006 Civic Si 2333 one built before they were all over the place. Got out of cars for a while with a boring Accord but just got the itch to get a performance car again. Was looking to get a Civic Si but noticed pealing clear coat on a few I went to look at. At first I though someone just didn't take care of it but then I saw it on a few others. Started to look at cars in parking lots and noticed it there too. Then looked into it more and there is a paint recall with them so I marked them off the list. I'm not going to buy a car I will have to put 3000 into for a paint job. Too bad because they really are fun cars. Then test drove a GTI. Never been in one before and had a blast so an hour later I bought it. Couldn't believe I bought a VW and was afraid I would regret it but honestly I like the car more every time I drive it. Much more usable power down low then the SI I used to have although I do miss the VTEC kick. The interior Quality is better overall. My favorite part is the Steering wheel. Awesome feel. Worst part is no HID. If I could spend 500 or less to do HID I would but anything above that seems foolish to me. Plans are for new tires in spring. It would be a shame to drive around during the summer on these all seasons. You can't drive these types of cars the way they were meant to on all seasons. Second is a Stage 1 Tune and possibly a clutch if the stock one doesn't hold up (67000 Miles). Third is a stereo. That's about it. Never been one to mod that much but for the gains a stage one is well worth it. I don't think I need to go much faster then that. I have had around 10 speeding tickets in my life. None for quite a while though. Anyway just excited so I figured I would post. Been a long time since I drove something I enjoyed. Anyone live in the Lewiston Maine area. Would be nice to meet up with someone who is into these since I now zero about Volkswagen's.
Antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #2
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion
 
Boscogn's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,075
Welcome brother. I'm not in Maine but feel free to message me anytime u have questions. Check my build thread for info on basic maintenance. I pretty much have everything covered. My favorite thing about this car is it's sleeper status.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
__________________
Wish List: Golf R InterCooler | Unitronic or IE CAI | P3 Air Vent Boost Gauge | 034 Motorsports RSB
NOTE: Please PM me if you are selling anything in my wishlist! Also check out my Build Thread!
Boscogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Antman
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewiston
Posts: 11
Thanks. I'm trying to read through a lot to prevent from asking noob questions. I think I took the sleeper status out by going with the red but the only other one in a 100 mile radius that wasn't brand new was a DSG and I wanted to go with a stick. I'm going to have a shop that specializes in VW and Audi look at it in a month or so to determine what has been done to it as far as major maintenance. One question I have is the timing belt. I have read a few different things but is it a chain? I hope so as I assume you don't have to do it for quite a while if it is. Also have read a lot but it seems as there are no kits that are complete 100 percent plug and play for HID's? I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars so I'm just wondering. If there happens to be one how much does that run? I do know you can't just buy the cheep kits as you will blind oncoming traffic. I would maybe do $700 at the most but I assume that's at least $500 off. I do wish the style of the halogens headlights was the same just with different light. The style that comes on the Lighting package ones looks so much better. I also really like the golf ball style shift knobs. Are the aftermarket ones still high quality? I do like the Knob that comes with it so that's not something I have to do. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I decided to go GTI. The only real bad part is there are a few months of winter before the fun starts.
Antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:59 AM   #4
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion
 
Boscogn's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,075
Many of the shift knobs available people are happy with. So I wouldn't worry there. As far as maintenance is concerned I noticed issues after 8k so I implemented a schedule that accommodates a 7500 mile interval and a 5k interval tuned. I'd say bfi or OEM driver edition are popily

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
__________________
Wish List: Golf R InterCooler | Unitronic or IE CAI | P3 Air Vent Boost Gauge | 034 Motorsports RSB
NOTE: Please PM me if you are selling anything in my wishlist! Also check out my Build Thread!
Boscogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
Boscogn
FIA GT Champion
 
Boscogn's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG 2013 GTI DSG 4DR
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscogn View Post
Many of the shift knobs available people are happy with. So I wouldn't worry there. As far as maintenance is concerned I noticed issues after 8k so I implemented a schedule that accommodates a 7500 mile interval and a 5k interval tuned. I'd say bfi or OEM driver edition are popily

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
As far as the timing chain tensioner as I understand it we are good and have updated tensioner. I'm also rocking the 2013

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
__________________
Wish List: Golf R InterCooler | Unitronic or IE CAI | P3 Air Vent Boost Gauge | 034 Motorsports RSB
NOTE: Please PM me if you are selling anything in my wishlist! Also check out my Build Thread!
Boscogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
Prescription_Bandit
Autocross Newbie
 
Prescription_Bandit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI MK6
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Posts: 74
Nice! Welcome. I also have the 2013(which is the year of the MK6 where they got rid of a lot of the bugs/issues that plagued the earlier models). So far I have no complaints. I've been running stage 2 for the past 2 years and it's still super reliable.

Check for recalls though. In 2014 I got a recall notice for the water pump and the dealership covered it. Just make sure that was done. That's the only recall I've had on my 2013 so far.

If you're going just stage 1, you should be fine the the stock clutch. May wanna consider upgrading your coilpacks to the Audi R8 versions if you do so though, sometimes the stock ones don't hold up so well with tunes.
__________________
2013 Candy White GTI MK6|DSG| 18 Inch Laguna Rims|| Convenience Package||Mods: Injen Short-Ram Intake, Unitronic Stage 2 Tune, Unitronic 3' DP, Beluga Racing Catback Exhaust, Audi R8 Coilpacks, New South Boost Gauge|| Eurobadged.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara TJ
Prescription_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Sachz71
Ready to race!
 
Sachz71's Avatar
 
Drives: Mk6 GTI APR STAGE 1
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antman View Post
Thanks. I'm trying to read through a lot to prevent from asking noob questions. I think I took the sleeper status out by going with the red but the only other one in a 100 mile radius that wasn't brand new was a DSG and I wanted to go with a stick. I'm going to have a shop that specializes in VW and Audi look at it in a month or so to determine what has been done to it as far as major maintenance. One question I have is the timing belt. I have read a few different things but is it a chain? I hope so as I assume you don't have to do it for quite a while if it is. Also have read a lot but it seems as there are no kits that are complete 100 percent plug and play for HID's? I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars so I'm just wondering. If there happens to be one how much does that run? I do know you can't just buy the cheep kits as you will blind oncoming traffic. I would maybe do $700 at the most but I assume that's at least $500 off. I do wish the style of the halogens headlights was the same just with different light. The style that comes on the Lighting package ones looks so much better. I also really like the golf ball style shift knobs. Are the aftermarket ones still high quality? I do like the Knob that comes with it so that's not something I have to do. Thanks for the reply and I'm glad I decided to go GTI. The only real bad part is there are a few months of winter before the fun starts.


One thing I would check is the [tensioner )for that timing chain , make sure you have the revised .



SomeONE POSTed this pic before
I check mine and I ask in this fourom about it and appears I have the updated version .
Sachz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Antman
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: 2013 GTI
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewiston
Posts: 11
I think the VW mechanic Iím going to use mentioned the tensioner as something he was going to look into. I will add the water pump as something to check. Whoever had the car before me took car of it. The inside looks like a brand new car. Just a few scuffs on the front bumper which I will try to buff out in the spring.
Antman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #9
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion
 
Jeffs2013GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Imperial Valley, CA
Posts: 986
Congrats and Welcome to the VW world.

I like you, came totally blind to VW but not from Honda, from Mitsubishi.

I bought my 2013 new Jan of 2013 and its amazing how in 2013 they did change some things. Drivers Edition, Wolfsburg Edition, but when I bought my car there were no such models. They came in like mid 2013. I find that odd.

I have not checked my Tensioner yet, technically you can check it yourself through an access plug, but if your not careful with it you will end up with an oil leak so best to just have a mechanic look at it.

I am on water pump number 4 though. Mind you the pumps themselves dont break or fail, its the seal that does. Stupid design. Took 3 water pump installs till I finally got the revised newest one, no problems since.

I think these GTI's are great cars. I am not a big fan of plastic this and plastic that under the hood, but its not just VW doing it everyone is these days.

Great car, has lots of potential, and I too agree its a very under rated car in the USA. Europe I think it has much more love than here.

Enjoy


Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
gijoewoz
Drag Racing Champion
 
Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffs2013GTI View Post
Congrats and Welcome to the VW world.

I like you, came totally blind to VW but not from Honda, from Mitsubishi.

I bought my 2013 new Jan of 2013 and its amazing how in 2013 they did change some things. Drivers Edition, Wolfsburg Edition, but when I bought my car there were no such models. They came in like mid 2013. I find that odd.

I have not checked my Tensioner yet, technically you can check it yourself through an access plug, but if your not careful with it you will end up with an oil leak so best to just have a mechanic look at it.

I am on water pump number 4 though. Mind you the pumps themselves dont break or fail, its the seal that does. Stupid design. Took 3 water pump installs till I finally got the revised newest one, no problems since.

I think these GTI's are great cars. I am not a big fan of plastic this and plastic that under the hood, but its not just VW doing it everyone is these days.

Great car, has lots of potential, and I too agree its a very under rated car in the USA. Europe I think it has much more love than here.

Enjoy


Jeff
The amount of plastic under the hood is one of my biggest complaints. The battery box, engine cover, and intake all need to go. Sure, they keep things clean, but they look terrible. I'll be getting a new intake for the sole purpose of getting rid of as much of that plastic as possible, once I install that, the battery box and engine cover will go bye bye.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Jeffs2013GTI
FIA GT Champion
 
Jeffs2013GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SB GTI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Imperial Valley, CA
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
The amount of plastic under the hood is one of my biggest complaints. The battery box, engine cover, and intake all need to go. Sure, they keep things clean, but they look terrible. I'll be getting a new intake for the sole purpose of getting rid of as much of that plastic as possible, once I install that, the battery box and engine cover will go bye bye.
The pieces you mentioned in plastic are not even what concern me. I am talking about Plastic DV valves, Plastic Intercooler, Plastic Intercooler Piping, Plastic Intake Manifold, Plastic Water Pump....

And thats just what I can see....One reason my car has been stock for 5 yrs. haha.

Maybe not for long though, I am still on the fence on selling my car and going back to Mitsubishi, I like having no car payment though, that is real nice

So I am not sure. Some folks on here know I have been on the fence for a while. Car payments s u c k though and the fact my GTI is paid for and is actually mine? Makes it the best car to have haha. Just from a modifying standpoint......THATS a different story.


Jeff
Jeffs2013GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
Renck
Rally Car Newbie
 
Renck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn + 2017 GTI SE
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 261
Congrats!

Checking your timing chain tensioner is really easy, more information here:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47128
Renck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:32 AM   #13
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 368
Welcome! MK6 is a great car! Love driving it everyday! Former Honda Fanboy (GSR / S2000 AP2 / Odyssey)
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver
 
notovicrious's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,762
Only 10 tickets?! Lol Welcome bud, youíll fall more and more in as time goes by. No worries just stay active on GolfMk6 and VWVortex and youíll be taken care of. If I were you Iíd make sure you do all necessary 60k service items for peace of mind and go from there. Coil packs/plugs, intake etc...Good luck bro ttys


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.