GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FYI : Technical Bulletin on all 2.0T engines - from 2008 to 2010

trogir13

-------- Per the Technical Bulletin -----------

ALL 2008-2010 vehicles are affected.
August 25, 2010 (release date for Bulletin)
Service Number: 2024061

Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System

Customers may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust area while accelerating from 1800-3000 RPM.

In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the following procedure:

Ensure that there is no physical internal or external damage to the turbocharger. If no damage is observed, proceed to step 2.

2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws.

Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the wastegate actuator rod (figure 1) and take the vehicle for another test drive.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator red the noise is quieter or has changed in pitch, DO NOT replace the turbocharger. Remove the weight, Create VTA ticket in ElsaWeb and Contact the Volkswagen Technical Helpline.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise has not Changed. Remove the weight and Continue diagnosis and repair as necessary.

Note: Use caution when diagnosing the origin of the noise. Although the noise may be originating from the turbocharger, it can be amplified through resonance to the catalytic convener and be misdiagnosed as a loud converter.

Technical Background :
Because of exhaust gas pulsations the Wastegate flap and actuator rod vibrate at the introduction of boost pressure.

There are two threads going on this issue:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4098548-weird-sound-question-09-gti

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4867840-Rattle-on-acceleration

If you are experiencing this issue - I am posting an outline of steps you will want to take if you are not interested in modifying your engine to resolve this on your own - as I am many people out there are not.

Please email me for Bulletin - not having luck attaching it to this post - and i will email it to you.

trogir13

Nov 29 2010

Update from VW Corporate...

I received a call from a 3rd tear supervisor - after complaining for the abuse I was talking from their customer service.

He was very apologetic to the "experience I've had with the first two customer service reps (that are "Regional Case Managers").

He then assured me that VW is well aware (really? - even after the Technical Bulletin acknowledgment? - again your aware?) of this being a "real issue", and that they WILL have a program in place by the end of the year - but more likely in the new year to resolve the noise issue for good.

So... it appears that their relentless stand on " the car was operating as designed and is normal" is/might be over.

NOW is the time to bring your car in and ask for it to be fixed!!!!!!

roborg

Thanks!

I have had my 2009 GTI into the VW Dealer four times asking them to resolve the rattling noise. Each time the adjusted the heat shield which did nothing to solve the problem. Could you please email the Technical Bulletin to me so that I can bring it in to my local VW Dealer? grooters at gmail.com

Thank you!

-------- Per the Technical Bulletin -----------

ALL 2008-2010 vehicles are affected.
August 25, 2010 (release date for Bulletin)
Service Number: 2024061

Rattling Noises from Engine Compartment Area or Exhaust System

Customers may complain of a rattling noise from engine or exhaust area while accelerating from 1800-3000 RPM.

In order to complete proper diagnosis and ensure that the noise is coming from the turbocharger, use the following procedure:

Ensure that there is no physical internal or external damage to the turbocharger. If no damage is observed, proceed to step 2.

2. Test drive the vehicle to duplicate and familiarize yourself with the noise. Noise can typically be duplicated by driving up a moderate incline, beginning at 35 mph in gear (manual or automatic transmission) and accelerating through the RPM range of 1800-3000 RPM under moderate to heavy throttle. Obey all local traffic laws.

Once you have confirmed and familiarized yourself with the noise, attach a 2 ounce wheel weight to the wastegate actuator rod (figure 1) and take the vehicle for another test drive.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator red the noise is quieter or has changed in pitch, DO NOT replace the turbocharger. Remove the weight, Create VTA ticket in ElsaWeb and Contact the Volkswagen Technical Helpline.

If after attaching the weight to the actuator rod the noise has not Changed. Remove the weight and Continue diagnosis and repair as necessary.

Note: Use caution when diagnosing the origin of the noise. Although the noise may be originating from the turbocharger, it can be amplified through resonance to the catalytic convener and be misdiagnosed as a loud converter.

Technical Background :
Because of exhaust gas pulsations the Wastegate flap and actuator rod vibrate at the introduction of boost pressure.

There are two threads going on this issue:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4098548-weird-sound-question-09-gti

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4867840-Rattle-on-acceleration

If you are experiencing this issue - I am posting an outline of steps you will want to take if you are not interested in modifying your engine to resolve this on your own - as I am many people out there are not.

Please email me for Bulletin - not having luck attaching it to this post - and i will email it to you.

Geofux

Ready to race!
Subscribed to thread.

trogir13

I have had my 2009 GTI into the VW Dealer four times asking them to resolve the rattling noise. Each time the adjusted the heat shield which did nothing to solve the problem. Could you please email the Technical Bulletin to me so that I can bring it in to my local VW Dealer? grooters at gmail.com

Thank you!

In Illinois that qualifies for the Lemon Law.

GUS

CHP
Is this the noise coming from the waste gate??? Right before the turbo cracks in?

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion

Same here in PA. Trying to get a lawyer to touch it is another story. Had noise problems with my past jeep no lawyer would bother.

On a side note this is making me want to test drive a FSI just to double check my engine noises........

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
Subscribed... I'm bringing in mine for its 20k service some time next week. I will definitely be pushing this TS on them. Do you think they are going to give me crap for having an aftermarket downpipe? I would really prefer not to reinstall the stock one in these temperatures.

Subscribed... I'm bringing in mine for its 20k service some time next week. I will definitely be pushing this TS on them. Do you think they are going to give me crap for having an aftermarket downpipe? I would really prefer not to reinstall the stock one in these temperatures.

yes... they'll give you shit for an am dp

gkallis

Ready to race!

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion

Dealing with 2 lemons before on the sales side this is what happens...

Customer: I want this car Lemoned
Dealer: What did you say?
Customer: I want this car bought back under the XXX State Lemon Law..
Dealer: OK this is what is going to happen from now on you talk to Corporate and they will deal with your case. Who is going to be representing you?
Customer: I need a Lawyer?
Dealer: Yes, Have a good day and we will be waiting for corporates response after your lawyer does all the necessary paperwork to get the claim filed.

OR...
Customer: I want this car lemoned
Dealer: We cant fix it there is a problem we dont know what but how much you want for the car?
Customer: $15k
Dealer: OK go see your salesman and pick out another car

Guess where it is the next day? On the used car lot Lemon Lawless because now it is used.

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion

This could become a big deal I would remove the DP.

GTIJosh

Passed Driver's Ed
Went in for the 90 day and mentioned this.
They acknowledge the problem and have a fix they don't like.
So they are going to performs Their repairs and wait until they come out with something more permanent. Tech said the really don't like doing this to 2011s.