GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free Hatch Pop!

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Didn't see much on this after a brief search so I thought I'd just throw it out there for those that don't know.

NO NEED to spend $100+ for the ECS kit. Just flip your brackets 180 degrees and Pop! Hatch rises on it's own with a push of the remote.
You'll need 10 minutes and a 27 Torx....:thumbsup:

<edit> Turns out, to make this work reliabley you need to source a set of shorter Ball studs for a few bucks. After doing this it works reliabley every time.

Here's how they look after the flip:

Short stud:

Last edited:

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
There is a thread on this already. Its hard to find but its there. People complained about rubbing issues when you flip the brackets. Ill find the thread later for you to look at

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I did it too , it hardly works under COLD conditions .. and it was rubbing the side
I ended up setting it back to the way it was ...

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
There is a thread on this already. Its hard to find but its there. People complained about rubbing issues when you flip the brackets. Ill find the thread later for you to look at

Figured there was a thread somewhere! Mine don't rub at all...I think the trick there is to push the hatch up as you tighten the brackets. Plenty of clearance for the pivot when you do it this way...:)

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
I did it too , it hardly works under COLD conditions ..

Yeah, read that. Works OK now though. You can pick up higher pressure Pistons at Mcmaster.com for about $15 each. I need to figure out the pressure on these so we know what to buy.

livefast

Ready to race!
So would I get no problems with this in Florida? Like no rubbing? (And what type of rubbing are we talking about here?)

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I thought about doing this awhile ago and heard it took too much additional force to close requiring a touch on the exterior side of the hatch. I hate touching my paint so that was a deal-breaker.

Ray128

Ready to race!
I did it too , it hardly works under COLD conditions .. and it was rubbing the side
I ended up setting it back to the way it was ...

x2...It didn't really work well under any conditions for me. Plus I didnt like to have to force the hatch to close..

leiito1

Go Kart Champion
yea i did this for a while... it works 2 times out of 20.. and yes it rubs on the paint.. sooner or later you have rust marks on the body and the tailgate lifts

livefast

Ready to race!
yea i did this for a while... it works 2 times out of 20.. and yes it rubs on the paint.. sooner or later you have rust marks on the body and the tailgate lifts

:eek: not good. gonna stay away from this one

HOLLIS

Ready to race!
Stay away from this cheap mod

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
^^that's why i got the OEM hatch pop kit :)

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
... it works 2 times out of 20.. and yes it rubs on the paint..

I think it needs the shorter ball studs (like in the kit) to change the angle a bit to be consistent. Got em ordered for $7. I'll up date once received. No rubbing on mine whatsoever..