GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SM_ATL's 2012 Candy White GTI

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
My story starts about a year ago when I replaced my Audi A4 by a new S4. I loved it but soon started to feel a need for more power, better handling, etc. So I spent the next 8 months modding the car: engine tune, intake, exhaust, coil overs, etc. For those who would be interested, here's the link to my build thread on Audizine: B8 S4 Meteor Gray Project. Here's a pic of the car close to the completion of the project:

So, when I thought I had ended up where I wanted with the S4, I took a couple of test drives, just for the pleasure of benchmarking my final product with a couple of references on the market... and that's how I found myself behind the wheel of a Cayman R (and yes, i knew it was not comparable with a 4-door sedan!). I totally and immediately fell in love with the Cayman and soon had it in my driveway:

I also started a -more modest- build thread for this one: 2012 White Cayman R Project.

At this point, keeping the tuned S4 did not make much sense. So I returned it to stock, and sold it as well as most of the parts. Since I still wanted a car with 4 seats, that my son could use when he'll have his driver license and that would be funnier to drive than the family minivan for my wife or myself, I used the equity I had in the Audi to buy... a 2012 Candy White base GTI with the convenience package and sunroof :thumb up:

I definitely wanted to stay in the Volkswagen family (I owned a Vento and 2 Passat's when i lived in Europe and an EOS in the US, before the A4 and S4) and I have not been disappointed with the GTI :wub:

I was not going to leave it 100% stock, but I like to keep a somewhat understated approach and stay visually close to an OEM style. So here's what I have done so far.

Performance upgrade

APR Tune + Stage 2 intake

and the badge + stickers showing I am a BIG fan of what they do!

Drivetrain/Suspension

No picture here... but there's an APR rear sway bar under the car.

Lighting

Silverstar ZXE headlights and 'blue' city lights

Foglights used as DRL (using VAGCOM) and bulbs replaced by LEDs. This is purely aesthetic, but I did it since I have not used fog lights for the past 4 years on my other cars

LEDs for the license plate (+carbon fiber plate holder)

And finally, smoked side reflectors. I had originally ordered clear reflectors and received smoke instead. I tried them on and liked the contrast better and going well with the color theme of the car

Nothing like a good road companion

Like in my other cars, I have hardwired a Valentine V1 radar detector. It had done a great job before and saved me a lot of $$ so far. Maybe I'll go for a laser jammer later (I have a very good experience with the Blinder M27 on the Porsche).

Other visual stuff...

Got 40% tint for the windows and the essential GTI badge ;)

There will be a FEW more things to come, but I have decided not to go too crazy on the GTI. It is already very fun stock and is even better with the tune + intake + sway bar. I will probably not go for coil overs or an aftermarket exhaust as I would like to preserve the comfort of the ride for now.

Last edited:

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
Interior lighting

Nothing revolutionary last night... re-used a set of LED's I had for the cabin and installed red w5w's for the footwells. Sorry for the bad quality pic!

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Looking good man, nice choice on the Porsche. My brother is a service mangager for a Porsche dealership in our neck of the woods. Always drooling when I go and see him at work. I,ve been looking at those cf license plate holders as well... Think you just sold me on them. Welcome to the forum!

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
where did u get ur H8 LED fog light bulb from??

Got them from iJDMtoy.com. Works fine but the 'error free decoder wiring' is hanging loose and the LEDs flicker a few times when you turn them on.
Pretty inexpensive though.

P

plac

damn... the S4 didn't have enough power for you... GTI owners dream of S4 power.

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
damn... the S4 didn't have enough power for you... GTI owners dream of S4 power.

The S4 had enough power with the installed upgrades:
APR 93 Octane Stage II tune
APR Stage I+II Carbonio Intake
APR RSC Exhaust, black diamond tips
APR Supercharger Pulley
APR Coolant Reservoir

Here was a quick video showing it could be very quick at startup with a nice intake/exhaust sound: http://youtu.be/lrk00i1N4P4

The point was more about the drivetrain. Sure the Quattro is great and super capable in all circumstances, but the road feel and handling is far superior on the Cayman R I bought after that. You can almost feel the texture of the road and the car just follows your direction instantly :happyanim:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Awesome car! I was thinking of doing the red footwell, white everything else too and wanted to see how it looked :) Is it a lot brighter inside with the LEDs?

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
Awesome car! I was thinking of doing the red footwell, white everything else too and wanted to see how it looked :) Is it a lot brighter inside with the LEDs?

In fact its rather the opposite and it is overall a little darker inside (more direct vs. diffuse lighting and bluish color). The lighting level is sufficient though. :cool:

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
Quick and inexpensive visual upgrades...

GTI doorsill plates bought from China on eBay

Aluminum valve stem caps... a couple of bucks on Amazon

And the GTI key fob!

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
Testing lighting options

The LED's replacing the fog lights look nice as daytime running lights but were really not up to the task in terms of lighting. :23:

Even though I did not think it would be a problem initially, I'll probably will have to drive through the Appalachians a couple of times this Winter and sacrificing form over function was not a good idea after all... I bought a pair of Hoen xenonmatch bulbs (had the same on my Audi). Not the brightest, but good enough and still a bit bluish for DRL use. The following picture shows the Hoen bulbs vs. the LED's I had installed. More yellow... but much brighter too.

While I ordered the Hoen bulbs for the fog lights, I also ordered a par of xenonmatch for the headlights, and yes they look a lot more blue than the ZXE I had before (Silverstar ZXE on driver side, Hoen xenonmatch on passenger side):

But again, the nicer (=more blue) option was not the best in terms of light output:

So, I finally went for what was the best performance/looks compromise and kept the ZXE for the headlights and am using the xenonmatch as DRL/foglights.

This is probably where I will stop in terms of lighting as I only want to invest more significant $$ amounts in performance upgrades for this car.

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
Blue aspherical mirrors

I have had aspherical mirrors on all my cars, can't live without it. The blue tint is a nice touch even though the mirrors themselves do not have the same quality as OEM (just the finish, vision is perfect).

5mm spacers at the rear

Just a subtle visual touch. Will deal with rims in a few months...

Next step: H&R coilovers. Ordered and on their way...:happyanim:

SM_ATL

Ready to race!
A few more things... and looking for advice on BBK

Splurged a bit this week end and have a few more goodies on order: APR catback exhaust, S3 short shifter, Michelin PSS's, Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit and a couple more visual enhancements.

Still on the fence for a BBK or full Golf R brakes kit. I was very happy with my StopTech BBK kit on my S4, but R brakes kits are available for the same price and offer a nicer balance / replacement for all 4 wheels and are OEM.. :bonk:
Has anyone a good piece of advice for me! The car will not be tracked but will be used for extended spirited driving sessions in the mountains.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You sir, are a king among men.... I've been looking at S4's, just can't justify the cost right now. And that Cayman R.. hot damn.

For a tight budget and best performance, I'd buy both the front and rear R32's from ECS Tuning, its just that you need to remember that they are heavy.