GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 & Mk6 suspension the same?

PDUB

Ready to race!
I've heard different answers on this, are the Mk5 & 6s suspension the same? Will Mk5 shocks/coils/swaybars fit on both models?

Dennis Moeller

Passed Driver's Ed
Most PN's aren't the same but reports says that it fit's anyway...most After market suppliers haven't got all their stuff ready for the 6 just yet. If you think of the standard OE suspension; the 6 are supposed to be revised and more refined too?!

zee

Go Kart Champion
I am curious too. Some say it fits, some say it is different. I have not yet seen a poster here or at other forums who has tried MkV kits on a MkVI.
The A3 FWD, MkV GTI and Jetta all weigh different but have generally thesame aftermarket part numbers. It is weird that new kits will be thrown out for MKVI if it fits as suggested.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
I am curious too. Some say it fits, some say it is different. I have not yet seen a poster here or at other forums who has tried MkV kits on a MkVI.
The A3 FWD, MkV GTI and Jetta all weigh different but have generally thesame aftermarket part numbers. It is weird that new kits will be thrown out for MKVI if it fits as suggested.

mkv koni's coils have been confirmed fit on mkvi's

and 2 vortex members run mkv ultralows on mkvi's w/out problems. i think everything will fit just fine. the reason for the different p/n is the weight of mkvi's are less then mkv's, thus they may have different load ratings/spring rates now

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Differences between MK5 and MK6

I've heard different answers on this, are the Mk5 & 6s suspension the same? Will Mk5 shocks/coils/swaybars fit on both models?

I just spoke with Gary at Neuspeed and he informed me the shocks are the same, but the spring design is slightly different. He informed me, the spring rates for MK5 and MK6 are identical, but there are differences in the physical dimensions when it comes to installation. That is all that I know.

For now, given that this is my DD that I don't plan to track, I decided to go with the Sport Spring setup only. The car has less than 500 miles on it and Gary at Neuspeed said the stock dampeners would work fine with the Neuspeed springs.

pyro h4cker1

Ready to race!
I just spoke with Gary at Neuspeed and he informed me the shocks are the same, but the spring design is slightly different. He informed me, the spring rates for MK5 and MK6 are identical, but there are differences in the physical dimensions when it comes to installation. That is all that I know.

For now, given that this is my DD that I don't plan to track, I decided to go with the Sport Spring setup only. The car has less than 500 miles on it and Gary at Neuspeed said the stock dampeners would work fine with the Neuspeed springs.

gary should know that after about 20k the added stress to your stock shocks will make them really rough, and you'll need to replace them.

Trust me, i've done about 40 suspension installs, springs+stock struts= one way road to an uncomfortable ride

rides nice at first.. but give it time

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
have the same question.. do they share the same sway bar spec? or different due to weight distribution.. thx

Only the OEM rear sway bar is bigger than on the MKV....by 1 or 2mm I believe too

But all the sway bars that would fit on the MKV, will work on the MKVI as well :thumbsup:

gvyz

Passed Driver's Ed
I talked to Neuspeed as well. The sales told me that the MKVI are 1 inch lower than the MKV. Although the MKV shocks will fit on the MKVI, but this is not recommend.

Actually, Eibach and H&R already have the shock/spring kit for GTI MKVI. Neuspeed have the spring and Bilstein (mono) have the shocks for MKVI.

So far H&R is the best deal.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
I'm running BSH 27mm solid bar for MKV on the MKVI, no problem.
Also BFI Torque insert.

saucer

Leadfoot
gary should know that after about 20k the added stress to your stock shocks will make them really rough, and you'll need to replace them.

Trust me, i've done about 40 suspension installs, springs+stock struts= one way road to an uncomfortable ride

I had read lowering springs will eventually kill shocks, but I had no idea it was this soon! I thought they were good for about 50k....?

Well crap, I was planning on going cheap with some springs, but I may have to get a cup kit.

oldskool (sce)

Batmobile

pyro h4cker should know that that depends on road conditions and how you drive the car or launch it off speed bumps. I had springs on my mkv just springs for about 40,000 miles and the ride was fine, no bs of harsh rides, blown shocks none of that.

lewylou78

Ready to race!

Are you sure about this? I have a set of OEM springs and OEM struts/shocks off a 2009 MK5 2-door GTI and the struts/shocks have the same exact part numbers as the struts/shocks on my 2011 GTI 4-door. I coudn't tell any physical difference between the springs from the 2009 GTI vs the 2011 GTI, they even had the same color coded dots.

I plan on using the MK5 2009 GTI OEM struts/shocks on my 2010 Golf 2.5L along with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, the 2010 Golf OEM struts/shocks seem to have a different part numbers (even though they look exactly the same) from the MK5 2009 GTI OEM struts/shocks and I'm sure they would wear out faster too. I also have the front sway bar links off the 2009 GTI if I need to use them in case the 2010 Golf front sway bar links are longer.