GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY poor mans WORKING auto pop trunk hatch

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
I know ecs I believe sells the auto trunk pop kit for 100$ great price and great mod for our cars. But I just dont have the funds for it so I decided to see if anyone had a DIY cheaper and works just as well. No one had a good DIY without some kind of repercussions a.e... paint scratch not fitting or closing damage to the shocks etc.

Here’s what I came up with try if you’d like works 100% for me and no damage and no extra parts needed.(DO AT YOUR OWN RISK)

Tools needed :
1.Torx 30 screwdriver
2.flat head screw driver
3.friend or something to prop the latch while you do the easy work.

STEPS:

1. open trunk easy enough…
2. take the flat head and pop off the clips for the struts and remove the struts/shoks.
3. take the torx screw and remove the black latch/hinge that goes on the body of the car and flip it the other way around with the ball closer to the body than the outside.(this makes the clearance for the strut to properly retract without damaging the car.)
4. take the strut and flip it the other way around and reinstall it with the clips to lock into place.(piston part pointing to the latch/trunk and skinny part on the body of the car.
5. do the same for the other side.

Now press and hold the trunk button on the key and BAM!!! pop trunk for free .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pTMqWTrZr0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Only drawback so far is there’s about 1"inch less that it opens and doesn’t always open all the way on it own depending on the temperature. (The colder it is the less power the struts have)

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I'd love to do this or the ECS mod but the 1" less opening means my head will be hitting the edge of the tailgate.

DREKO

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks IDEAL214, I just did it. Works great! The one inch less opening isn't really noticeable, I always had to duck under the hatch anyways. Thanks for the find.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I'm 6"3 and I hit my head regardless lol so not much of a bother to me honestly I'm used to watching for objects above my head.

Problem is im careless lol. I'd hate to walk into class with a huge bump on my head :p

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Nice find. I'm trying this tomorrow!

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Didn't read all of it but if your flipping the struts it will rub your paint. Look it up.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
Didn't read all of it but if your flipping the struts it will rub your paint. Look it up.

Yes but flipping the hinge on the car side is what stops it from rubbing. If you try it flip the hinge it gives you the same clearance as before for the struts not to rub.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes but flipping the hinge on the car side is what stops it from rubbing. If you try it flip the hinge it gives you the same clearance as before for the struts not to rub.

I take it back there is one I searched for it but couldn't find it but just as he said tighten with the bracket as far up as you can and it doesn't rub but yes it doesn't always work but for those without funds for a 100$ kit it's worth a shot atleast for me it is. That's y I decided to share it . Couldn't find the other thread when I searched it so sorry about that in advance to the other thread really truly apologize. It is the same procedure I'm guessing.

Tecni

Ready to race!
I tried this today. It didn't work at all. I tried opening it several times and nothing... It just sat there and keep in mind it was hot out so it should have worked.

Also I noticed that its much more than an inch of clearance that you lose. I'm 5'6 and its right up to my head.

Ideal214

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried this today. It didn't work at all. I tried opening it several times and nothing... It just sat there and keep in mind it was hot out so it should have worked.

Also I noticed that its much more than an inch of clearance that you lose. I'm 5'6 and its right up to my head.

Yeah mine didn't work for a while but now works every time for me you might have to tweak it a bit make sure you pull up the hinge and tighten it as far away from the car as you can so the strut will clear. It's not perfect but has worked every time for me might also be because my struts are brand new. So that might account for something also I did grease the strut also with general purpose grease. As I said not perfect but works great for me so far.

jeproks

Thanks OP. I was waiting for the ECS kit to become available and I saw this thread just now. I did the bracket and strut flip and it works!!! No paint rubbing either. Only downside is it requires more force to close the hatch than before. I might order the spring loaded bump stops to aid the struts during the cold days.

Tornado Red FTW!