Ready to race!
Did you get it figured out?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Did you get it figured out?

Not quite...

I'm 99% sure that this is my issue:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42526

The deal was that my reverse lights on the inners were always on AND the left turn signal was always on. The break lights didn't come on at all and the right outer seemed dead.

The harnesses provided were absolute crap. The flat end that connects to stock wires was a struggle to get in on every single light.

When I put stock back in, I noticed that the right outer harness actually had one pin/wire pushed completely out of place....

But yeah, all harnesses were wired like the "bad" ones in the link referenced above.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
===LED TAIL LIGHTS===
04; ROW; halogen(GTI); DRLs=LED(+Parking Lights); Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
15; ROW; halogen(GTI); DRLs=Incandescent; Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
41; ROW; Xenon; DRLs=No (LED Parking Lights); Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
44; ROW; Xenon DRLs=No; Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
22; ROW/Japan;halogen; DRLs=No; Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
3F; Ska; Xenon; DRLs=perm Low Beams; Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
43; Ska; halogen; DRLs=perm Low Beams; Tail Lights=LED; Rear Fog-Yes
1F; NAR; halogen; DRLs=Incandescent; Tail lights=LED; Rear Fog=No
21; NAR; halogen; DRLs=LED(+Parking Lights); Tail lights=LED; Rear Fog=No

If this was in your drop-down in vcds for byte 18, I can tell you that 1F, 04, and 21 were NOT there...

Weird thing about 21 being the right code for the R is that it says "halogen" but the R's have xenons...

ErikEsGTI

OK so I have the Xenon headlights w/ LED DRL (2012 GTI Autobahn Edition). I installed the Euro Golf R LED taillights w/ the rear fog light (thanks dad in Germany!). Getting VAGCOM cable next week. The option below seems to make the most sense, right? Do I really need to get that Euro switch and rewire everything?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
OK so I have the Xenon headlights w/ LED DRL (2012 GTI Autobahn Edition). I installed the Euro Golf R LED taillights w/ the rear fog light (thanks dad in Germany!). Getting VAGCOM cable next week. The option below seems to make the most sense, right? Do I really need to get that Euro switch and rewire everything?

I believe it everything but the fog will work with no Euro switch or wiring... I stand to be corrected.

Uberryan

Banned
FTR, I have a GTI so your results may vary. I used 1F per the DIY on vortex, and have a Xenon equipped car, with no DRLs, and no rear fog on my OEMs. It worked fine, and didn't decrease or increase any sort of brightness to the lighting on my car.

ErikEsGTI

So for my 2012 GTI Autobahn DSG w/ LED DRLs, I think the directions below should work, right? My R Tinted LED taillights w/ rear fog are already installed. Does anyone have this exact setup and had success with the directions below? If so, did all Euro switch positions work as they were supposed to?

- Install Euro switch (no auto).
- Install wire from headlight harness pin 3 to T52/A (black connector box) pin 19 to enable the parking light signal.
- Install wire from headlight harness pin 7 to T52/A (black connector box) pin 17 to enable the rear fog signal.
- Remove grey wire with white stripe from pin 28 of T52/A (black connector box).
- Remove blue wire with green stripe from pin 47 T52/C (brown connector box).
- Switch the positions of these two wires so grey wire with white stripe is in 47 of T52/C (brown connector box) and blue wire with green stripe is in 28 of T52/A (black connector box).
- Recode Central Electronics Module byte 18 from 0x20 to 0x04.

:word:

Last edited:

alejandroccs

Hi guys,

Anyone in or around the central jersey area, with VAG-COM, willing to help for a case of beer or modest contribution?

I'm trying switch to LED OEM tail lights, but they won't work (had read they would be plug and play in another forum)...

When I turn the light switch, turning signal and reverse lights come on and the red lights stay off. When I pull the lever for turning signals, then the red lights come on as turning signal...

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,

Anyone in or around the central jersey area, with VAG-COM, willing to help for a case of beer or modest contribution?

I'm trying switch to LED OEM tail lights, but they won't work (had read they would be plug and play in another forum)...

When I turn the light switch, turning signal and reverse lights come on and the red lights stay off. When I pull the lever for turning signals, then the red lights come on as turning signal...

I referenced this in a post above but I'll post it again just for you:

You have bad harnesses... ECS got a bad batch. It's not coding at all. They SHOULD work perfect, just with a bulb error in the dash. Contact ECS immediately and have them send you fixed harnesses.

However, if you do need vcds coding and want to travel to lehigh valley area in PA, I can help out. Just pm me:thumbsup:

Last edited:

alejandroccs

I referenced this in a post above but I'll post it again just for you:

You have bad harnesses... ECS got a bad batch. It's not coding at all. They SHOULD work perfect, just with a bulb error in the dash. Contact ECS immediately and have them send you fixed harnesses.

However, if you do need vcds coding and want to travel to lehigh valley area in PA, I can help out. Just pm me:thumbsup:

Thanks!!! I've been reading threads all day trying to figure this out - skimmed right past your prior link.

My harnesses are indeed suspect - one of the pins came off as I was connecting them. I'll try the surgical procedure that phd recommended - swapping pins 1 and 3...

Still might need your help with taking the bulb error out - will let you know :thumbsup:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Just FYI- I used 21 for byte 18 and the bulb error went away. However, I am concerned that the xenons might be static... In other words they might not turn anymore. I'll test in a quick drive when it gets dark, but when I started the car in the garage they did not do their "startup dance"...

Edit: confirmed xenons continue to point the way! Coding 21 is the way to go for the R!

Last edited:

alejandroccs

Just FYI- I used 21 for byte 18 and the bulb error went away. However, I am concerned that the xenons might be static... In other words they might not turn anymore. I'll test in a quick drive when it gets dark, but when I started the car in the garage they did not do their "startup dance"...

Ok, let me know how the test goes... I've noticed mine don't do their dance every time, and not sure what triggers it...

I swapped the pins, and the tail lights work! :happyanim: Of course, there is a short light show at start up, and the computer gives me error messages for all four lights, but they work perfectly.

I'm up for a drive to PA whenever convenient if you are still available - don't mind driving these days...:thumbup: Thank you again!