GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #29
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
1.5x safety factor is not multiplied to the torque holding rating but the engine output. I'll elaborate when I get back to a computer.

Sent via TapaTalk, butchered by autocorrect
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #30
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsfeverguy View Post
Complete kit with lightened one mass flywheel (7.2kg) Transmittable Torque 530+Nm

One important thing to notice is the + sign after the torque rating figure. The general agreement is that these SRE clutches are rated to 1.5 times the conservative rating. Therefore, the clutch should hold pretty much hold whatever you throw at it unless you dump the clutch regularly...
Quote:
SRE products are always quoted as having conservative figures. Wouldn't you rather a manufacturer under quote than over quote. I know that normal Sachs clutch kits (OEM + Aftermarket) have a safety factor of 1.5 x the engine output as standard.

How do i know this?? i work for them as a technical support technician, carrying out day to day warranty testing, reports and also technical training on clutch, DMF, suspension etc etc.

I'd be interested to know more about the OP's findings etc if/when the clutch gets dropped out.
Regards
Daniel
What I hear here is that while SRE underquotes their torque holding figures, it is not as OP said that there is an additional 50% holding torque above the specified 580 Nm rating (which would be 870 Nm). What Daniel is saying is that they match their clutches to engines such that there is a 50% headroom above engine output in torque holding capability.

This is not going to deter me from the SRE option personally, just trying to get the language straight here so there are no misconceptions.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #31
Stigar
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 VW CC
So it seems you almost have to pick the beast parts from all the different clutch companies to get one that chinga our clutch kits. I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do with a clutch and I might regret it later. Looks like I'm gonna have to go on a fact finding mission and do several different clutches over the next 8 months and give a full report on which is crap and which isn't.
APR K04 # 45 vwr eng & tranny mounts & pendulum mount & short throw shifter/ typhoon k&n CAI/ nuespeed throttle body pipe & turbo discharge & underdrive pulley/ h&R SS coil overs/ APR DP and IC/ nuespeed CBE/nitto nt555r drag radials/ nuespeed slotted rotors & hawk brake pads/ bsh comp catch can/R8 coil packs/ spec stage 3+ clutch kit::: soon to come///apr stage 3+/stoptech 328mm bbk
Stigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2010 Gti
Not sure what you mean...

The obvious choice here is what VW uses for it's racing efforts.

http://www.volkswagen-motorsport.com...st=576&id=4536

And yes that car has a sequential gearbox and 4wd and a turbocharged 2.5.

Nevertheless, pretty obvious whom vw trusts with their high bhp cars

Last edited by carsfeverguy; 10-10-2012 at 12:13 AM.
carsfeverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #33
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Updated first post with direct reply from Sachs regarding torque numbers.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
webcrawlr
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Golf R
Hey carsfeverguy, hows the noise now? Have you had anyone with a stock clutch check yours out to see if they feel the same way you do?
webcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

The meets here in toronto have dwindled down due to cold weather... so no one else has heard or experienced my setup... That said, I have only had it for less then a month, so it's not like I have forgotten how the stock clutch felt.

There are no added vibrations in the cabin, like I said, there is a very limited audible feedback when at idle(my turbo blanket added that) and when the ac is on it is just a tinny bit louder. 1/4 volume(pretty low on the dynaudio) completely covers that up, but all be told, I find that it adds another character dimension to the car experience.

On the weekend I drove for 2 days a well running mk4 jetta TDI. and my wife mentioned that that my car is really refined and silent compared to that.

Again, no chatter or noise while the car is moving.
The car has a cool little extra sound attribute when leaving from a standstill, reminding you it is not a stock clutch. I like it.

And yes gear noises are present when decelerating, because racekar :P

As soon as I'll get to meet with some forum members who drive manual/southbend clutches, I'll bring it to their attention to make their own comments on this thread.

I know lots of folks are curious/ worried, just ding my part to help the community.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Here is a clip of how quiet the chatter is
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #37
oSniper
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CSG MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsfeverguy View Post
Here is a clip of how quiet the chatter is
wow i don't hear anything!
sound clip of decelerating please?
oSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #38
mg_90
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 11 GTI
Thanks for the review and the video!

My clutch just started slipping in the 104 octane map one month ago, and yesterday also in the 98 octane map only 16000km after the APR Stage 1...

Some friends used just the Sachs pressure plate and clucth disc, but now the DMF is starting to make noise, thats why I wanted to hear some feedback of this Sachs kit, now Im 100% convinced.
mg_90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #39
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Decelerating noises
2nd gear

3rd gear
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
speed4568
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 CW GTI Autobahn 6MT
sounds good
2012 CW GTI 6MT Autobahn, REVO stg 2, RSR clutch, Peloquim LSD, AWE DP, BSH stg 1 intake, VF-Engineering Mounts, New South Boost Gauge, Golf R LED Tails, Euroswitch, Unibrace Ub Xb, 4300k fogs, VAG-COM Tweaks, Beltronics STI-R Plus, LI Quad
speed4568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #41
TXBDan
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: .
Nice, i bet this is a solid option. Can you take a vid of the chatter outside of the car? I can't hear any chatter at all in those vids. That's either a good thing, or the phone just isn't catching it.
TXBDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #42
carsfeverguy
FIA GT Champion

Well the phone is an iPhone 5... When playing the video of where I play with the radio and AC to compare the chatter level, you should play it in HD and you should turn the sound all the way up. I can hear it on my system... Then again, I have to say that it is pretty inoffensive.

Around the engine bay, I don't hear any chatter with AC off but the Direct Injection taca taca taca noise is the prevalent thing.