GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews (and compares) - HPA Motorsports Core Interlock Lower Motor Mount

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Here’s an impromptu review on the -HPA Red 75 durometer core interlock lower motor mount- (part number HVW-904-75). I had this installed after unexpectedly realizing my OEM mount failed.

Linden Volkswagen / Motorsport:
After Garden State Euro’s recent -sponsorship announcement- with -Linden Volkswagen / Motorsport- some of our members visited the monthly Linden Volkswagen GTG in New Jersey to meet their staff. Linden VW has enthusiast GTG’s once a month at the service showroom with a solid turnout of cars, food, drinks, VW films, freebies, aftermarket products and dealership modified cars on display. We met with the owner Mike, the service consultant Dennis, the digital marketing manager Ken and a service technician named Mike. I can say this is the first dealership I have every come across that is extremely “mod friendly” and truly wants to give back to the community. The Linden VW GTG organizers are true enthusiasts with their own cars heavily modified for daily driving or track driving. Make sure to check out the owner Mike’s turbo’d R32 daily driver and track car with 500AWHP! We also had the opportunity to hang out with -NJ DiRTY EuRO’s-, check them out on Facebook if you live in Central NJ, they are a great group of guys running a quality club.

Up On The Lift:
During our cruise to Linden VW, my club members called me to say my driver’s side rear tire looked like it was wobbling. As soon as we got to Linden VW, I told Ken about my concern over one of my snow tires. They immediately threw it on a lift to double check everything for me. While on the lift, Mike the service technician noticed that my Autotech lower mount insert chewed through my OEM rubber mount. Luckily since Linden VW is an -HPA Dealer- and had the -HPA Red 75 durometer core interlock lower motor mount- (part number HVW-904-75) in stock. Within 5 minutes, Mike had the HPA mount installed and off the lift.

Lower Motor Mount (Pendulum Mount) Options:
The Autotech insert was my first stage to firming up the OEM rubber mount. I knew down the line I would want to try a more solid full mount replacement and had gone back and forth on the HPA Red 75 durometer mount and Volkswagen Racing solid mount. I had tried the insert option (Autotech vs. BFI vs. other poly inserts) and wanted to try a full replacement mount next. I’ve read good MK6 GTI reviews on HPA’s red mount which discussed low NVH and the benefits for daily drivers. I came across one MK5 GTI review on the VWR solid mount but it seemed there were more tradeoffs vs. the HPA mount. I knew one day I’d have to bite the bullet for the $189 HPA mount and I’m glad this is the one I had installed.

Comparison to the Autotech Insert:
While cheap and effective, it did end up chewing through my OEM rubber mount. The back of the mount was crushed and had a rubber gel/ooze coming out from it (not the soap from installation, definitely deteriorated rubber). When Mike pulled the Autotech insert out it was coated with the same black rubber mess. After reading the increased NVH that certain DSG owners get from solid polyurethane mounts I was nervous to start up my 6-speed. It was a cold startup in 40 degree weather, the car started up smooth as usual, no discernable difference, I was shocked. Immediately threw it into first to feel the clutch engagement and NVH from getting into gear. Similar to before, a slightly added level of NVH but still smooth and quiet. I threw it into reverse for the biggest test, same thing, a slightly added level of NVH but still smooth and quiet. Driving home I noticed a more positive engagement and that the shifter moved through the gates smoother. It could have been the cold weather but my exhaust note changed slightly. During hard acceleration and shifting the engine felt much smoother and refined due to the solid mount design. The original OEM mount with the metal Autotech insert still allowed for some flex which I felt was now cleaned up. Overall I feel the HPA mount added maybe 5%-10% more NVH than the Autotech insert which is NOTHING when comparing the swiss cheese OEM rubber mount to the solid HPA polyurethane mount. I highly recommend this mount for any enthusiasts who want to firm up their drivetrain while limiting NVH or cabin noise. Sorry for the picture quality below, as I said this was an impromptu review so I had to resort to my iPhone camera.

This is the side of the OEM mount you would see from under the car, notice the deterioration from the Autotech insert on the right. The marks on the left are from taking the mount out.

This is the side of the OEM mount that would face up into the engine bay (rotated 180 degrees from the last picture), notice the cracking from the Autotech insert on the left side. The marks on the right are from taking the mount out.

Ahhh, nice and shiny new HPA mount

Last edited:

f00kie1

Go Kart Champion
Wow, yours sticks out quite a bit. Mine is actually inside the cavity. I wonder if there's a performance/noise difference?

Ken@LindenVW

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, yours sticks out quite a bit. Mine is actually inside the cavity. I wonder if there's a performance/noise difference?

The beveled part of the mount is maily for asthetics purposes. It has a hard edge that lines up with the bottom of the mounting location in the sub frame. Combined with the groved sidewall, this gives you maximum bite, and the most material in the cavity.

:thumbsup:

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
Anybody else have feedback on this?

I've yet to see any negative reviews but I'm concerned about long term implications. Hyde mentioned that after prolonged use the HPA causes the upper OEM mount to fall apart.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

I've yet to see any negative reviews but I'm concerned about long term implications. Hyde mentioned that after prolonged use the HPA causes the upper OEM mount to fall apart.

I've had mine in for about a year now. It's awesome, still one of the best mounts I've done. I recommend this over the inserts to everyone.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

My upper mount was shredded and after installing the VWR upper and lower subframe mounts, NVH went DOWN.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Another excellent review by Hyde :clap:
Regarding the installation process, does it require dropping the subframe? If not, what tools are required to remove the OEM puck?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Another excellent review by Hyde :clap:
Regarding the installation process, does it require dropping the subframe? If not, what tools are required to remove the OEM puck?

Thank you, no need to drop the subframe, you can literally remove the center bolt, pry out the old mount, bang the new HPA one in and torque a new bolt to spec.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you, no need to drop the subframe, you can literally remove the center bolt, pry out the old mount, bang the new HPA one in and torque a new bolt to spec.

Cool...man! This is great info :thumbup:

mfractal

Ready to race!
Great review as always Hyde! So is there any recommendations for lowest possible nvh lower mount on a dsg car?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Great review as always Hyde! So is there any recommendations for lowest possible nvh lower mount on a dsg car?

I think any subframe related upgrade will cause NVH, if you are going to accept NVH for performance then I would go with the VWR subframe mount right off the bat.

zrickety

The Fixer
I've been running the red HPA for 2 years/60k on the manual car, it's been perfect. It's noticeable only when new, makes you a better driver and helps the car. I would recommend this first and the S3 or whiteline bushings as the next mod.

Last edited: