GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine break in period *VW specified*

A_Bowers

I've seen a bunch of threads and comments made about run in or "breaking in" our motors....

This is straight out of my 2012 owners manual. Take it for what you will. Do what you would like,, all I'm doing is passing it along.

I followed this. And have with my other vehicles.

J3553

Passed Driver's Ed
dealership told me i could drive it like i stole it right off the lot. good thing i didn't listen to them.

yoffer

Go Kart Newbie
There are many different ways ive read to break in a engine. Some people say to run them hard and others to take it easy. Ive done both on multiple engines ive rebuilt and havnt had and issues. I do recommend changing the oil after the first few hundred miles.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
"Break In Period"

1) Your car is purpose Built
2) 99% Of the break in is done from the factory
3) You're not going to hurt your car
4) Read: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31220
Bought my car with 72 miles of test drive abuse on it, babied it to 300 miles then my uncle stole my keys and beat the shit out of it, I didn't care after that. Got it tuned at 350 miles and drove the hell out of it from that point on. 25,000 miles today with k04+meth with plenty of canyon runs, track days, and frequent spirited street driving in the past and still running very strong...

rmchung

Ready to race!
So really it just means drive it normally and not like a grandma nor like you live your life a quarter mile at a time.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
I followed the instructions in the manual, I believe it's for the piston rings more than anything else. It has 13,000 km now and has had 0 oil consumption so far.

A_Bowers

The rings and the crosshatching on the cylinder walls would be my thoughts as well. I followed the same style of break in period on my RSX-S, and after 110000 miles of redline shifts I had zero oil consumption.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Most manufacturers will put this to save them from legal issues and warranty.

Again, people are fine driving their car off the lot like an idiot if they want.

Andrew, I thought we've had this conversation before???????

A_Bowers

Most manufacturers will put this to save them from legal issues and warranty.

Again, people are fine driving their car off the lot like an idiot if they want.

Andrew, I thought we've had this conversation before???????

Don't recall that one. But, wouldn't be the first time I've failed to remember something.

Just as a discussion point, what is Honda's policy for running in a motor at the factory?
I can't imagine taking a brand new vehicle and flogging it from day one being good for it. Gotta have some time for seals, bearings and the other components to wear in a bit.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
FYI people would bring cringe watching what happens to their car at the end of the line with NCAT testing and function checks.

When I worked for Mercedes, it was always a prize watching the workers gun the M63 AMGs

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Don't recall that one. But, wouldn't be the first time I've failed to remember something.

Just as a discussion point, what is Honda's policy for running in a motor at the factory?
I can't imagine taking a brand new vehicle and flogging it from day one being good for it. Gotta have some time for seals, bearings and the other components to wear in a bit.

Well that sort of sets us apart from other OEMs with how our pistons are made. Nevertheless we normally cannot take a test vehicle if it has not been passed through dynamic testing at the end of the line. If they have, fair game.

Again I'm personally responsible for some high speed testing on our track at speeds of around 80mph.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I've seen full redline testing right before we ship before.

We had a block machining issue one time that was caught due to this. Chipped the wall and blew the engine on the line. Found out that it was a run of 30 of them. Quality checks for the win.

Maybe it's just a Honda thing but we do not believe in putting quality control in the hands of the customer. It should be the best the moment they receive it

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
Finds like this is are why I take some time to read through the manual when I get a new car. It's not all useful info like this here, but a lot of interesting things - some features your car has that you may never know about otherwise.

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
thought the engine itself is pretty broken in before going in assembly. the reason for proper break in is for the whole car, engine and other parts to work in synch. at least that's my understanding with newer cars. someone correct me if i'm wrong.