GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SPM Lowering Springs Review 2.0

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
First off, I need to give credit where credit is due. I'm not sure if he is active anymore, but thank you to rockerdan for his DIY. I followed it step by step to get these springs installed. His DIY can be found here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37480 if you need it.

I am also going to let you guys know that I won these springs in an SPM contest but this is a truly unbiased review.

Alright to the goods. I am going to break this review down into 4 different parts. I'll talk about the Installation, First Impressions , After a 100km trip to work, and final thoughts. I will update this thread early next week once I get some solid KMs on the springs to let them settle.

Installation

As mentioned above, I followed rockerdan's DIY guide to do this job. Prior to this my only experience working on a car has been a cat-back install on my 2.5l, Cold air intake on my GTI and 2.5L, A sub/amp install, LED interior kit and a couple oil changes. So even though this job may be easy to most, to me it was a learning experience and thus took me A LOT longer than it should have. The total install took me from 12:30pm until 7:30pm.

I had to make a trip to a local automotive/hardware store looking for a couple items which they didn't end up having. I ended up having to drive to my cousin's house quickly, as he had the tools I needed. This probably wasted about 1-1.5 hours.

The tools I had to buy are listed below:
Strut spreader - http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm (scroll down)
Triple Square Bit Set - http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm (top item)
Offset box wrench - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...fset+Box-end+Wrench+Set,+Metric.jsp?locale=en (these DID NOT have a deep enough arch to them which is why I had to go to my cousins.
7mm allen Bit (all my allen sets skip 7mm)
Stretch Bolts x2
Rented a strut compressor tool

The rest are just your average garage tools, see the DYI for a complete list. By far the hardest part for me was getting the strut back into the spindle and the easiest was doing the rear springs. The only problem I ran into was at one point I had the strut seated in the spindle and bolted to the strut tower and the sway bar endlink didn't align with the strut. I ended up taking out the bolts on the strut tower and did some wiggling and got it to line up.

Overall, I would recommend this DIY to anyone on the fence about doing it. If you take your time and do everything right it's a pretty straight forward process. The one thing I do regret is not using a torque wrench to tighten everything down. I am looking into getting one next weekend and going back to torque everything down to the right specs.

First Impressions

When I finally lowered the car and took a step back to see the results I was very pleased. I'm not really keen on the slammed look but still wanted a bit of a drop. I was really happy with how much it dropped right off the bat (maybe about .5"). I knew that it would still drop a bit as the springs settled so the initial drop got me excited for what is to come.

I took a quick shower and hopped in the car to take it for a spin. I never used a torque wrench to tighten everything down so I was worried about potential popping and squeaking noises to be present when I drove it. As soon as I made my first left turn I heard a bit of a pop but since then not a single sound. I really don't know what the sound was but I purposely drove around for about 10 minutes doing slow right/left turns, fast left/right turns and drove over a couple speed bumps and I never hear another sound. The springs felt really nice. They are bit stiff and are a progressive spring so I am not sure how they will interact with my damper later down the road. I am sure it's going to wear them down quicker but when the time comes I will just upgrade the dampers as I didn't have the cash to buy new dampers now.

The ride felt very similar to OEM and I couldn't really tell a difference during that first 10 minute drive. It was a bit more stiff but nothing that would bother me while I drive and I put on about 50,000KM (31k Miles) per year so comfort is big for me. I parked the car and proudly walked into my house very pleased with how the day went.

After a 100km Trip to Work

I really got to test the ride today on my 100km round trip commute and I must say I am really impressed. The ride is definitely a bit stiffer as expected but still close enough to the OEM feel that I didn't really notice it unless I was concentrating on the feel going over a bump. Unless things take a turn for the worse once they are broken in, I don't see any reason why I would ever take them out.

Final Thoughts
As of tonight I definitely give the SPM lowering springs a 5/5. It did everything I wanted while being less harsh then I expected. I think once the springs finally settle I am going to be even more pleased with the outcome.

I will take some pictures in a week or so to show everyone the final outcome.

I hope my dampers hold up for a while but I do fully expect them to wear out faster and know eventually I will be upgrading my struts.

*update 15k km later*

I like them a lot. Gave me a nice drop and the added handling is always good. Dampers are holding up just fine. They are stiffer than stock which means a slightly rougher ride on bad roads. If you have decent roads it won't be an issue.

My struts are holding up just fine. I want to say I have about 15k km (9300 miles) on them now.

Last edited:
Do you mind posting a pic like this?

I am planning to get the SPM lowering springs but I am worried about reverse rake and rubbing issue (I have 15mm spacers at the back and 5 mm at the front with 45mm wheel offset.)

Thanks!

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Do you mind posting a pic like this?

I am planning to get the SPM lowering springs but I am worried about reverse rake and rubbing issue (I have 15mm spacers at the back and 5 mm at the front with 45mm wheel offset.)

Thanks!

I don't think you should have an issue but you could wait until my springs settle and see the updated pictures with final measurements and then decide.

I will post a pic of what you want later tonight.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Please post more pics of the car. If you could, take a side shot while crouching down on a knee. Looks good though.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Please post more pics of the car. If you could, take a side shot while crouching down on a knee. Looks good though.

Sure no problem, I am going to see if I can get my hands on a real camera and take some pictures tonight.

red11

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks awesome! I'm thinking about this as well, hopefully they have a sale coming up for Waterfest

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Here are some more pictures. Couldn't get my hands on a real camera so crappy iphone pictures will have to do for now.

Last edited:

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
Be sure to get it aligned after a few hundred more kms. Alltech automotive in Etobicoke has a $60 cash deal if you call them.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
Ride height looks perfect. I love it. Wonder how it feels on a bumpy road compared to oem.

It's actually not far off from OEM. Obviously it's a bit more stiff but its perfectly acceptable for a DD. It's my DD and I drive 100+km per day and I have zero issues. I am surprised how OEM it feels as I thought it was going to be really stiff.

Be sure to get it aligned after a few hundred more kms. Alltech automotive in Etobicoke has a $60 cash deal if you call them.

I was going to book one for next week. Thank you for the heads up! I was going to go to Georgetown VW to get it done but I am guessing they will charge about $150 for it.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
any update on how its been?did you end up changing the struts?

I like them a lot. Gave me a nice drop and the added handling is always good. Struts are holding up just fine. They are stiffer than stock which means a slightly rougher ride on bad roads. If you have decent roads it won't be an issue.

My struts are holding up just fine. I want to say I have about 15k km (9300 miles) on them now.

I'll update the first page with new pictures.

Last edited:

Baosa

Go Kart Champion
I like them a lot. Gave me a nice drop and the added handling is always good. Dampers are holding up just fine. They are stiffer than stock which means a slightly rougher ride on bad roads. If you have decent roads it won't be an issue.

I agree that it can get kind of rough bad roads but they ride well otherwise. Stock struts still holding up for now at 8k miles.

thez99

Go Kart Champion
I like them a lot. Gave me a nice drop and the added handling is always good. Struts are holding up just fine. They are stiffer than stock which means a slightly rougher ride on bad roads. If you have decent roads it won't be an issue.

What size wheels/tires do you run? I was actually a bit surprised by the lowering, the rears almost look lower than the fronts and these are supposed to drop 1.2" front and rear..not too mention they do look lower than 1.2", looks almost like you have some super sports on there or something