GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

doc's new build

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up a 2012 2-dr Candy White GTI just over a month ago, only 15K on the clocks. All stock, 6MT, sunroof. In other words, good bones for a modest project.

(in the last several years, I'd been into bikes, but have recently sold my recent Ducati, and needed something more fun to drive than the basic transport that I've had over the last many years).

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
First Mods: APR Stage 1+ Tune and Carbonio

On July 23rd, I went to Tyrolsport to have the APR stage 1+ ECU done. While there, they also threw on a Carbonio intake at the same time. Great guys at the shop! Very friendly, quick, easy to work with getting appointments (etc..), and most importantly, very knowledgable about our cars. They do a lot work on the various German marques, including a very special Porshce GT2 that I saw in the shop...

Long story short...Tyrolsport = solid local shop for us in the NYC area. Much thanks Mike and Greg.

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Waiting for Stoptech 355mm BBK

I have a Stoptech BBK on the way from Summit Racing. The kit was hard to find on their website, but a decent price for sure. Summits website won't show kit's for our Mark6's unless you search by parts numbers directly. Search for "SPH-83-893430071" for 328mm steel rotors ($1620).

Or go with what I did, and search for "SPH-83-893470073" for the 355x32mm zinc coated rotors ($2055 shipped). Both kits have the red ST40 calipers. If you want to order different colors, options, just find the kit part number that you want on Stoptech's website, and put it into the correct formatting for Summit (add the SPH, and take out some dashes...).

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Rims

I did a lot (and I mean a lot) of searching and correspondence with vendors/manufacturers to find out which rims (that I liked) would work with the Stoptech 355mm BBK that I have coming. What I wanted was a 18x8 rim that would work with out spacers. Also, a bonus was finding et45 mm offset so that the rims would come out slightly more flush to the edges of the wheel wells. So here's what I have found out will clear with out spacers (please note that I haven't personally mounted up these rims, and can not guarantee proper results).

18x8 et45 5x112. Will Clear Stoptech 355mm BBK:

#1 VWR "racing line". Available via APR/dealer network. (Made by Rimstock, in the UK)

#2 Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 (same rim as above actually, made by Rimstock in the UK)

#3 Neuspeed RSe14
#4 Neuspeed RSe12
#5 Neuspeed RSe07
#6 Enkei Raijin (I'm pretty sure about this one, but not as confident as the previous 5 options)

Personally, after ordering with APR for the VWR rims, they emailed me the next day about the rims being on backorder. So I canceled the order (which was easy and painless, thank you APR for being decent about it).

Next up, I tried to find a set of the Pro Race 1.2's, since they are essentially the exact rim as the VWR (just with the same stamping on the rim lip). Most places had a 2-3 month backorder.

Then onto the man with the plan here at golfmk6, allset. Thanks for the Neuspeed hookup with your shop. Very easy to deal with, competitive prices, and fast processing.

All said and done, I have a set of Neuspeed RSe12's in hyperblack on their way pronto. And most importantly, they will clear the Stoptech's with out spacers!

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock as purchased

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Neuspeeds on car

Neuspeed RSe12's 18x8 5x112 in Hyper Black (from group buy, thanks allset).
Now it's time to get those Stoptech's on the car. And think about a subtle lowering (DG's?). It's my daily driver, so i don't want to lose too much travel over NYC roads (read: miserable roads with gigantic, car swallowing pot holes during much of the year...).

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That's a pretty darn big kit right there... 355!

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
That's a pretty darn big kit right there... 355!

overkill for sure. but there's a lot of legitimate reasons for the 328's, and I figured if you're going to drop that kind of coin on those, you're not too far off price wise for the 355's. Which just look absolutely sick inside a 18" rim.

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking at 355s, but wouldn't that throw the brake balance way off?

This is still a fully recommended kit per Stoptech. And they pride themselves on providing a balanced solution.

And this makes sense, once one remembers that going from a 328 to a 355mm doesn't change out-right stopping power much (which is therefore still balanced), but does provide further efficiencies for cooling, which in turn allows for more consistency on track (or with very heavy/repeated braking).

An example would be the following (numbers taken from 350Z with stock vs 328mm Stoptech vs 355mm Stoptech).

stock braking distance from 100mph (best attempt):

Best 100-0:
--Stock: 329.97 feet
--328mm: 325.63 feet
--355mm: 323.51 feet

Temp 100mph
--Stock: 804 °F
--328mm: 695 °F
--355mm: 594 °F

The biggest difference here was in temperatures. Which if only doing one stop is not a big deal.

However, how often do we only stop once when driving aggressively or on track?

"After six stops from 80mph, and then four stops from 100 mph, the front rotors reached 804 °F and the stopping distances began to increase as fade set in"

"The brakes didn't seem to make a significant difference on stopping performance until the cars started doing repeated 100mph stops, at which point the increased thermal capacity of the bigger rotors kept brake fade at bay"

"We ran through the full set of 20 stops again and found the massive front rotors [355mm's] to be 268 degrees cooler than the stock rotors after the first ten stops from 60mph and the stopping distances were slightly better than the smaller StopTech kit"

Data and quotes taken from "http://zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm"

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked up a 24mm Rear Sway Bar from H&R, and DG springs. Now I have a serious amount of hardware waiting to go on the car...

doc1

Passed Driver's Ed
got the Stoptech kit installed. and the VW DG springs. and the rear sway.

Holy crap its a helluva car now. Talk about a well rounded drivers car! Goes better, handles better, and stops a lot better. Brake pedal feel is amazing.

Pix to follow

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
How's the noise level?