GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3rd gear issue (maybe?)

DD89

Ready to race!
So it just happened to me as I drove back to work from my lunch break, I assumed that I shifted into 3rd (high RPMs in 2nd) and apparently it didn't engage and I had to quickly depress the clutch again because I felt the engine pull back.

My question is, does anybody else every have a problem like this? I always felt like 3rd gear was a little harder to get into gear; I don't always feel that push and click like I do with every other gear, or maybe I'm not depressing the clutch all the way by accident?

I tested shifting into 3rd going around 30 in the parking lot and it seemed okay but sometimes it feels like the synchros aren't fully engaged, but maybe it's just me being too quick. I'll test more on my drive home, anybody else have this problem?

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
So it just happened to me as I drove back to work from my lunch break, I assumed that I shifted into 3rd (high RPMs in 2nd) and apparently it didn't engage and I had to quickly depress the clutch again because I felt the engine pull back.

My question is, does anybody else every have a problem like this? I always felt like 3rd gear was a little harder to get into gear; I don't always feel that push and click like I do with every other gear, or maybe I'm not depressing the clutch all the way by accident?

I tested shifting into 3rd going around 30 in the parking lot and it seemed okay but sometimes it feels like the synchros aren't fully engaged, but maybe it's just me being too quick. I'll test more on my drive home, anybody else have this problem?

I've felt the very same issue in my GTI, my friend who I used to work with when we were both VW techs told me that it's probably an issue with the transmission control module, to which I replied, "it's a manual, there isn't one, right?" He shot back with, "no, it's located between your ears, it's probably something you're doing subconsiously"

I've paid loads of attention to how I shift through every gear at different speeds (both road and engine, at different rates of acceleration) just for the sake of comparison, I've not noticed that its anything concrete. It does seem to be a little "notchier" in the mornings before everything's up to operating temps, but I tend to drive pretty easy for the first five miles until I get on it at all.

I've just ordered the Autotech mount insert from Futrell Autowerks over the weekend, I'll install it this week with any luck and I'll post back if it improves the shifting like they're supposed to.

I'm going in for my 90 day check next week, I've made up a short list of things I'd like looked at, the shifting being one of them, but hopefully the mount insert clears this up to where it's no longer an issue.

DD89

Ready to race!
I've felt the very same issue in my GTI, my friend who I used to work with when we were both VW techs told me that it's probably an issue with the transmission control module, to which I replied, "it's a manual, there isn't one, right?" He shot back with, "no, it's located between your ears, it's probably something you're doing subconsiously"

I've paid loads of attention to how I shift through every gear at different speeds (both road and engine, at different rates of acceleration) just for the sake of comparison, I've not noticed that its anything concrete. It does seem to be a little "notchier" in the mornings before everything's up to operating temps, but I tend to drive pretty easy for the first five miles until I get on it at all.

I've just ordered the Autotech mount insert from Futrell Autowerks over the weekend, I'll install it this week with any luck and I'll post back if it improves the shifting like they're supposed to.

I'm going in for my 90 day check next week, I've made up a short list of things I'd like looked at, the shifting being one of them, but hopefully the mount insert clears this up to where it's no longer an issue.

On my way home from work I will do some slow shifting and see if I still feel the mushy-ness rather than the standard click. My 90 day maintenance is in Augest so if it's not fixed by then I will be sure to let them know or even go in earlier. I've also noticed this from day 1 and I'll try to grip the shifter differently so I can give it more push because 3rd always feels awkward for me (big hands) so I hope this is something I'm doing and not the car.

circulator

Passed Driver's Ed

I did a mount replacement on my MS3 for this exact reason and it made a world of difference. I was considering one for the GTI as well, but an insert might be a better place to start. Definitely looking forward to your review.

chapusin1

Go Kart Champion

I've had problems before with 5th gear. I don't know if it was me but I'm sure I applied the same ammount pedal pressure as with the other gears, but still grinded and I had to pull back the pedal and push it in agian. It has happened 2 or 3 times now. On other occassions, it has happened on 1st where it doesn't go in (when the car is not moving) so I have to do the same thing, relase and press again. Keep in mind, this has happened only again like 2 or 3 times in the life of the vehicle, I love this transmission, this last issue happened a lot more often on my old civic.

DD89

Ready to race!
I've had problems before with 5th gear. I don't know if it was me but I'm sure I applied the same ammount pedal pressure as with the other gears, but still grinded and I had to pull back the pedal and push it in agian. It has happened 2 or 3 times now. On other occassions, it has happened on 1st where it doesn't go in (when the car is not moving) so I have to do the same thing, relase and press again. Keep in mind, this has happened only again like 2 or 3 times in the life of the vehicle, I love this transmission, this last issue happened a lot more often on my old civic.

My gears haven't grinded ever as I'm pretty sure I'd hear it. So it just went away or maybe you were doing something? The only gear I've noticed this in is 3rd gear a few times and I think 1st gear once when I just got the car. It might be me and I'll find out in the next few days when I really watch what I'm doing.

EDIT - So on my drive home all seemed to be well when I payed attention and clutch in, into 3rd and almost every time I felt the little click all the way one but still once it wasn't the full click.

Last edited:

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
It's quite obvious you're sitting like a gangsta with your seat all the way back, and you can't reach 3rd gear with your hand.

TDI110

O_o
I had a tiny gear grind one with my car, it's because I released the clutch a tad too soon. And the car does feel sloshy in the morning but once at op. temp. it's fine. There will always be a little notchiness going into third. Could it be the safety feature to prevent you going into 1st?

DD89

Ready to race!
I had a tiny gear grind one with my car, it's because I released the clutch a tad too soon. And the car does feel sloshy in the morning but once at op. temp. it's fine. There will always be a little notchiness going into third. Could it be the safety feature to prevent you going into 1st?

That's re-assuring, I thought maybe my car was messed up but apparently I wasn't giving enough force, at least I hope that's what it was and I hope not to notice problems down the road.

0.5_Lambo

Ready to race!
Even though i dont have a gti change the tranny oil to syncromesh and grab a short shifhter. It will clean things up a lot. Same goes for the autotech insert. The insert will help tons with shifting from 1-2. Gets rid of the sloppy lurching feeling.
I felt the same when i first got my car. I actually thought the tranny was garbage IMO till i did a few things to it. Feels excellent now. The VW tech at the dealership loses his mind every time he gets in my car....in excitement.

tfcGTI

Ready to race!

I've had some weird sensations when going from 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it feels like it's popping back out and I have use the clutch very quickly to neutral then back to 3rd.

DD89

Ready to race!
So I drove it a bit more, I moved up my sit one click and not only is my reach better but I felt the click every time I shifted into 3rd, so hopefully things are working themselves out. If the problem continues I will update!

Bender1

Banned
I sit like that because I'm mad tall!

Poor excuse - I am very tall as well and sit VERY close to the wheel.

Ever see how race car driver sits?

The video is a bit silly of course, but he is right. You should be sitting as upright and as far forward as possible, while still giving a 12-18 inches from the wheel.

You will drive more safely, your shifts will be smoother, and if you get on a track you will be FASTER!

Tailwagger

Ready to race!
Couple of things. Consider that the 3-4 slot is spring loaded. You dont need to push hard to get into third. To get a feel for it, from second on an upshift, try declutching, pushing second forward, letting your hand off the lever, then push forward again. By letting go, the springs will put the lever directly on the 3-4 slot. A simple push forward completes it. Likely from what your saying, occasionally your motion is too diagonal.

Second thing to consider is your hand position on the shifter. Most people shift with thumb up, palm facing their leg. On up shifts, try holding the shift with your thumb facing down, palm facing the passenger seat. Why? Because the natural tendency when your shift thumb up is to think you're moving away from your body, but in fact the tendency is to pull in toward it. If you hold the shift palm out, thumb down, you simply cant pull the gear lever towards you, it has to move outward. This is especially true on a fast 3-4 or 5-6 upshift were a mistake can cost you your motor. Hope some of this was helpful.