GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Cheap(er) Labor, Budget work in Pittsburgh Area

Hey fellas,

If anyone is looking to get anything changed in their car I am willing to provide some cheap alternative labor. I have done everything with mk6's there is to do, literally. Along with I've done tons of work on other vehicles as well, so I'm not limited to MK6's or even VW's. Any mods/maintenance/fabrication I can do. Valve cleaning, tensioner updates, k04/stage3+ swap, clutches, stereo systems, etc. Just post on here or shoot me a PM and I will give you an idea of how long things will take and a price. I'm in the pittsburgh area. Check out my signature and the vortex link for my cars build...I've done every single mod myself. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade and have been working on cars since I'm 10. Feel free to ask any questions through PM, or shoot me a text/call at 570-778-1464.

Search #SamoleskiPerformance on Instagram for some cool pics of things I'm working on!

PLEASE EMAIL SAMOLESKIPERFORMANCE@GMAIL.COM FOR ANY INQUIRIES.

Last edited by vwgti2.0t; 03-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Cheap Labor, Pittsburgh Area

My labor rate is around $80/hour, give or take. Some things are a little more or less depending on skill required. I work VERY quickly, usually much faster than most shops would. Also, some of the listed prices are based on a percentage (usually 50%) of prices I've found through local shops.



So these are ballpark estimates, but:



Clutch: $500



Clutch + LSD: $900 + shims/sealant/seals/fluid



Tensioner Replacement: $350 + OEM replacement parts



Carbon Cleaning: $300 + 4 injector kits + Cleaner



Intake Manifold Only Swap: $150 PENDING NO ISSUE. I've ran into a ton of issues with these lately. If you're using a NEW OEM manifold it would be no problem though.



K04 Install: $400



Stage 3/3+ Install: To Be determined if there is interest.



Coilover/Spring install: $250 (If doing coilovers, I would suggest also replacing the strut mounts)



DSG Flush: $140 + Materials (fluid/filter/o-ring/gasket)



Subwoofer Install (Amp Power/Ground/Signal, Tapping into speakers for line level inputs): $200 + Wiring Kit + Line Level Converter (if your amp doesn't have them) + Amp/Sub/Box. All ran neatly through OEM Wiring trays.



Door Speaker Install: $90 If going with components, it will be an extra $30 to mount them into the OEM tweeter locations.



Downpipe Install: $150

*If you are buying a raceland/godspeed/ebay downpipe, buy a REAL V-Band clamp, the ones they come with are junk and break almost immediately.

**If you are installing an ebay/godspeed/raceland downpipe on a CBFA car, it will be an extra $25 as you need to elongate the mounting holes to fit it on the turbo

***Putting a raceland/ebay/godspeed downpipe on a K04 car will require an extra O2 sensor bung added. The bung is less than $5 and will need to be welded on, I can do this.



Catback Install: $120



Diverter Valve/DV+ Install: $40



Short Shifter Install:

$30 for just the weight and cable adjustments

$60 for Diesel Geek OR Weight plus side to side shortening, plus readjusting cables.



Boost Gauge Install: $100 + Wire Taps



WALK Install: $120 for Whiteline Kit, $125 for Superpro



Tyrolsport Deadset Kit Front Install: $150 (I've never done the REAR kit, but would be willing to look into it if someone wants it done)



Rear Swaybar Install: $75

Front Swaybar Install: $150 (pending no major issues)



Intercooler Install: $200



Turbo Outlet Pipe Install: $50



Throttle Body Pipe Install: $50



BOTH ABOVE for $75



Intake Install: $50 (I'm assuming most people can do this themselves, but I'll just throw it out there anyway)



Subframe Mount Install: $50 for HPA or insert. I really want to stay away from the VWR or 034 ones at this point as it involves dropping the subframe, and I just don't have the extra hands or space (no lift) to do it.



Engine + Passenger Side Mount Install: $125



Brake Pads: $125*



Brake Pads + Rotors: $175*



Brake Lines + Pads: $160 + Fluid*



Fluid Flush: $70



Front OR Back Rotors+Pads: $100



*ALL BRAKE JOBS WILL REQUIRE YOU TO BED THE PADS/ROTORS YOURSELF. I'M NOT GOING TO GO BEAT ON SOMEONE ELSES CAR TO COMPLETE THIS!



That's all I can come up with at the moment. These prices should be (less than) half of what a dealer charges, and way under what a specialty shop would charge. I have personally done every one of these jobs multiple times. Like I said, check my build thread on vortex and rememeber that I have done EVERY install myself. If you have an issue with a price or a question about another job, feel free to PM/text me.

Last edited by vwgti2.0t; 03-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion
 
GoodTimesIndeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Edgewood, MD
Posts: 2,010
This is good to know. Would you do a water/meth setup as well?
__________________
APR K04 / DP w/m injection / Custom Intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / IC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
FlyByGti
Formula 1 Driver
 
FlyByGti's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 K04 GTI (sold)/ 09 Black 370z
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,012
subbed in case I need you in the future.

Big question is time frame for things (ex. K04, DP and Intercooler since that would be the most common thing I would think people would ask about)
__________________

K04 Club Member #36
| APR K04 | APR Intercooler | Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | Eurojet Turboback Exhaust | Red Footwells | Yellow Fogs | Spyder LED Tail Lights | New South Boost Gauge | Blue ECS Aspherical Side Mirrors Sold
¯\_(ツ)_/¯NFG( ° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FlyByGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
dimitry
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 120
Awesome. This is great to know.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to take apart some plastic panels and add a sound dampener or foam (mostly both of my doors). This might be a breeze for you given you know all the tabs and how/where to apply the pressure to pop them out.

Any interest in this?
__________________
2010 GTI (2d, white, manual, xenon, roof, dynaudio)
dimitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
This is good to know. Would you do a water/meth setup as well?

I mean, sure I can do anything. BUT, I've never tuned for a water/meth setup and I wouldn't even attempt to know what I'm doing when it came to programming it. I installed one in my mk4, but never actually set it up to use it. As for running the lines and mounting the tank and hooking up the pump and controller, yes I can do that. I'm assuming you would also need some sort of throttle body pipe like the bsh as well, unless you wanted it tapped right into the intercooler or other piping. I have no idea how long this would take either, but if you are sincerely interested shoot me a Pm and I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByGti View Post
subbed in case I need you in the future.

Big question is time frame for things (ex. K04, DP and Intercooler since that would be the most common thing I would think people would ask about)
Intercooler is around two hours. Maybe a little more. Downpipe, pending the studs stay in tact is also around two hours. K04 would be around 4 hours. These are just estimates and can differ depending on if I'm dealing with a bunch of rusted stuff or run into other problems.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitry View Post
Awesome. This is great to know.

In the meantime, I've been meaning to take apart some plastic panels and add a sound dampener or foam (mostly both of my doors). This might be a breeze for you given you know all the tabs and how/where to apply the pressure to pop them out.

Any interest in this?

Sure I could do this. It's only a few screws and pull to get the panel off. Hell, roll by my house on the weekend with some beers and I would give you a hand no problem.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
FlyByGti
Formula 1 Driver
 
FlyByGti's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 K04 GTI (sold)/ 09 Black 370z
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Intercooler is around two hours. Maybe a little more. Downpipe, pending the studs stay in tact is also around two hours. K04 would be around 4 hours. These are just estimates and can differ depending on if I'm dealing with a bunch of rusted stuff or run into other problems.
Thanks for the info. It would be cool to do this and see how everything bolts up. I wish I had been able to do it all myself, but lack of tools, location and experience really hindered that.
__________________

K04 Club Member #36
| APR K04 | APR Intercooler | Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | Eurojet Turboback Exhaust | Red Footwells | Yellow Fogs | Spyder LED Tail Lights | New South Boost Gauge | Blue ECS Aspherical Side Mirrors Sold
¯\_(ツ)_/¯NFG( ° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FlyByGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
dimitry
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Sure I could do this. It's only a few screws and pull to get the panel off. Hell, roll by my house on the weekend with some beers and I would give you a hand no problem.
Man, you're the best. I'd definitely bring cash on top of the beers That said, this weekend I have to get my moto ready for the season. Riding weather around the corner!
__________________
2010 GTI (2d, white, manual, xenon, roof, dynaudio)

Last edited by dimitry; 03-26-2014 at 05:54 PM.
dimitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByGti View Post
Thanks for the info. It would be cool to do this and see how everything bolts up. I wish I had been able to do it all myself, but lack of tools, location and experience really hindered that.
I hear you. I really don't have a ton of space...aka a garage packed with bikes and a driveway. But I have the tools and a ton of experience. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and usually doing something car/bike related on the weekend. Plus I rebuilt my first motor at 14-15 (put a 2.3 turbo from a turbocoupe in a (carbureted) fox body along with the ecu and wiring harness ). I just love the stuff. I'd like to open my own shop in the next few years, as I really hate the engineering side of things and just enjoy working on cars. I'm getting older, so I figure now is a good a time as any to get my name out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitry View Post
Man, you're the best. I'd definitely bring cash on top of the beers That said, this weekend I have to get my moto ready for the season. Riding weather around the corner!
No problem man! I'm usually either out of town or sitting around drinking beers on the weekends. So I figure this would be something to keep my mind going! Just let me know when you're free and we can correlate something.

Btw what do you ride? That's the other thing I do in my spare time!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #10
dimitry
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 120
Picked up an '09 cbr600rr last August. Love it. Never thought I'd be into the supersports, but I'm all about it. Worked a lot on my cornering in the fall. Did a nice 260mi ride through Ohio twisties (there's a nice Pgh bike group that does smaller weekly rides and some long rides throughout the season).

Before that I had an '03 Monster 620. Cool bike with so much character, but I got tired of how few aftermarket options there were and how much everything cost for it. Plus I was getting near valve adjustment mileage and reallllly wanted to avoid Ducati shop up in Wexford. Bad experiences all around. Honda is much much better in those regards (obviously), but then again, it's a completely different bike.

Next up is a supermoto Might swing it this year if I decide to keep the GTI (smart thing to do... its paid off and only 40k mi). But I'm also itching for a new car b/c of all the fucking rattles. Christ.

I've got a box full of new parts for the season... new oil, filter, chain, sprockets, levers, halo turn signals, some other extras. That's the plan for Sunday or I'm taking Monday off b/c of the weather!
__________________
2010 GTI (2d, white, manual, xenon, roof, dynaudio)
dimitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitry View Post
Picked up an '09 cbr600rr last August. Love it. Never thought I'd be into the supersports, but I'm all about it. Worked a lot on my cornering in the fall. Did a nice 260mi ride through Ohio twisties (there's a nice Pgh bike group that does smaller weekly rides and some long rides throughout the season).

Before that I had an '03 Monster 620. Cool bike with so much character, but I got tired of how few aftermarket options there were and how much everything cost for it. Plus I was getting near valve adjustment mileage and reallllly wanted to avoid Ducati shop up in Wexford. Bad experiences all around. Honda is much much better in those regards (obviously), but then again, it's a completely different bike.

Next up is a supermoto Might swing it this year if I decide to keep the GTI (smart thing to do... its paid off and only 40k mi). But I'm also itching for a new car b/c of all the fucking rattles. Christ.

I've got a box full of new parts for the season... new oil, filter, chain, sprockets, levers, halo turn signals, some other extras. That's the plan for Sunday or I'm taking Monday off b/c of the weather!
Awesome man! I have an 03 Kawaskai Z1000 I ride all summer. Speaking of valve adjustments, I just did mine. LOL. I LOVE the supermoto's as well! Either way, we can continue this in PM's.. I want this thread to be some what informative.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
FlyByGti
Formula 1 Driver
 
FlyByGti's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 K04 GTI (sold)/ 09 Black 370z
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
I hear you. I really don't have a ton of space...aka a garage packed with bikes and a driveway. But I have the tools and a ton of experience. I'm a mechanical engineer by day and usually doing something car/bike related on the weekend. Plus I rebuilt my first motor at 14-15 (put a 2.3 turbo from a turbocoupe in a (carbureted) fox body along with the ecu and wiring harness ). I just love the stuff. I'd like to open my own shop in the next few years, as I really hate the engineering side of things and just enjoy working on cars. I'm getting older, so I figure now is a good a time as any to get my name out there.



No problem man! I'm usually either out of town or sitting around drinking beers on the weekends. So I figure this would be something to keep my mind going! Just let me know when you're free and we can correlate something.

Btw what do you ride? That's the other thing I do in my spare time!
Nice man sounds like you got a pretty solid plan laid out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitry View Post
Picked up an '09 cbr600rr last August. Love it. Never thought I'd be into the supersports, but I'm all about it. Worked a lot on my cornering in the fall. Did a nice 260mi ride through Ohio twisties (there's a nice Pgh bike group that does smaller weekly rides and some long rides throughout the season).

Before that I had an '03 Monster 620. Cool bike with so much character, but I got tired of how few aftermarket options there were and how much everything cost for it. Plus I was getting near valve adjustment mileage and reallllly wanted to avoid Ducati shop up in Wexford. Bad experiences all around. Honda is much much better in those regards (obviously), but then again, it's a completely different bike.

Next up is a supermoto Might swing it this year if I decide to keep the GTI (smart thing to do... its paid off and only 40k mi). But I'm also itching for a new car b/c of all the fucking rattles. Christ.

I've got a box full of new parts for the season... new oil, filter, chain, sprockets, levers, halo turn signals, some other extras. That's the plan for Sunday or I'm taking Monday off b/c of the weather!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Awesome man! I have an 03 Kawaskai Z1000 I ride all summer. Speaking of valve adjustments, I just did mine. LOL. I LOVE the supermoto's as well! Either way, we can continue this in PM's.. I want this thread to be some what informative.
Glad that you guys ride. Would be cool to get a group ride this summer for sure. Maybe we should post about it in the Pittsburgh thread (I actually think we did this before), closer to when the weather finally breaks
__________________

K04 Club Member #36
| APR K04 | APR Intercooler | Carbonio Stage 1 & 2 Intake | Eurojet Turboback Exhaust | Red Footwells | Yellow Fogs | Spyder LED Tail Lights | New South Boost Gauge | Blue ECS Aspherical Side Mirrors Sold
¯\_(ツ)_/¯NFG( ° ͜ʖ ͡°)
FlyByGti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Up!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,930
Free this weekend for anyone that needs something!
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.