GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
dubessa
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Snowmobile 3000
This is not your typical build thread

Warning: my knowledge in car parts is still lacking, my car terminology is weak, and my images are heavily instagram filtered from an iPhone 4.

This is more of a story than a build thread

Chapter One

August 2012 - After an unfortunate turn of events in my household I was able to purchase my first car ever, a candy white 2012 GTI with as many upgrades as I could ask for...
  • manual 6 speed
  • leather
  • serron alloys
  • dynaudio
  • navigation
  • sunroof
  • bi-xenon LED headlights

I named her Heidi because she was my little german model and we have been in love for about 2 years now.

Chapter Two

She was beautiful, but I quickly ruined her by adding a few stickers, a german rear emblem vinyl insert, white led sidemarkers, and yellow lamin-x fog light covers. BECAUSERACEKAR!(But don't worry - all of this stuff was removed later on) My only cool mod at this time was my Golf R LED tail lights which I received as a gift from a special person.

Then one morning, while I was hungover and half asleep, my mom asked me to move my car since I was parked behind her on our single-lane driveway. Being the idiot that I am, I backed my car into the neighbour's car that was parked on the street. Their car was a shitbox anyways so it wasn't a big deal they said. But my car on the other hand..

I cried a little bit but then became excited because this meant paint work. When I got my rear bumper fixed I got my front lower valence colour matched as well as my side markers.

Chapter Three

It only took a few months for me to crave a little more torque and horsepower. So I bought my friend's APR Carbonio Intake and had an APR Stage 1 tune done at my dealership (Georgetown VW). The difference was definitely noticeable in the driver's seat. Nothing too drastic, but a lot more fun. Gave me the extra oomph to swerve on dem civics The intake also was noticeable - with a stock exhaust it's easy to hear the little whooooosh of the air going in. Made me feel badass and shit.

Chapter Four

Shortly after getting my tune, I wanted moar low. Went to a local chop shop and ordered myself a brand new set of koni coilovers. I don't have numbers to explain my ride height or the number of inches I dropped, but this is what it looked like lolz.

I was happy with them. Most of my wheel gap was killed. I had about a 1, 1 & a half finger gap around the wheels. The handling was great. I felt like a sporty sportster. I had a Evolution Osiris skidplate installed at the same time as well just in case.

I then got myself an OEM Votex front lip to make the front look a little more low. Sometimes the subtle changes make a big difference.

Chapter Five

One day when I was going through a phase of the blues, I randomly started browsing local classifieds for wheels. That's when I came across these babies on vwortex

Rotiform BLQs powdercoated Tiffany Blue 5x112 18x8.5 with falken fk453 tires 215/35/18 et 45.

I immediately texted the seller, got ready, and drove an hour and a half away to snag the wheels with cash. This was a serious case of YOLO-ing and I do not necessarily recommend doing this. Although I had the funds for the wheels, that money could've gone into investments or something else important in life lol.

After a moment of financial regret, I quickly fell in love with my car all over again. I also had the front grill stripes covered with a matching blue vinyl. Came together quite nicely if I do say so myself.

Chapter Six

This winter of 2013-2014 was a long and depressing one. I didn't take any tropical vacations or treat myself in any sort of way (First world problems). Therefore, I had money saved up in my "fun" bank account. In early 2014, my friend with a mk6 gti decided he was going to buy a new badass car and he was parting out what he had. This included his almost new, barely used Air lift Performance series kit with Autopilot v2 management. What cures depression? CAR PARTS FUCK YEAH!

Before installing, I changed the heavy, black, basic bitch 2 gallon tank that my friend gave me to a slender, longer, aluminum 5 gallon tank. I also got a second compressor and changed the size of the lines.

I dropped off my car at Air Assisted in Markham, Ontario on the first Monday of April. She was technically completed by Wednesday but the trunk setup I wanted took a little longer. When I picked her up later that week, I fell in love all over again.

1 month review:
So far I have been pleased with the results. Toronto roads can be really crappy sometimes, so it's very nice to have the ability to air up and avoid scraping my lip or skidplate. My tiffany blues are tucking. The front fender basically sits on the floor thanks to the frame notch. The compressor doesn't run for too long upon startup (~30secs). The v2 management is easy to use as well. Overall no problems or anything funky.

The only con I can come up with right now is that when aired up, the road noise is increased and the stiffness in the bags means a bumpier ride. I currently have the dampening set to medium but may adjust that later on to something softer.

More recent pics of Heidi

Oh and did I mention that I also colour-matched my tank?

TO BE CONTINUED....

Although I'm happy with the current state of my car and feel she is ready to show off, my next planned mod would be a turboback exhaust. Or even just a downpipe for now and work my way up. And ofcourse, a stage 2 tune. THENNNNNN maybe I'll be done.

IG @mk6nessa
My Build Thread

Last edited by dubessa; 04-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.
dubessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Gauge85
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 MKVI GTI/MKIV VR6 GTI
Looks great
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Dubpower786
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 16 BSM M2
car looks amazing.. nice work
Old 04-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
SayaGTI
www.meatspin.com

Drives: Your mom
Such bags. Wow.

SayaGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
DowneyTDI
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 CW TDI 5Dr
Them wheels & that grille strip color match! Great job!!
DowneyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Djunited
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: K04 GTI
Hi nessa.
CTS KO4 | ITG Intake | ATP 3" DP | Uni IC | CTS TBP | NP K04 TOP | Eurocode LWP | Forge DV |SP w/m kit | RL 3" eCutout | BSH Mounts | W.A.L.K. | Bilstein B8 | Eibach Sportlines | Eibach F/R SB | NSP Boost Gauge | TD Pro Race 1.2 | Wilwood BBK | BfG 245

BUILD THREAD bczracekar VIDS
Djunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Dammit, I can't see your pics at work, but I like the narration
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #9
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
ha, I follow you on instagram... scrolling through here I'm like wait this car seems awfully familiar then realized it was the same person. CSB I know. Anyways, I dig your car. Cheers
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayaGTI View Post
Such bags. Wow.
Yeah, and the car ain't bad either. Although, I'm not a fan of the slammed look or the colored wheels.

My condolences on the loss of your parent, OP.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
dubessa
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Snowmobile 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
Yeah, and the car ain't bad either. Although, I'm not a fan of the slammed look or the colored wheels.

My condolences on the loss of your parent, OP.
Thank you. & To each their own! I think I'm able to pull it off without being judged too much since I'm a girl. As for being slammed, I'm only sometimes slammed haha

IG @mk6nessa
My Build Thread
dubessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #12
rawbdog
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Bird shit stained cute snatchback
MoAr pics of owner please
rawbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Heartagram131
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Golf Sportline UG
Cool thread! Car looks great since I saw it last year at a KK (looked great then too).

About your performance fronts... How much thread is showing below the bag? I'm thinking about setting mine to 2.25 inches when it arrives. Also when aired out does the front go all the way to 0 psi?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #14
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW GTI DSG
Damn your cAr looks clean! Sometimes i feel like the stock gti bumper with lip looks better than the ed35