GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Request for Data Logs on APR K04 V3.0 Tune!

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
There's a great deal of varying opinion in the APR K04 Review thread, and it's getting very difficult to find any actual data in there. I had posted my data logs showing that - at least in my car - the actual boost on the V3 tune very closely matched the actual boost achieved on my V2 tune. I believe the most significant differences are in the specified boost and timing data; however, as of the creation of this thread, I'm the only one who's posted actual data in the review thread, so there's no representative sampling of logs!

I thought this deserved it's own thread w/o opinions ... just raw data so people can draw some conclusions. No butt-dynos, and no videos of your pull.

For those of you who have the V3 tune - please capture some logs, and post your data here! I'm happy to help generate graphs if you're not comfortable in Excel ... but I would like for this thread to be very much about the data ...

For consistency, you should capture at least the following channels:
001-1 (Engine Speed / RPM)
003-2 (MAF)
003-4 (Ignition Angle / Timing Advance)
020-1 (Timing Pull / CF Cyl 1)
020-2 (Timing Pull / CF Cyl 2)
020-3 (Timing Pull / CF Cyl 3)
020-4 (Timing Pull / CF Cyl 4)
054-4 (Throttle Plate Angle %)
114-4 (N75 Duty Cycle % Actual)
115-3 (Boost Specified)
115-4 (Boost Actual)

During your logging, you should be in either 3rd or 4th gear, and from a rolling start at 2000 RPMs, floor the accelerator, and maintain WOT straight through fuel cut-off, which should occur at about 7100 RPMs.

NOTE: You'll be going >90 MPH at the end of this ... so safety first, gentlemen (and ladies); and don't do anything illegal (that you wouldn't normally do ... at least, don't blame me if you get caught ;)).

PM me if you want to just e-mail me your raw data and I'm happy to generate the graphs. I'll also compile everyone's raw data into a shared folder once it starts coming in...

UPDATE: You can find the raw data for the charts I generated for other users here - sorted by username, and labelled with TCS On or TCS Off -- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kydnvy5v3ejbrnr/aYG20_1lGC

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Actual vs Specified boost on a 3rd Gear WOT pull from about 1500 RPMs straight through fuel cut-off. K04 v3 Tune in the 93 Octane map. Note, I adjusted off 1000 mbar from the raw data for atmospheric pressure, and converted to PSI...

With TCS Enabled

With TCS Disabled

I also pulled my raw data from my data logs 9 months ago, and overlaid the boost on the same graph as my V3 logs from tonight.

Dotted Lines are V2; Solid Lines are V3
Red Lines are Actual Boost; Blue Lines are Requested

I normalized the v2 data a little bit, since it was done on different days at different altitudes (today was about 400ft above sea level, my v2 log was about 1400 ft above sea level....). So on the V2, the curve is accurate, but peak is probably off. I normalized against peak actual boost (by adjusting off 1000 mbar on my V3 data, and 970 mbar on my v2 data).

V3 with TCS Enabled vs V2

This plot has my V3 with TCS enabled against my V2 data. V2 was most likely captured with TCS disabled, so I will need to recreate this graph later without TCS in V3 as well.

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
Posting for Grizza, who sent me log data this morning ... first three charts are with TCS Disabled; fourth chart is with TCS Enabled.

Boost - actual vs specified with MAF

Boost - actual vs specified with Timing Angle

Timing Angle vs MAF

Boost - actual vs specified with MAF - TCS Enabled

Grizza's raw log data can be found here

Last edited:

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
so his MAF g/s flow is almost 1000? something isnt right. the average is 180-250 or so.

Haha, no - MAF is on the secondary axis...

Just reposted the image to hopefully make it clearer... solid lines on the primary, dotted lines on the secondary.

Also just added a third plot, so you can now see:
Boost w/ MAF
Boost w/ Timing Angle
Timing Angle w/ MAF

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
oh nm, just noticed you fixed it lol

Haha ... yeah, just assumed g/s since that's what my VCDS logs in, but the APR mobile app got my kg/hr, so the numbers were huge!

I will post his "TCS Enabled" numbers in a little bit - have to go pretend like I have a job for a couple hours; but his TCS disabled boost looks almost exactly like mine. I love consistent data. Interesting that actual boost flattens out in the 3K range; that may be the underwhelming thing people are feeling... but my TCS Enabled numbers don't show that... will be interesting to see if Grizza's match.

edit: what wizardry is this? Did I just respond to a post that no longer exists?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
ok, deleted my other posts now that I realized I was reading the wrong size of the scale.. I was like holy jesus that's pulling a ton of timing.. but I was going off the left side chart for the boost.. lol

Anyways, the timing looks good.. doesn't dip below zero, and it looks like jamie dialed in a bit of timing on the top end to keep the power up when the boost tapers off. I'd seen a lot of other k04 timing charts, and the timing was always fairly low overall

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
^Yeah, timing on this file does look a bit low compared to k03. If my memory serves me correctly (it usually doesn't), I saw ~25 degrees with my APR stage 1 tune. Sound about right? What would cause the timing to advance slightly from this value, more air/boost?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to relog mine to get better timing data ... but eyeballing my numbers, the V3 K04 seems more aggressive on timing than my V2 K04 logs... my V2 log only went to 8* BTDC, where my V3 is hitting 15* - and you can see Grizza's hits 18*.

Would need to dig through the data logging compendium thread to see if the other tunes are as aggressive or more so on the timing.

Grizza

Ready to race!
thanks Tim!! I am shocked that nobody else, tmk, has expressed interest in posting up logs, epsecially the ones that are claiming 28psi peak and holding at 24psi.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
thanks Tim!! I am shocked that nobody else, tmk, has expressed interest in posting up logs, epsecially the ones that are claiming 28psi peak and holding at 24psi.

A couple other people have said they're going to do some logging ... unfortunately not all of us have a 5:30 AM commute, so we have to carve other time out of the day to go do it ;)

I'm going to get new logs myself first thing tomorrow - I keep screwing up my log settings and am not capturing the timing angle!

But I'm looking forward to seeing more data from more people

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
I did APR's rounds 1, 2 and 3 this morning, both with TCS on and TCS off... here's some charts. Since I used APR's rounds, and not the channels I posted in OP, the graphs are a little different than I generated for Grizza, but it shows the same data over all..

Raw data for these charts can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/74vaoxp62jk49mo/t0irTByefs

As before: solid lines on the primary axis, dotted lines on the secondary; everything else should be pretty clear:

Actual vs Specified Boost with N75 and Throttle Valve Angle

Actual vs Specified Boost with MAF

Actual Boost with Ignition Timing Angle

Last edited:

Grizza

Ready to race!
Tim would you be able to overlay the boost actual and requested for TCS on and off on the same graph?