GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unibrace XB DIY - No Trim or Seat Removal Necessary

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I just finished installing my Unibrace XB and thought I'd put together a quick tutorial. With some guidance from Bruce I did it without removing any trim or the seats which saved lots of time. I also installed the XB without removing the child seat tethers (LATCH) (sometimes called grocery bag hooks) which is a big plus if you need a child seat in the back.

After the install I took the car for a quick spin and all I can say is WOW! The rear end is so planted. Its amazing. It feels like a completely different car.

I highly recomment this mod to anyone interested in performance driving. Its important to know that this install does take patience and care since its hard to rectify a problem once you've started drilling into your car. Here the adage measure twice, cut once is particularly apt.

Before we get started please know that you do this mod completely at your own risk to both yourself and your car. I am in no way an expert in this area and am only sharing my own experience for other's information. If you feel uncomfortable doing this type of work get a professional to install the unibrace XB, as this does require some care and experience.

Here's my new Unibrace XB just after it was delivered. As many others have already said, the fit and finish is amazing. A really well constructed, high quality piece.

First step, clean out the back.

Place some tape over the area where the unibrace XB will be mounted.

Check fitment with the seats up. Ensure that the seats lock in place properly with your unibrace placement.

In my case I was also careful to ensure the unibrace cleared the child seat tethers.

Once you've determined the right placement use some bungies to keep the unibrace in place.

Fold the seats back down and mark the mounting points for the unibrace XB with a sharpie. Top

And bottom.

Put the unibrace to the side and use a craft knife to cut flaps at the mounting points.

If you just cut 3 sides the trim can be put back in place afterwards with some glue for a clean appearance.

Put the unibrace back in place, secure with bungees and check the fitment again.

Mark the center of the first mount point with a punch. Only do one mount point for now. We will do a single nutsert at a time and then fasten that mount before punching any more mount points. This increases the chance of getting a good fitment and as Bruce puts it, prevents the accumulation of errors.

Drill a pilot hole, and then progressively work your way up to a 1/2" hole for the nutsert. I actually found it easier to do this in 5 steps, by gradually increasing the drill bit size each time. This was faster and led to a cleaner, more symmetrical hole. FYI for the top mount points I used only regular drill bits. For the bottom mount points the nutsert wouldn't go in as the hole was too small. I used a tappered drill bit to slightly enlarge the hole until the nutsert fit. Using new, sharp, carbon titanium drill bits will make drilling through the car much faster and easier.

The nutsert tool confused me at first. You need to thread the long bolt through the main piece of the tool. I find it useful to then thread the nutsert onto the end of the bolt and use the tool to push the nutsert into the hole snugly.

Use an open ended spanner or similar to hold the wider part of the nutsert tool, and prevent it from spinning around. I used a 22mm spanner I had left over from a previous coilover job.

Then use a 11/16" socket wrench to turn the smaller part of the nutsert tool clockwise. This will cause part of the nutsert to be squashed and expand inside the hole like a rivet, locking it in place.

Now fasten the unibrace at that mounting point with the provided bolt.

With the first mounting point fastened, use the punch to mark the drilling point at the second mounting point. Then remove the bolt from the first fastening point and put the unibrace to the side. Drill a hole at the new fastening point to 1/2". Install the nutsert. Fasten the first two points and move onto the third point and so on. Remember to fasten the unibrace at all existing points before using the punch to mark the next point. This takes a few minutes extra but significantly improves your chances of getting a good fitment.

Finally fold the carpet flaps back in place, use glue if you like, and bolt the unibrace in place on top of the carpet.

Go for a ride and have your mind blown!

A big thanks to Bruce for taking the time to describe this approach to me. Not removing the trim and seats saves so much time, and makes it easier to get a great fitment as well. I hope you found this useful, and please share your own experiences with the install.

Last edited:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I dig this. Nice work. You can tell you took your time.

Only annoyance would be is when folding the seats down to carry more things. I guess you would have to keep an allen in the car to do it. Maybe I would keep a small electric screwdriver in the car if I had this installed.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
You can fold the seats down its just that long items won't fit without removing the brace. Honestly I haven't had to carry really long things like that in years so its not that big a deal.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I do it quite often, so for me, it might be a big issue.

Curious, how did the impact of this mod compare with the H&R rear sway? Did you do that separately or with other mods?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Very well written DIY! Clean job. I also did my install this way since I really saw no point in wasting hours removing trim and wrestling with my seats.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
I do it quite often, so for me, it might be a big issue.

Curious, how did the impact of this mod compare with the H&R rear sway? Did you do that separately or with other mods?
I did it separately. The impact is really noticeable. It almost feels like the same impact as the rear sway. The back end has become super planted, which is kind of pushing the balance of the car more towards oversteer, similar to when I set the rear sway on hard. I think the GTI must have a lot of chassis flex given how big the impact of the XB is.

I definitely notice traction control working more on tight corners. I should turn ESP off and see what happens, I wouldn't be surprised if it drifts a little given the shift in balance that has occurred. Definitely makes me respect the car's limits more.

Another big effect is that sitting in the car feels different. Its hard to describe but it feels like the floor is really solid. I think this may be the XB enhancing the effect of the UB which I already had installed.

Overall a really good mod. I'm thinking I may set the front sway on stiff to shift the balance more towards neutral now that the XB is in.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
nice DIY, definitely subbed! im waiting for the tyrolsport one for pricing and how it mounts(supposedly no drilling), or might go with XB and your DIY! thanks for sharing!

speedster

Go Kart Champion
The XB definitely stiffens it. My springs are not crazy, 280 lbs / in front and back. Turns out my front and back sways are already on hard. I had to raise up the front coilovers recently due to scrapping on the driveway, so the car is a bit weird right now as the front is much looser than the back. The XB has accentuated this so I really need to raise the rear as well to bring it back into balance.

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice job. I wouldn't glue the carpet just so I could remove it if I had to. I carry an allen wrench but I haven't had to remove it yet, even moving a christmas tree. XB is one of the best mods IMO, really tightens up the rear as he said.
First I'm hearing of a tyrolsport offering, piqued my interest.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Nice job. I wouldn't glue the carpet just so I could remove it if I had to. I carry an allen wrench but I haven't had to remove it yet, even moving a christmas tree. XB is one of the best mods IMO, really tightens up the rear as he said.
First I'm hearing of a tyrolsport offering, piqued my interest.

yea, these are pics straight from their facebook page