GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I have a hard time finding safe parking spots for my GTI.(new car fever)

BentValve

Ready to race!
Ive had my black GTI since Monday and have a bad case of new car fever , ive had it before. I very carefully chose parking spots for my GTI, I like a solid 4 feet or so on both sides , but while the fever is fresh I will be walking a block or 2 whenever I take my GTI shopping , doctor visit etc etc.

Somehow I think its worse than its ever been as this is my first black colored car.

Johnny

I'm Here for the Gangbang
If you daily drive the car, unless you get lucky it will get mildly fucked up. Somehow that shopping cart, car door, or tree sap will find you; it's inevitable.
I used to care about every little ding, but after you start getting little things here and there for stuff you can't control you start to worry less.
I also learned you can get rear ended by some jackass at any moment and all the effort you put in is gone by some dickhead totaling your car.

TDI110

O_o
you're not the only one. 40,000 km and I still got it. I tend to seek out nicer cars to park beside with the logic that they also don't want to scratch, ding, or scrape anything.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
Not much you can do short of keeping it locked up in a garage at all times. Even parking far away on the remote edges of the lot, it's likely someone will feel the need to park next to you. I say just drive it, do the best you can to park out of harms way, and enjoy the car. You will eventually get a ding or two, but you can't see those from inside the car while you're enjoying the speed and handling aspects your car has to offer. :)

BentValve

Ready to race!
you're not the only one. 40,000 km and I still got it. I tend to seek out nicer cars to park beside with the logic that they also don't want to scratch, ding, or scrape anything.

Ditto on parking by nice cars. Now that I think about it, I was this way with my last car, a Honda Element, had that car about 2 years and always parked it in spots I thought were safer. And in two years time I only got one tiny ding from a door.

One problem with the GTI is the side is totally blank, no trim, nothing, so dings are gonna stand out easier.

I know its unavoidable, I just hope its at least 6 months or so before I get a ding.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I drop my wife off at the door, then i search out a safe spot, generally at a fair distance away from the popular spots on a parking lot, i also don't want to be at the bottom of a slope, shopping carts can go a long way on a windy day. a little more exercise walking to and from the car is good and not a concern even in the rain, i'll jog both ways, but a door dent or carriage ding really pisses me off. naturally i get the car and pick my wife up again at the door, no problem. that is one of the many things i miss about my old Nissan pickup, parking wasn't a concern.

MKong6GTi

If you daily drive the car, unless you get lucky it will get mildly fucked up. Somehow that shopping cart, car door, or tree sap will find you; it's inevitable.
I used to care about every little ding, but after you start getting little things here and there for stuff you can't control you start to worry less.
I also learned you can get rear ended by some jackass at any moment and all the effort you put in is gone by some dickhead totaling your car.

agreed, if its daily driven, something will eventually happen, just a matter of time.
but taking preventive measures definately helps!

07CARRERA

Ready to race!
I take my wife to work everyday and i work from home so I'm good. Or if I'm at Starbucks working (online) I always park in the extra large spaces. Dents will come but I had 65,000 miles on my 08 GTI and didn't have one ding when i sold it. So it's possible! LOL!!!

gti1480

Ready to race!
it has nothing to do with the color of your car.
i am very picky finding a parking spot for my cars too, even for my mk4 jetta. lol

BentValve

Ready to race!
At one grocery store near me I have told people to put there carts in the cart bin a number of times, at this store carts are strewn everywhere.....between cars, popped up on curbs, its pathetic......there is no question that many cars have gotten dings from carts at this store. When I go there I usually push 1 or 2 inside the store when I go in.

Randum

Go Kart Champion
I have a whole method to parking. I did/still do this with my Grand Am, and it is silver, and I had no dings from parking (before I took ownership it had a few, and I know exactly where they are), but DO NOT Parallel park! My only marks were from this, small, small marks, but on silver you can't see it...
On the GTI my anal parking has gotten 100 times worse.. I also do an end spot at the office, curb/island on the passenger side/car passenger side to your left - most people are driving themselves, no passenger door to hit your driver's side!

Or if I must park next to a car...sometimes unavoidable, stay away from the following:
MiniVans
Beat up cars
Coupe's (unless its a sports car, porsche, Ferarri etc)
A car with already dings in it
ANY SUV that looks like it has kids!

I follow this rule and it seems to work! "Nice" cars aren't always nice.. you see a nice 7 series...remember it has HUGE doors, and a good, good chance the passenger could be a kid...so park on the drivers side of these!

Also, since the GTI is more of an enthusiast car, if you see another GTI, park next to it! (or GLI or anyone sporting a VW with some flare).

My wife calls me crazy, but it works!

jnaylor01

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a whole method to parking. I did/still do this with my Grand Am, and it is silver, and I had no dings from parking (before I took ownership it had a few, and I know exactly where they are), but DO NOT Parallel park! My only marks were from this, small, small marks, but on silver you can't see it...
On the GTI my anal parking has gotten 100 times worse.. I also do an end spot at the office, curb/island on the passenger side/car passenger side to your left - most people are driving themselves, no passenger door to hit your driver's side!

Or if I must park next to a car...sometimes unavoidable, stay away from the following:
MiniVans
Beat up cars
Coupe's (unless its a sports car, porsche, Ferarri etc)
A car with already dings in it
ANY SUV that looks like it has kids!

I follow this rule and it seems to work! "Nice" cars aren't always nice.. you see a nice 7 series...remember it has HUGE doors, and a good, good chance the passenger could be a kid...so park on the drivers side of these!

Also, since the GTI is more of an enthusiast car, if you see another GTI, park next to it! (or GLI or anyone sporting a VW with some flare).

My wife calls me crazy, but it works!

These rules are generally what I follow. I know they will happen, I just hope to avoid any major ones until I can park this for a DD. That way if dent removal and paint are needed I can keep it in a garage.

marcopolo

Passed Driver's Ed
There are 3 rules which I usually follow when it comes to parking in a parking lot.

1) Park beside more expensive cars if the lot is semi full.
2) park on a hill when possible.
3) Park as far away as possible.

Ive had the car for 5 months now and parked in alot of parking lots, so far so good *knocks on wood*

I once witnessed a brand new Acura TLS park very far but so happened to be downhill. Just as I got in my car I see a shopping cart catch some wind and built up quite a bit of speed right into the passenger door of the new Acura TLS. It honestly hurt watching all of this take place. I was going to leave a note as to what happened but I had no paper and was already late to meet up with some people. Felt really bad afterwards and it wasnt even my car.