GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dado's CW 2010 Golf 2.5L

davserbic

Ready to race!

QUICKIES!

Just in case anyone was interested in seeing additional pictures. They're from my iPhone so bare with me.

Last edited:

Zach L

VR junkie
Damn your Golf looks stunning! Thanks for the FYI on what you used to clean the exhaust tips. Wheels look great.

davserbic

Ready to race!

WHERE'S THE GAP?

So the car has gone through some changes since the last time I posted. I haven't been able to get photos of everything but will try to get some up soon!

Here is a quick list:

• Purchased Beetle Engine Cover
  • Removed H&R Street Performance Coilovers
  • Installed Airlift Slam Series Suspension w/ Autopilot V2 Management
  • Sold ESR SR02s

H&R Sport Coilovers have been replaced with Airlift Slam Series fronts and rears with Koni Yellow shocks. I paired this with the Autopilot V2 management system. The whole setup was done by a local VW mechanic who even put in a false floor and cut the rear carpet cover to fit the tank. All said and done, super impressed by the quality of work and end result.

I'm still dialing in on the settings and presets to what I like but everything thus far has been wonderfully fun. The car's driving characteristics has changed slightly – seems to be more comfortable of a ride when driving through pothole riddled city streets. Haven't noticed any performance increases or decreases with the new suspension but Id consider myself to be a mild driver — not terribly aggressive.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

WHEEL GAME

Stating to look at new wheel options. My final thought is to go with Mercedes Alphards (Machine Faced) with 215/40s. Really like the OEM+ look and these wheels are just beautiful.

Some photos that have inspired me:

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

NEVER AGAIN | BOUGHT TPMS THIS TIME

Last time I had aftermarket wheels, I decided to cheap out and not buy TPMS. Shortly after ... oh ... 5 minutes of having the tire pressure light on, I immediately regretted my decision. This time around, I will be ready! Opted in on buying a "New" pair from eBay.

Volkswagen / Audi "New" Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors

PRO TIP: Shipping is marked as USPS shipping for 7 days. Do not opt in the 2-day shipping option. It is an additional $79 dollars. My package was purchased in the morning, it was shipped next day. One day travel, next day pickup. Took 3.5 days to get them.

Seem to be okay! Not sure exactly on how the shop will go about programming these or setting them up. Pairing? Totally unfamiliar on how that works right now.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
You can disable TPMS, that's what I did.

davserbic

Ready to race!

COCKPIT UPGRADE

Let's cut to the chase, the baseline Golf steering wheel is absolutely, positively underwhelming. Wow factor of 0. This is something that I'm suppose to handle and use each time I sit in the drivers seat!

The baseline Steering wheel features no button functionality, no leather grip, no stitching of any sort, no ergonomic shape or grooves for better handling or feel. Nope none of that. Its a ring. Its plastic. It's disheartening.

Time for an upgrade. :w00t:

Just found a great deal on a Golf R MFSW that I could not pass up on! Yoink! Mine! I did a little bit of research and realized that I'm missing a few pieces in order to make my new steering wheel completely work as intended.

PARTS LIST:
  • PN: 5K0419091ARASZ ---------- Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel (Without Paddles)
  • PN: 1K0953549CH ---------------- GTI/Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel Control Module (SCCM - Highline Version)
  • PN: 5K0971584C ---------------- GTI/Golf R Airbag Harness

UNSURE LIST:
  • PN: 1K0959653C ------------- GTI/Golf R MultiFunction Clock Spring
  • PN: 1k0953513 ------------------ Cruise Control Stalk Switch
##: Baseline Golf Airbag to GTI/Golf R Airbag is a direct swap.

STEERING WHEEL CONTROL MODULE (SCCM) PRO TIP:
Control module that work with MFSW probably on later cars (check the compatibility): VW# 1k0 953 549 with suffix [ac, cf, bk]
Control module that definitely works with 2009 for MFSW paddle shifters: 1k0 953 549 cd
Control modules that definitely don't work with MFSW: 1k0 953 549 with version suffix [ah, br, cq, af, cq, L]
Control module that definitely works with MFSW and with or without paddle shifters on 2005.5-2006: 1k0 953 549 with version suffix [aj, ac]

The SCCM is in the column itself. On 2010 and older cars, it is a stand-alone module with low and high versions. On 2011 and newer cars, the SCCM was combined with the Spiral Spring (also called Coil Connector). There are low and high versions of this component, too. For the MFSW to work, the car must have the high version of the SCCM.

I also read this -- not sure about this yet.

After you install the new SWCM, you will need to recalibrate the angle sensor. You can follow the procedure from the Ross Tech site:

Ross-Tech: Reset Steering Angle Sensor

Does anyone know if you have to do this? According to the article in the link above: The Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is installed directly at the Steering Wheel/Slip Ring.
Ross-Tech: Steering Wheel Calibration

WIPER STALK REPLACEMENT PRO TIP:
Also found out there is a issue regarding the wiper stalk and MFSW

Once they remove the Airbag and steering wheel, check the part number on the slip ring. If it is Not 1K0-959-653-C -or- 1K0-959-653-D you may need to replace it with one that supports MFSW.

I'll also note, if your vehicle has any MFA/MFD type of Instrument cluster controls via the wiper stalk this will conflict with the MFSW. If you have a base wiper stalk without any additional controls this won't be a problem.

CLOCK SPRING PRO TIP:
Another possibility is that I might need a MF Clockspring? Not sure why I'd need that but this will need replacing only if Airbag light goes off.
PN: 1K0-959-653-C -or- 1K0-959-653-D to PN: 5K0953549B

Now I'm waiting on parts to install everything...In the meantime, I found a great tutorial that helps break down the process.

DIY: Steering Wheel Removal and Clock Spring Install

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

BOUGHT ALPHARDS

Sooooo stoked! Beyond stoked!

Finally got my hands on some Mercedes Alphards that I have wanted for some time! Got them installed with TPMS and wrapped with some Nankang Noble Sports.

Bolted out the house to get some pics. Click for larger pics.

Last edited: