GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MKVI engine problem

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
This actually raises a little concern here...When I bought my GTI there was a white 2-door that arrived on the same truck as one of their two "launch" cars. While waiting for my car I saw the white GTI on the rack. Started a conversation with the service manager and he said it was getting a new engine. He did not elaborate apart from the fact that the engine was making a unacceptable noise. I had a moment of pause considering my options, but went ahead with the purchase anyway.

Hope this is not one of those decisions that one regrets...

K

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
As a suggestion to the moderators: It may be a good idea to "sticky" this post as there may additional helpful information to follow.

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I for one hope that you are both correct...I do find it a bit suspect that a new car needed the engine replaced as soon as it was driven off the delivery truck.

snsr

I guess there is a very limited range of VINs that may have a problem (VIN ranges are posted on the Vortex, but the forums are down at the moment.) It's also been reported that the problem would make itself obvious very quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it- dealers are testing affected vin ranges, and my launch model GTI is running just fine after 1100 miles.

zee

Go Kart Champion
I was watching the thread, but didn't notice a VIN range was posted. Good to hear

zee

Go Kart Champion
Just took a look at the VINs that may have a problem. My Canadian GTI VIN which was built last week of August falls right in the middle.:thumbdown:.

Oh well...

here is the info

"GTI 2010 CCTA
CBFA
All WVW_ _ _ AJ_AW047600 WVW_ _ _ AJ_AW137298
Jetta 2010 CCTA
CBFA
All 3VW_ _ _ AJ_AM013377 3VW_ _ _ AJ_AM037456
Eos 2010 CCTA
CBFA
All WVW_ _ _AH_AV008208 WVW_ _ _ AH_AV008443
these are the VIN ranges copied/pasted from the RVU Bulletin...keep in mind not every car in theses ranges has the 2.0T, and only a small percentage was even destined for the united states... FWIW I was told there are fewer than 5000 cars to be inspected and the failure rate is expected to be less than 1%. I performed 2 of these "enhanced road tests" today on GTI's in stock and had no problem. I would be interested to know what the specific concern is, all we know is we are looking for abnormal engine noise. "

Last edited:

Q822

Ready to race!
Yeap, my canadian GTi is in there too...
BUT the dealershop doesn't have it yet....

Do you think they're gonna check it before giving me the car or I should keep an eye on it...?
How can I be sure that they have done the verification ...Is there a recall number or something like that??

thank you

GlutenBoy

Passed Driver's Ed
That's how I see things: If it's a recall i'll be notified. If something happens the warranty will kick in (The powertrain warranty is 5 years/100000km).

zee

Go Kart Champion
Yeap, my canadian GTi is in there too...
BUT the dealershop doesn't have it yet....

Do you think they're gonna check it before giving me the car or I should keep an eye on it...?
How can I be sure that they have done the verification ...Is there a recall number or something like that??

thank you

From what the original thread said, it is not a recall and not all cars are affected. All cars in the vin range have to be driven a certain way during the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) by the dealer for 20-30kms. Cars with the issue will have the problem show immediately.

A poster of the information said it was a RVU (Required Vehicle Update)...and someone defined the RVU as industry slang for something you don't tell the customers about unless they complain about an issue with their car.