GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Temp Warning Light

Pjai

Ready to race!
I hve had 2 occations where i get the red flashing on the temp light (nxt to the temp. dial) when I start the car in the morning. But when i restart the car after i pull out of the driveway it goes away. THis started happening after i shifted my over night parking space on the driveway to a very very steep spot, not sure if tat has anything to do with it, maybe the sensor is giving a warning for low in coolant or something?

generic83

lol wheel spin
It would say low coolant, not high temp if that was the case. Sounds like a faulty sensor, id stop by your dealer and see if it there is a code on your ECU for it, and let them deal with it.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
I hve had 2 occations where i get the red flashing on the temp light (nxt to the temp. dial) when I start the car in the morning. But when i restart the car after i pull out of the driveway it goes away. THis started happening after i shifted my over night parking space on the driveway to a very very steep spot, not sure if tat has anything to do with it, maybe the sensor is giving a warning for low in coolant or something?

I just saw a similar issue with my mk6 yesterday:
while driving on the high way.. my red temperature light started flashing and a message appeared warning me to check my engine coolant. However this morning when i started my car the light was off. What im concerned about now is that the Temperature Dial is now in the middle @ 190 as opposed to the usual far left. Anyone else having these issues or know what the problem might be?

thanks

Pjai

Ready to race!
my issue was in fact low coolant but it didnt give me any message.

Mine always sit on the middle at 90c which is abt ur 190F , i thought tat was normal?

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
my issue was in fact low coolant but it didnt give me any message.

Mine always sit on the middle at 90c which is abt ur 190F , i thought tat was normal?

Pjai, did you find out what was the cause of you loosing engine coolant? b/c ive only had my car for 6 months and my understanding is u almost never have to refill it.

Pjai

Ready to race!
no not quite, as it was JUST below the min line on a slope when it's cold, so I jst topped it up with very little water so it passes the min line. I do check it every now and then to see if the level is getting lower, but it hasnt been any noticeable drop over the pass few weeks. touch wood.

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
no not quite, as it was JUST below the min line on a slope when it's cold, so I jst topped it up with very little water so it passes the min line. I do check it every now and then to see if the level is getting lower, but it hasnt been any noticeable drop over the pass few weeks. touch wood.

Mine is almost an inch below the minimum mark and im afraid of adding any extra coolant cause the car manual showed insane instructions doing so. However here in the States we get a free check up at certain milages as long as the car is under warranty, and my first one is due. Ill be taking it in tomorrow morning...hopefully my engine wont burn out on the drive there.

Ill post my after service results then...not gonna lie im kinda scared (im also knocking on wood)

wholesome

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the issue checked today:

The ring holding together the pipe which connects to the coolant tank was loose; so i had a leak (factory fault). They re-sealed it...tighter this time, and refilled my tank. Considering ive probably been driving like that for awhile...thats gotta do some damage to my engine im sure.

-not a happy camper

Thanks for the replies all.

tt15gm

Passed Driver's Ed
RE: Coolant Warning Light

While driving home from work the other day my coolant warning light came on. I pulled over, popped the hood, and noticed the coolant level was a little low. I was able to drive home just fine, and the next morning when I pulled the car out of the driveway, I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the ground. So I knew I definitely had a leak somewhere and scheduled an appointment with the dealer.

The dealer said the problem was a faulty water pump, so they replaced it and all seems good now, but I'm still gonna keep an eye on the coolant level. I'm at 23K miles. I know a few others have had similar problems with low coolant, so this may be a possibility. I noticed a couple people have also had their radiators replaced and another had a hose connection tightened by the dealer.

It's definitely NOT normal to just keep adding coolant to a new car. If that's what's happening to you, then definitely get that checked out.

tribecagolf

Ready to race!
I had the same issue this morning when I was driving the car to a VW shop for service, the oil temperature indicator started to flash in RED. I drove about 5 miles and when I arrived to VW shop I turned the car off and turned it back the indicator disappeared. I told the VW service guy and he said nothing to worry as it is possible that the fluid was cool and once the car runs a bit it gets thicker. So, I don't know. I told them to check anyway.

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
It's one thing if it's a good discussion but to bring back a threa from a guy low on coolant two years ago just to say "my light came on, I told the dealer to check it"......

tribecagolf

Ready to race!
WTF is with people bring back threads from 2 fucking years ago lately?

It's one thing if it's a good discussion but to bring back a threa from a guy low on coolant two years ago just to say "my light came on, I told the dealer to check it"......

WTF is with people like you who click on a thread just to say "WTF...and some garbage"?
What's the matter with you? Just don't click. Move on, skip to another thread.

tribecagolf

Ready to race!
It's low coolant same thing happened to me about 2 months ago just have the dealer fill it

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your input.

Apparently, I annoyed this DBESTGTI guy by digging on some old thread. Or should I have just opened a new thread instead? Old threads are for some reason there so we don't open new threads for the same issues.