GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trailer Hitch

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
I was thinking about getting a trailer hitch on my GTI to haul a jet ski. I was wondering if anyone had one installed and could post some pics of how it looks from the back?

Tecni

Ready to race!
I'm also interested in this... I'd like to haul my bike around.

Geofux

Ready to race!
VW dealers don't do trailer hitches for the cars.

You'll have to look aftermarket.

rigti9

Ready to race!
You probably won't find very man, if any, that aren't bolt ons. Just need to look at the load capacity rating for each set up. My brother has a draw tight on his, similar to the one on etrailer... he only carries bikes. Looks pretty smooth, too.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Check out Hidden Hitches too. I've used their hitches on various cars and SUVs over the years and they bolt up really easily. Usually a fairly low-profile design to so you can avoid the fuglies on the tail end.

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
yikes...

average jetski 500-750 pounds. add another couple hundred for the trailer and you are up to 1/3rd the weight of the vehicle...

i would pick up an old beater truck rather than put the wear and tear on my brand new car.

The latter point is fair, but the % of weight compared to the tow vehicle is not. Small SUVs regularly have 3500 lbs tow capacity while barely being heavier than that themselves. Big Dualies regularly to 10k and up in tow capacity and actually weigh less than that. Big rigs go 80k gross combined vehicle weight while weighing maybe 20k.

It's a matter of how well cooled the engine and tranny are, proper braking systems, tires and suspension systems, and sway control - especially as the weights climb.

A thousand pounds or less is next to nothing, in terms of towing.

JMHO - but based on doing a lot of towing over the years.

Last edited:

rigti9

Ready to race!
The latter point is fair, but the % of weight compared to the tow vehicle is not. Small SUVs regularly have 3500 lbs tow capacity while barely being heavier than that themselves. Big Dualies regularly to 10k and up in tow capacity and actually weigh less than that. Big rigs go 80k gross combined vehicle weight while weighing maybe 20k or less.

It's a matter of how well cooled the engine and tranny are, proper braking systems, tires and suspension systems, and sway control - especially as the weights climb.

Yea, as long as you know what you're doing w/ a trailer behind you, you should be good to go.

lawgdawg

Ready to race!
It's a stand up jet ski that only weighs 280 pounds, so I don't think the weight should be an issue. I just don't want it to look dumb.

rigti9

Ready to race!
That hidden hitch is the best way to go then... But either way, you'll still see it from the back. IMO it won't look dumb. It means you actually do sh!t with your car vs. just driving it and looking cool. I know I'll like my car more once the roof rack gets put on. Waiting on a co-worker to bring in his crossbars and racks before I buy towers.

adroit rider

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll post a pic tomorrow with my bike racked. I went with Uhaul and it does not look bad. Much better looking than having a sail (roof rack) on the roof 100% of the time.

Tailwagger

Ready to race!

I'd add that aero is a big part of it as well. A jet ski is pretty low profile, so you dont have a barn door back there either. Shouldnt pose much of a problem. Not sure of the load ratings, but a lot of Porsche guys drag tire trailers behind Boxsters and the like to track. Four 18s and steel trail, far worse aero profile, is likely around 3-400#s. Those guys have no problem whatsoever.

klrmtn

I'll throw in that I installed (or attempted) to install the Curt hitch from etrailer. The mount hit my exhaust. Long story short, I added 1/2" of spacer to get it low enough to not hit. I contacted Curt and am working with them on what might be wrong with my hitch. Naturally, they told me it was designed and fit up on a 2010, but they are making an initial effort to help me get this right. It does hang down kind of low, but it still does the job for caring my bikes. I'll let you know how this goes, if their no help, I'll have to design my own with some of their parts.
Jason