GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about power steering

daihard

Ready to race!
Another couple of questions from this VW newbie...

First, I understand that the MKVI GTI has an electronically-controlled power steering system, thereby not needing power steering fluid. Am I correct?

Second, is the MKVI GTI power steering revolution-sensitive, or speed-sensitive?

Thanks!

Last edited:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
yes no power steering fluid :)

i believe its speed sensitive (not 100% positive)

TDI110

O_o
I think it is speed sensitive, I notice that I tend to use more force while turning at slow speeds, by slow I mean just left my drive way and driving away. However, once the car warms up the steering response is the same... so now I don't know

daihard

Ready to race!
yes no power steering fluid :)

i believe its speed sensitive (not 100% positive)

I think it is speed sensitive, I notice that I tend to use more force while turning at slow speeds, by slow I mean just left my drive way and driving away. However, once the car warms up the steering response is the same... so now I don't know

Thanks guys. I think it's speed-sensitive, too. It would still be great, though, if someone who knows for sure can jump in for us.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
I downloaded a 145 VW self study pdf's and one is ssp225_Electro-mechanical power steering.pdf It says

The electro-mechanical power steering system assists the steering movement performed by the driver by means of an electric motor. This motor, in turn, drives a worm gear. The speed-dependent steering system conveys a direct steering feel, without any annoying feedback from the road to the driver.

This Self-Study Programme explains this new technology and the differences compared with conventional hydraulic power steering systems.

I knew that already. ;)

daihard

Ready to race!
I downloaded a 145 VW self study pdf's and one is ssp225_Electro-mechanical power steering.pdf It says

The electro-mechanical power steering system assists the steering movement performed by the driver by means of an electric motor. This motor, in turn, drives a worm gear. The speed-dependent steering system conveys a direct steering feel, without any annoying feedback from the road to the driver.

This Self-Study Programme explains this new technology and the differences compared with conventional hydraulic power steering systems.

I knew that already. ;)

Very nice, thanks! Now, would you mind my asking where I can download those self-study documentation?

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Very nice, thanks! Now, would you mind my asking where I can download those self-study documentation?
I could do but I don't think we are allowed to talk about those type of sites on here are we? ;)

daihard

Ready to race!
I could do but I don't think we are allowed to talk about those type of sites on here are we? ;)

Why not? It's not like they distribute the documents illegally, is it?

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Why not? It's not like they distribute the documents illegally, is it?
Probably not, they appear to be official VW and are probably intented for dealers. I don't think they allow torrent site links to be posted on here do they? I've been banned from other forums for just talking about torrent not posted any links. ;)

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
then PM him the link

daihard

Ready to race!
Probably not, they appear to be official VW and are probably intented for dealers. I don't think they allow torrent site links to be posted on here do they? I've been banned from other forums for just talking about torrent not posted any links. ;)

No worries. I don't want you banned. I've found the documents online anyway. The document name you gave me above helped a lot. :)

The set of documents I obtained (600+ MB in size!) do not seem to include the information on the latest models (like the 2.0 TSI engine). Is it the same for you?

daihard

Ready to race!
Please upload to a file sharing server and post the link!

Just do a search using "ssp225_Electro-mechanical power steering.pdf" as the keyword. It should hit a site from which you can download the torrent file.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
The set of documents I obtained (600+ MB in size!) do not seem to include the information on the latest models (like the 2.0 TSI engine). Is it the same for you?
Yes thats the one. I was going to PM you but you've found it. I know there isn't anything very modern but its free. There is a load of VW based stuff on there is you know what to search for. ;)