GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone use Black Forest Industries in NC?

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I spent about 20-30 minutes searching to try to find the right place to post and making sure that I'm not reposting anything sooooo if I am I apologize don't flame on me toooo bad please.

Any way, I just installed a Magnaflow Catback, have a B&B downpipe on the way and am researching the different intakes. I'm planning to go APR stage 2 soon but live in somewhat of a remote area (Wilmington, NC) where the closest good speed shops are 2-3 Hours away. The best one that I can find is Black Forest Industries. Which is why I'm here.

So far tho, it hasn't gone well with them. I've called and called and called and wrote emails but can never seem to get anyone on the phone to talk to. When ever I call, they answer and direct me to this "Mat" who is their salesmen that can never seem to return my phone calls/ is ever there. :thumbdown: As you all can understand, I really don't want to drive three hours with out first talking to someone and landing an appointment.

I was just posting to see if anyone has a positive or negative experience with this shop before I give them any of my hard earned cash for a tune and service.

As always thanks for the help guys.

Maybe they are even on this forum which would be cool if they saw this!!

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
Buddy you live in NC... I hope your town is bigger than Fayetteville! Who installed your catback, have them install your downpipe and intake as well... Or just goto your APR dealer they will be able to do it for you.

If BFI isn't returning your calls, move on! I personally haven't dealt with BFI directly, but their products are good.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Buddy you live in NC... I hope your town is bigger than Fayetteville! Who installed your catback, have them install your downpipe and intake as well... Or just goto your APR dealer they will be able to do it for you.

If BFI isn't returning your calls, move on! I personally haven't dealt with BFI directly, but their products are good.

I'm not worried about installing the parts as I'm doing that myself.... Its the Tune I need which is located 2-3 hours away at an APR Dealer. I can't find a good dealer... Just looking for someone to say ... "Hey man I used.... and they where awesome. Give them a call, they will hook you up. They know their stuff. "

It all comes down to the fact that I'm super picky about the hands that I let work on my car... I've had some bad mechanics work on previous cars that did not know what they were doing and cost me alot of money. Just trying to be proactive.

SFvalleyGTi1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not worried about installing the parts as I'm doing that myself.... Its the Tune I need which is located 2-3 hours away at an APR Dealer. I can't find a good dealer... Just looking for someone to say ... "Hey man I used.... and they where awesome. Give them a call, they will hook you up. They know their stuff. "

It all comes down to the fact that I'm super picky about the hands that I let work on my car... I've had some bad mechanics work on previous cars that did not know what they were doing and cost me alot of money. Just trying to be proactive.

In that case since your comfortable working on your car. Remove the ecu and ship it to APR, downtime is 2 days, but you'll have a piece of mind...

dbduke1

Ready to race!
Bfi won't see you without an appointment and they're usually pretty backed up. Personally I've had issues with their service, such as them "losing" parts (exhaust clamps, rear shocks) and also lazy workmanship (using an impact wrench on stretch bolts). There are other APR dealers in the area but getting chipped on a mk6 requires special tools that BFI has and others might not. My advice is to get as little done there as you have to.

dbduke1

Ready to race!
...if you're not set on APR I highly recommend apex tuning (revo and unitronic) or absolute auto (custom tunes). They're in Raleigh and Durham respectively. I know the owners of both and they are awesome.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Bfi won't see you without an appointment and they're usually pretty backed up. Personally I've had issues with their service, such as them "losing" parts (exhaust clamps, rear shocks) and also lazy workmanship (using an impact wrench on stretch bolts). There are other APR dealers in the area but getting chipped on a mk6 requires special tools that BFI has and others might not. My advice is to get as little done there as you have to.

Thanks for the heads up.... I appreciate the feedback.

As SFValley guy mentioned... I checked into pulling the ECU myself and even called APR and they talked to me about it for while. They're awesome by the way... 25 min on the phone talking to me about every facet of the tuning. Answered all my questions and put me at ease. They even tried to sell me on going stage 3, offering me a ride in their stage 3 to "feel the power" lol.... any how, my B&B downpipe should come next week sometime sooo I'm going to put that on and just send in the ECU and re-install it.

As for DDuke, I'm pretty set on APR just because they are so proven at this point and all tho GIAC seems to have good stuff as well, I really can't take the chance of having any issues. APR just seems more consistently proven by more people. Thanks for the reply tho, I appreciate it!

dbduke1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the heads up.... I appreciate the feedback.

As SFValley guy mentioned... I checked into pulling the ECU myself and even called APR and they talked to me about it for while. They're awesome by the way... 25 min on the phone talking to me about every facet of the tuning. Answered all my questions and put me at ease. They even tried to sell me on going stage 3, offering me a ride in their stage 3 to "feel the power" lol.... any how, my B&B downpipe should come next week sometime sooo I'm going to put that on and just send in the ECU and re-install it.

As for DDuke, I'm pretty set on APR just because they are so proven at this point and all tho GIAC seems to have good stuff as well, I really can't take the chance of having any issues. APR just seems more consistently proven by more people. Thanks for the reply tho, I appreciate it!

Yeah that's not a bad way to go if you can stand to be without the car while the ECU is out. Its much cheaper than paying the labor to have it pulled and reinstalled, and you'll know its done right.

If you're ever in Durham and want a ride in a stage 3 GTI, hit me up!

AdvanSuper

Banned
Try Apex Tuning (Unitronic) or Absolute Automotive (GIAC), they aren't APR dealers, but they have a good reputation.

CanpakesGTI

Ready to race!
bought a bunch of stuff from BFI at waterfest 17..those guys did not know wtf they were doing,the salesmen were clueless. While talking to them I was thinking "did they just pick these guys off the street?"..missing hardware from a tranny mount kit I purchased for a friend, etc.

dbduke1

Ready to race!
I just bought a torque arm engine insert from them 2 days ago. I hope at least that is good!

Yeah I've used their inserts before, they're fine. I got it back before they had stage 1 and stage 2, and the one I had was probably equivalent to what they now call stage 2. It added a good amount of NVH, but it definitely did what it was advertised to do.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I ordered a stage 2 insert and a vent pod from them this week, showed up the next day at my house in ohio so online ordering is good. As far the tune I love APR but have never tried anything else, but in your case id just ship it to APR and bum a ride to work for a few days