GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hmm bad review of golf r :-/

Apex2Apex

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^^

This does not surprise me.

The Golf R is not the second coming... and the GTI is just so damn good these days.

P

plac

wow

" Unfortunately for me, I now have to explain to you why the Golf R falls behind the other two contenders, the GLI and GTI. This will be a little tougher to accomplish."

ImmI

Ready to race!
I'm not surprised either.

Most automotive journalists (in the Middle East anyway) acknowledge that the R just doesn't feel that special anymore. It may be a great car to some but its not an icon like the previous two R's were with their glorious VR6's. But the new R does look sick though.

shappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Many of the latest round of preview drive reviews have complained about the excessive turbo lag (relative to the GTI) and the numerically high first gear ratio that tries to make up for it, among other criticisms.

There is no denying that the R is not a car for the majority of mainstream buyers. Few are looking for an AWD vehicle that is priced in the ocean where the R swims. Many of those who are will be enticed by the performance of cars like the STI or the luxury of something like an A4. Others will either spend more for the likes of a TT-S (or TT-RS) or an S5, or spend less for a GTI or WRX. The R will be the choice for those remaining buyers. Are there 5,000 of those buyers in the United States? I can't say, but I am glad that those buyers will at least have the choice of such a vehicle available to them.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Never really a big fan of Jack Baruth though, his review is condescending in a way usually try to mimic Clarkson but often just end up sounding like an a-hole....

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
What did you expect? Underpowered, out classed, out priced.

The interior is great, sure, BUT you can easily get that in a GTI. The R just isnt what it used to be. That VR6 growl just sends shivers through your spine. And the styling was definitely a lot better.

Now the Scirocco.......is a different story.

P

plac

My friends 04 R32 will always be the sickest of all R's. He's running a solid 450awhp. Scary car.. Some HPA S/C kit, all kinds of side upgrades, cams, etc...

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The Golf R is still real fast though.

Nurburgring Times

E46 M3 - 8:22
Golf R - 8:23
S5 - 8:24
335 - 8:26
MKV R32 - 8:36
MKIV R32 - 8:37
MKVI GTI - 8:42
MKV GTI - 8:53

^^^ that's actually pretty impressive.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
But a Renault Megane Trophy 265 now is faster than all of that(8:08).....for a car with same power as the Golf R, FWD, torsion beam rear suspension and running "only" on RE050 tire(ie relatively normal tire).....

Its good though as car guys in general we are now spoiled for choice, but for US car guys our choices are rather more limited...

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
The point the reviewer misses is that backyard brawls aren't everything. I'd rather be the trackstar who dates the promqueen rather than the big ugly linebacker. The Golf R isn't meant to take down the STIs/Evos or Mustang GTs of the world. It's meant to be a more capable version of the already-polished GTI.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
^^^^^ I agree with you 100%. However, it wouldn't have cost VW much, if anything, to use a GT28 turbo instead of the k04, and then the discussion of "It's awesome, but i just wish..." With 300hp, it would have been the most anticipated car out there, and people that have the cash, would be lining up. You would even have people switching from STI/Evo to R's because of the better quality

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I guess all is fair, when you can just chip the car for 300hp

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
The reviewer in that article is a complete moron.

I hate idiotic, completely uninformed jackasses who attempt to pose as literate on a subject. When they inevitably fail, they do it so loudly other uninformed people actually think they are accurate.