GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Frayed Cloth Seats In '11 Golf TDI...

1analguy

Ready to race!
I searched this topic here and came up "zip", so here goes:

The car I traded in on my '11 Golf TDI 2dr was an '04 R32 that had gigantic bolsters on both the seat cushion and the seat back. Right from new, I was very conscious of the wear potential on those leather seats and so immediately got into the habit of placing my hand on the exposed edge of the cushion bolster and lifting myself into the seat over the bolster. I did this for over six years, so when I got the TDI it was very easy to continue doing it. In fact, I didn't even have to think about it.

The reason I bring this up is that I now (and since about 4-5k miles) have very visible wear (lots of white thread ends hanging out) on the outer driver's seat cushion bolster. This is just ridiculous because I barely ever even brush that spot. I far prefer cloth to leather on my car seats, but what the hell? Before the R32, I had a '99 Passat (purchased new) with cloth seats. All I ever did to those seats was vacuum them and they still looked new the day I traded it in almost six years (and 70k miles) later on the R32.

I asked the service manager at my dealer about this and he told me that I wasn't the "Lone Ranger" on this problem and that they (the dealership) were waiting to hear from VW's reps on exactly what (if anything) was to be done about it. This was a while ago and I haven't heard anything from him on it, so I'll have to rattle his cage and see what's going on with this...

1analguy

Ready to race!
I guess I just don't know how to search. I put in "seat wear", "seat, wear", "seat+wear", etc. and didn't obtain anything like your list (which was very helpful...thanks). My luck with searches is always mixed, at best...

thanatos

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I just don't know how to search. I put in "seat wear", "seat, wear", "seat+wear", etc. and didn't obtain anything like your list (which was very helpful...thanks). My luck with searches is always mixed, at best...

:( I think I just typed seat wear also, but I remember reading several threads here and on vortex before so I knew what to look for. One of the reasons why I went with leather (though I have a sportwagen so not sure if it's an issue with those or not)

cooch

take an electric shaver to it. im an assistant service manager for a toyota dealership and this is very common in our tacoma's. we replaced a few seat covers under warranty and the same customer are having the same problem shortly after. we started doing the shave trick and they have been fine. my tdi started after 6k miles and since i shaved it no fray has come back. normally its in the material of your clothes and how you enter and exit your vehicle. give it a try

1analguy

Ready to race!
I finally swung by the dealership again this week, and the service manager asked me to take a couple of good pictures and e-mail them to him so he could send them on to VW. I have a decent camera so I carefully took a couple of high-res pics and sent them on to him. He called me back the next day and said the pics were great and when he sent them on to VW, whoever looked at them told him that "gee, we've never seen anything like that before" and they told him to go ahead and order me a new seat cover. Then the service manager told me that when he went to order the cover, it came up on nation-wide back order! We both had a laugh about that, as the only reason that the covers are back order is that tons of people are having the same problem as I am...yet VW "hasn't seen anything like that before". Sounds like the HPFP deal all over again...

1analguy

Ready to race!
take an electric shaver to it. im an assistant service manager for a toyota dealership and this is very common in our tacoma's. we replaced a few seat covers under warranty and the same customer are having the same problem shortly after. we started doing the shave trick and they have been fine. my tdi started after 6k miles and since i shaved it no fray has come back. normally its in the material of your clothes and how you enter and exit your vehicle. give it a try

I'm on the wrong computer to post the pictures, but I'm not talking about a bit of fuzz or "pilling"/"balling" on the surface of the material. There are long fine white fibers (some more than an inch in length) that are somehow protruding through the fabric from underneath. There is no apparent surface wear or abrasion damage at all. It's as though the backing of the fabric or something underneath it has begun disintegrating and now it's coming out right through the fabric...

cooch

I'm on the wrong computer to post the pictures, but I'm not talking about a bit of fuzz or "pilling"/"balling" on the surface of the material. There are long fine white fibers (some more than an inch in length) that are somehow protruding through the fabric from underneath. There is no apparent surface wear or abrasion damage at all. It's as though the backing of the fabric or something underneath it has begun disintegrating and now it's coming out right through the fabric...

yea i hear ya. mine was about 1/4 to a 1/2inch long of fabric coming out. if it starts to do it again ill prolly bring it up to get a new one. i normally try to use my warranty "card" wisely

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
The wear issue is pretty damn high ... I try to NOT look at it anymore
I ended up buying GTI seat covers off another forum poster here ...
Hopefully by X-mas I have enough spare $ left to hire a PRO to put them in.

bearJW

Ready to race!
I had the same exact issue... white threads that come out of the fabric. Some were loops and some were just single threads.

Sunnyvale VW got VWoA to cover it after Serramonte VW threw me under the bus and told VW that it was my fault. SunnyvaleVW has my business and I'll never step foot in Serramonte VW again for any reason.

1analguy

Ready to race!
I don't know if it's because the company is based in Germany or what, but it seems like VW's take on most wide-spread problems (that are not yet recalls) is "the customers are always at fault/wrong". Just how, exactly, they reason out that this is not somehow killing off repeat sales is a mystery to me.

bearJW

Ready to race!
@1analguy: I agree. If my seats were not covered I was ready to trade in my TDI for some other manufacturers car. But they did eventually cover it.

1analguy

Ready to race!
I've just returned from my dealer (Boucher in Racine), and my new seat cover looks perfect. It was replaced under warranty, without any hassle. I'm completely satisfied...provided that the frayed condition doesn't re-occur. I should mention that my dealer has always been great to deal with, going back to '04 when I purchased my R32. I didn't buy it from them, but they always took care of it like I did...

Update, same subject:

During a seat drawer installation, I stupidly ruined two of my seat rail hold down bolts by trying to torque them using a T50 Torx bit instead of the correct 10mm triple square bit (the triple square bit set that I ordered hadn't arrived yet). I went to Boucher VW and told both the service and parts managers what I had done. They ordered two new bolts for me, and when the bolts came in, they gave them to me! They wouldn't take any money. I know it was only a few $ but it's still unusual behavior, and I'm amazed that after all these years...I'm finally impressed by a car dealer.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
@1analguy: I agree. If my seats were not covered I was ready to trade in my TDI for some other manufacturers car. But they did eventually cover it.

You were going to trade your car because of seat covers ?:laugh: Seriously?