GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R showing up on VW.com

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Pictures, specs and prices up online, but no build your own feature.

In the estimate payments feature, it shows the base 4dr model is NOT an available option.

Just FYI.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Just checked, shows a 4 door option for $36,090 for me.

Frankly, other then the exterior which IS nice, I dunno.

I got a GTI with nav and sunroof, bi-xenons, pretty much everything for $26k, dropped $900 for the APR stage 1 and now I have the same power the R has for only $27k. That's $9k less, I could buy the R bumpers and skirts and MAKE my GTI a R for less money I bet.

Oh, and they list the R at 27MPG, my GTi gets 31. ;)

djax1

Ready to race!

I got a GTI with nav and sunroof, bi-xenons, pretty much everything for $26k, dropped $900 for the APR stage 1 and now I have the same power the R has for only $27k. That's $9k less, I could buy the R bumpers and skirts and MAKE my GTI a R for less money I bet.

this is true. but, the R has a nice looking front, side, and bodonka donk.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
I hate how everything we get from VW is watered down over here compared to the Euro/ROW spec...like no LED tails on the R, really?

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion

Cant get the R traction through aftermarket though....that is the real reason to me.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Cant get the R traction through aftermarket though....that is the real reason to me.

Has that even been confirmed? Last I heard it as a possibility, but considering, as mentioned, so much else about the R is being changed from the Euro version.....who even knows?

And even then, I don't think that is important enough to me to warrant the $10k price difference.

Again, nice car, no complaints, except the price.

EDIT: Fixed, LOL

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Has that even been confirmed? Last I heard it as a possibility, but considering, as mentioned, so much else about the R is being changed from the Euro version.....who even knows?

And even then, I don't think that is important enough to me to warrant the $10k price difference.

Now, if it was an AWD model......then I would sit up and consider it.

Again, nice car, no complaints, except the price.

what?! not following you...

The R is an AWD model.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Thumper

Autocross Champion
agreed - this guy is obviously out of the loop :laugh: ;)

:iono:

So sorry. Specs I saw said FWD/Transverse.

LOL

And FYI, I don't do "loops", that's for NASCAR. ;)

Uberryan

Banned
Actually, it's only considered an AWD model because of the haladex unit, and few drivetrain modifications, but no where near a true AWD. The quattro system is more of an AWD platform.

This "AWD" system on the golf R has a 80/20% bias to the wheels via means of the haladex unit. Of course modification to the haladex unit is possible, but obviously requires altering the unit's bias to make it 50/50. You would obviously see a loss of power being the 220-230 factory rated hp being split now down the middle across the 4 wheels. With that setup, you'd have two chubby kids moving the car instead of a marathon runner in front and an obese kid cheering him on from behind.

emk6

Ready to race!
I hate how everything we get from VW is watered down over here compared to the Euro/ROW spec...like no LED tails on the R, really?

Nots just VW other manufactures also.

... There's a lot to like about the R, I applaud VW for bringing the R to our shores, but with a 10k difference between the GTI and the R I would rather pocket that money.

With the R in the states, just maybe it's time for front end conversion. I can live without the AWD :thumbsup: