GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Important message to DSG Golf R Owners...

inc55

Go Kart Champion

You guys are very lucky to enjoy such an amazing ride. DSG!! K04 stock. No ECU removal to flash. STOCK LED Tails! Comfort Setting. Enjoy you lucky bastards and drive safe.:D

Please feel free to tell us US folk how much you enjoy your ride.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
VW 6speed is like butter, don't fake the funk.. easy to creep in 1st gear, no clutch, and 2nd gear roll in traffic as well.

Also, these "facts" have been known for quite some time, so we don't need thread #1,000 on the same subject....

McQueen77

Banned
I not live in traffic free area

i not either yet i drive shit out of six speed. guess the vast majority of people in insanely congested areas everywhere but the US haven't gotten the memo that standard gearbox doesn't work out in traffic... traffic excuse like, slightly lame brah

vw sent a message by making US Golf R manual only.

Last edited:

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion

You guys are very lucky to enjoy such an amazing ride. DSG!! K04 stock. No ECU removal to flash. STOCK LED Tails! Comfort Setting. Enjoy you lucky bastards and drive safe.:D
[/QUOTE]

Yeah...this has been beat to death. But if DSG was offered in the US I would have an R right now...yes I can drive a stick and have had many fast manual cars along with a ton a obscenely fast bikes. But I love the DSG, amazing launches, lightning fast shift's, and the loud exhaust burp every time sucked me in and I never want to go back. On the bright side Audi still has the TT S (faster, lighter, better handling,DSG equipped, less practical Golf R) that is now on my short list for next car :)

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I'm worried bout being in the snow with a 6spd. I probably would have lots of fun with a manual but sometimes I wanna zone out and just chill.

What was the message vw sent by making the r only in manual?

McQueen77

Banned
I'm worried bout being in the snow with a 6spd. I probably would have lots of fun with a manual but sometimes I wanna zone out and just chill.

that its a 'purist's' car for the enthusiast. i like the exclusionary nature of the R manual only option.

DSG is awesome, but my grandma could drive it, and it would shift real fast. that's the difference I suppose.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I can see your point. When I had the mk5 r32 I kept seeing female drivers with the same car. The stick only option will greatly reduce the amount of female drivers :)

I might move to Arizona in about a year so I might pull the trigger on the R.

Dayv

Ready to race!

A manual transmission in the snow is a good thing. You can moderate your torque more easily to prevent slippage.

In order to keep prices to a level Americans are willing to pay for a hot hatch, VW had to limit the build options. Not counting paint color, there are only four versions of the US Golf R (one being a special order only, 4-door without sunroof and nav, so it's more like three). Adding a DSG option would have doubled those. Increasing the number of builds increases costs, which would increase the price.

I'm not saying that DSG or manual is better. If I'd had the option to choose between the two, I'd have considered the pros and cons pretty closely.

If the R sells really well in this incarnation, maybe we'll get a bigger run and more choices in the next US appearance (2004, 2008, 2012... 2016?).