GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer Guru's

P

plac

obviously you arent a Mac person, nothing more needs to be said about your foolishness. The Mac users know all about resale values.

PS. Stay away from the Zenbooks. I studied them for months. Way to buggy to trust. Especially the keyboard and touchpad.

The only ~13" better than my Macbook Air is the Sony Z212 series, with external blueray dock. It has arguably the best screen ever made for a laptop in the history of laptops. I would own one, except its $2700 or so. Hmmm.. but i could sell my Air for at least 80% of what i paid for it new any day of the week.. then maybe throw in another $1200 and get that Sony. tempting. but they don't even make them anymore, its hard to find them new.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
My vote is for an Asus Zenbook or the new Dell XPS 13.

True but you need to spend money on the Windows license. It's not free.

Macs aren't cars. There's no such thing as "holding value" when it comes to a computer. If you sold something old and used to someone for 90% of what you paid for it then it's because that person is a fool, not because of some collectable resale value.

Sure it is if your work supplies it if they need you to use your computer for work sometimes. :)

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
obviously you arent a Mac person, nothing more needs to be said about your foolishness. The Mac users know all about resale values.

PS. Stay away from the Zenbooks. I studied them for months. Way to buggy to trust. Especially the keyboard and touchpad.

Yep, pretty obvious he has no clue what he is talking about. And him saying he has been in the IT field for 14 years is hard to believe the way he is talking.

MACs do hold their value. I have sold my Macbook Pros and iphones and ipads for around 75-85% of the original value a year to two years after the original purchase of the product. Now I wish my actual PC components would hold their value for that much! haha.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
hey i was anti-mac for 14 years too.. i know how it can be..

Same. I started to own a few MACs only 3 years ago. :) All were PC's before that.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!

What you are saying is that other Mac fanatics are foolish enough to pay higher for used Mac products? I see. I didn't know Apple fans were that gullible.

Just checked eBay. Some original MacBook Air (2008) laptops selling for $400-500. Considering the $1799 sticker price on it? That's not 90% of it's value. That's 22% of it's value.

Yep, pretty obvious he has no clue what he is talking about. And him saying he has been in the IT field for 14 years is hard to believe the way he is talking.

MACs do hold their value. I have sold my Macbook Pros and iphones and ipads for around 75-85% of the original value a year to two years after the original purchase of the product. Now I wish my actual PC components would hold their value for that much! haha.

I checked eBay to confirm resale value. I don't know what resale value has to do with my IT experience. That would be more sales than IT. But checking eBay confirmed what I said. This is a sales discussion here. The IT experience factor was in a different thread. Keep it that way.

As far as PC components "holding value", technology is always depreciating and gets cheaper. I paid $200 for 2GB DDR400 back in 2006. Now you can get 8GB DDR3 for $40. It's just a part of technology and has nothing to do with "holding value".

Last time I checked they were practically giving away iPhone 3GS's for $50 with contract at AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out: http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/06/iphone-3gs-to-be-50-from-att-starting-tomorrow/

Yep, that's "holding value" so well that they were practically giving them away.

Last edited:
P

plac

omg, you fool.. we arent talking about 4 year old laptops. you dont deserve any more replies on this topic.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
omg, you fool.. we arent talking about 4 year old laptops. you dont deserve any more replies on this topic.

1. Grow up. This is just a conversation.
2. Curious. What are you talking about then? Like buying a MacBook and selling it a year later?

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
hey i was anti-mac for 14 years too.. i know how it can be..

Which is? I went through Apple Care training (online) and have used a MacBook before (Leopard). I even created a "Hackintosh" once. Not sure what you are assuming.

There's only one thing that impressed me about MacBooks and that was the magnetic power plug.

They are always a step behind on technology. The Core i5/i7 was available for a year before Apple finally put them into their Macs. I have several USB 3.0 external hard drives and Macs don't support USB 3.0. Instead they hoped for Thunderbolt, which nothing uses and USB 3.0 is becoming standard in everything.

No dedicated HDMI in the latest MacBook Pro. You need an adapter. No Blu-Ray. Really? That's 6 year old technology that Macs still don't have?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
MBA's sell for $999 or $1299 new. So a 2008 model 4 years later actually asking $700-800 when they are actually near finishing as seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...ple_Laptops&hash=item3372ae8ea0#ht_500wt_1180

So I have no clue where you got that stupid low number from but you are wrong.

iphone 3GS on ebay still go for $150-$200. iphone 4 $400, 4s, $600.

You haven't said one thing correct yet.

What you are saying is that other Mac fanatics are foolish enough to pay higher for used Mac products? I see. I didn't know Apple fans were that gullible.

Just checked eBay. Some original MacBook Air (2008) laptops selling for $400-500. Considering the $1799 sticker price on it? That's not 90% of it's value. That's 22% of it's value.

I checked eBay to confirm resale value. I don't know what resale value has to do with my IT experience. That would be more sales than IT. But checking eBay confirmed what I said. This is a sales discussion here. The IT experience factor was in a different thread. Keep it that way.

As far as PC components "holding value", technology is always depreciating and gets cheaper. I paid $200 for 2GB DDR400 back in 2006. Now you can get 8GB DDR3 for $40. It's just a part of technology and has nothing to do with "holding value".

Last time I checked they were practically giving away iPhone 3GS's for $50 with contract at AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out: http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/06/iphone-3gs-to-be-50-from-att-starting-tomorrow/

Yep, that's "holding value" so well that they were practically giving them away.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
avoid hp. the batteries are garbage. I always take my battery out when the laptop is plugged in and after about 1.5 years the battery won't last more than 10 minutes unplugged. My friends that also have HP laptops killed their batteries shortly after the warranty ended. ironic huh

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Step behind huh? Funny. Everyone is copying them now with the UlltraBooks after the AIR has been out 3 years earlier than them. Oh, now with Thunderbolt which is much faster than USB 3.0, and they were the first to adopt it. Now I think it's Sony that is adding them, and soon others. (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news...erbolt-ports-could-come-as-early-as-april.ars) WHY SUPPORT USB 3.0, when Thunderport is faster and soon to be the standard. Why dedicated HDMI? One port does everything you need. Waste of space having multiple ports not in use. LOL Battery life too. Apple has had the longest battery life laptops for years now. No one has been able to get close to it till recently. I do agree though that they were a bit behind on the processor and video graphics for the most part, but truthfully, the O/S ran much better on that machine than Windows with the same hardware. Put Windows on a Mac and it actually ran smoother. Go figure.

No need for bluray now. Everything is going Streaming and the cloud.

Which is? I went through Apple Care training (online) and have used a MacBook before (Leopard). I even created a "Hackintosh" once. Not sure what you are assuming.

There's only one thing that impressed me about MacBooks and that was the magnetic power plug.

They are always a step behind on technology. The Core i5/i7 was available for a year before Apple finally put them into their Macs. I have several USB 3.0 external hard drives and Macs don't support USB 3.0. Instead they hoped for Thunderbolt, which nothing uses and USB 3.0 is becoming standard in everything.

No dedicated HDMI in the latest MacBook Pro. You need an adapter. No Blu-Ray. Really? That's 6 year old technology that Macs still don't have?

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
avoid hp. the batteries are garbage. I always take my battery out when the laptop is plugged in and after about 1.5 years the battery won't last more than 10 minutes unplugged. My friends that also have HP laptops killed their batteries shortly after the warranty ended. ironic huh

Yeah, many of the netbooks we got from HP at work, they are about 1.5 years old now, and batteries are dying left and right. While the Asus ones that are 2.5 years old are still going. LOL

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
MBA's sell for $999 or $1299 new. So a 2008 model 4 years later actually asking $700-800 when they are actually near finishing as seen here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...ple_Laptops&hash=item3372ae8ea0#ht_500wt_1180

So I have no clue where you got that stupid low number from but you are wrong.

iphone 3GS on ebay still go for $150-$200. iphone 4 $400, 4s, $600.

You haven't said one thing correct yet.

The MBA, when first released in 2008, was $1799 MSRP. Are you not aware of that?

The "stupid low number" comes from this: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-MacBo..._pcategid=58058&_from=R40&_dmpt=Apple_Laptops

Nice of you to grab a single link where the laptop has an upgraded HDD and $80 webcam. Way to cherry pick. :w00t:

If you buy a used iPhone 3GS on eBay for $150-200 then you are a complete and utter moron. You can now get brand new one for $0.99 at AT&T (just checked) with contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku4670287

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Back peddle much? You gave me a link to ones that aren't done yet. I gave you ONE that was almost done.

LOL, that's IN CONTRACT. Break that contract and guess what. You owe $350 bucks. Unless it's considered lower tier now. You just can't admit you are wrong. You got half a dozen others telling you too.

The iphones sell for that. ALL OF THEM DO. Wow, seriously you are probably not in IT.

The MBA, when first released in 2008, was $1799 MSRP. Are you not aware of that?

The "stupid low number" comes from this: http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-MacBo..._pcategid=58058&_from=R40&_dmpt=Apple_Laptops

Nice of you to grab a single link where the laptop has an upgraded HDD and $80 webcam. Way to cherry pick. :w00t:

If you buy a used iPhone 3GS on eBay for $150-200 then you are a complete and utter moron. You can now get brand new one for $0.99 at AT&T (just checked) with contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/packages/packages-details.jsp?q_package=sku4670287