GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bored to tears with 2012 Civic, want GTI

edkaczmarek

Greetings.

I've read the threads convince me or not to buy a GTI.

I know VW quality has come along way since the 2000s'

Should I compromise to an AudiA3 instead of a GTI to get "better" reliability ?

Any A3 owners have something to add there ?

(I'm not loving that station wagon look of the A3, and while the A5 2 door is drop dead gorgeous, living with a 2 door in NorthernVA/DC sucks)

Those Hondas' love em/hate em, they are so damn reliable it kills me to think I can't get a car that's mildly entertaining that won't have me in the shop every month. :mad0259:
Don't say subaru wrx/STI, I'm over the manual transmission thing.

-Ed

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The more gadgets a car will have the less reliable it will be. That's the general rule of thumb. So that answers your A3 question. It won't be any more reliable than a GTI.

A civic will be more reliable than a GTI. That's just a fact. That said the GTI is decent not that many issues have been reported.

1. Faulty intake manifold
2. DSG False neutrals (fixed with latest update?!)
3. Leaky Water Pump
4. Leaky rear nozzle (not a real issue IMO)
5. Various rattles
6. Old cars seems to have ignition coil issues.

davethetenor

Passed Driver's Ed
Honda reliability is overrated, in my opinion, in two ways. Firstly, our 2008 Odyssey has had several problems with door hardware/seals and a recall for a power steering pump, and Honda went through a brutal years-long stretch with horrible transmission failure issues. Secondly, how reliably does a Honda make you smile when you drive it? German cars FTW on that front.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Honda reliability is overrated, in my opinion, in two ways. Firstly, our 2008 Odyssey has had several problems with door hardware/seals and a recall for a power steering pump, and Honda went through a brutal years-long stretch with horrible transmission failure issues. Secondly, how reliably does a Honda make you smile when you drive it? German cars FTW on that front.

One case vs years of reliability statistics.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Dude, I have to call into question any report that places both Jag and SAAB as top performing for quality. LOL

Dodge/Chrysler seems to be about right though. :D

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
. Secondly, how reliably does a Honda make you smile when you drive it? German cars FTW on that front.

I can autocross it and not feel worried about breaking something :laugh:

Seriously though with VW, just have to keep up with preventative maintenance and it should be ok, it will cost more to operate, but it is the key to keep it running reliable

Dude, I have to call into question any report that places both Jag and SAAB as top performing for quality. LOL

Dodge/Chrysler seems to be about right though. :D

I think saab sold less cars than say what toyota sells in a day lol

AXO

Go Kart Champion
The Pros:
The GTI looks Better.
The GTI Handles Better.
The GTI is Faster.
The GTI Brakes Better.
The GTI has a nicer interior.
The GTI has a better standard sound system.
The GTI comes with 3 year, 36000 mile free service plan.
The Biggest Pro: The GTI is more FUN to Drive.

The Cons:
The GTI costs More.
The GTI get less MPG. (by not much)
The GTI has less tuners available
Most GTI owners are very opinionated about modifications.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Get a test drive! because eventually whatever we say to you could be Bias :thumbup: but the fact is no car is perfect and numbers are just numbers.
For example: I love the Corrado SLC and it painfully unrealiable,but it's a Freaking Corrado!!:23:
If you ask us,yes,we will take a GTi any day,over the Si.So far the GTI is the best bang for your buck,and very enjoyable when it comes to mod,still sleek over other cars with racer boy image.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I think saab sold less cars than say what toyota sells in a day lol

:laugh:

So true......but that chart represents defects per 100, so that has no bearing on the statistic.

bigpun

Ready to race!
I have come from Japanese cars to VW which being my first German car. Like someone said in the forums you just need to do the preventative maint. on these car and stay on top of them. example i change my oil every 5k instead of 10k. things like that should keep your VW going for long time. Buying a Golf/GTI which is a world renown car VW invested a lot time and over years and has come long ways making there cars reliable which it can compete against top Japanese car makers and Korean cars (which to me is surprising).

GOOD LUCK!!!!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I have come from Japanese cars to VW which being my first German car. Like someone said in the forums you just need to do the preventative maint. on these car and stay on top of them. example i change my oil every 5k instead of 10k. things like that should keep your VW going for long time. Buying a Golf/GTI which is a world renown car VW invested a lot time and over years and has come long ways making there cars reliable which it can compete against top Japanese car makers and Korean cars (which to me is surprising).

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Yes, but poor reliability is the bad stuff that happens despite preventive maintainence!
Unscheduled service stops - is what they're called - and if you get a lot of them, despite your PM - it gets really tiresome.

That said, I've had my GTI for just over one year (Dec. 23rd.) and had no unscheduled stops.
That's great news!

'Course, I leased a Rav4 and an Accord (each 36 month leases) and neither vehicle had a single unscheduled service stop in three years!

I'd love to see my GTI do that - who knows?

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I was in the same boat, except this was my list:

Audi A4 B8
Infiniti G37
VW GTI MK6

Drove G37 first. Had my eye on it for years and years. Then drove the A4... boring but nice. Drove the GTI and smiled from ear to ear every time I sat back in it to test drive it (total of 3 test drives before I purchased).

Talked to Audi service department. They're more expensive than VW/Honda/Infiniti. G37 has a world renowned engine but V8 style MPG. Audi wasn't fun and maintenance was expensive. VW was a perfect mesh between the 2. Still worried about long term reliability, but it's not like it's a BMW.

Drive it. Buy it. Smile every day you get in it. I do.

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
I was behind a new 2012 SI last night. They destroyed the looks. It looks like shit (even worse than a 8th Gen)