GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: upgrade 2011+ manual HVAC to Climatic

flyguy27

Ready to race!
The remainder parts should be delivered today. I have my car apart and removed lower duct in preparation. I would like to see pictures of the wiring if anyone has. So far I can't seem to picture it in my head from the directions. Maybe it'll click once I have the parts and can follow step by step. Hurry up UPS!

JS12

Ready to race!
I plan to wrap up my install starting in a few minutes. I will take some pics and reply with a few notes when I'm done.

Edit: Success!

I was able to get this done. A big thanks to ThosKS for the DIY. I wouldn't have known where to start without the guide. My install did have a few differences and I had a nice detailed post written up when photobucket decided to puke on my browser when uploading the pics causing me to lose the entire post. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Ok, I got the retrofit complete and autoscan on vcds checked out fine. Changed seat heat retention back on. I monitored the values off the sensors and they are responding to changes of the temp knob. It was blowing at about 10c cabin temp said 29c but it took forever and after about 15 to 20 mins sitting, interior temp read 26.9c which is hotter than I felt. I was cold at this point but the car was in the garage so I guess I gotta monitor this to make sure the interior temp sensor is reading the right temp. Everything else is great though! Thanks again for the DIY.

eduardot

Ready to race!
I was able to get this done. A big thanks to ThosKS for the DIY. I wouldn't have known where to start without the guide. My install did have a few differences and I had a nice detailed post written up when photobucket decided to puke on my browser when uploading the pics causing me to lose the entire post. I'll try again tomorrow.

Nice, looking forward to your notes.

I should receive the parts tomorrow, but will do this on Sunday. Saturday I have my 10K maintenance. My a/c is not smelling very nice in the mornings so will have them take a look at it. Wouldn't want them blaming the smell on this mod.

PVKAN

I plan to wrap up my install starting in a few minutes. I will take some pics and reply with a few notes when I'm done.

Edit: Success!

:happyanim:
That is awesome news. It really makes my day to know for sure that this process is repeatable. Anxious to see this mod evolve.

PVKAN

Ok, I got the retrofit complete and autoscan on vcds checked out fine. Changed seat heat retention back on. I monitored the values off the sensors and they are responding to changes of the temp knob. It was blowing at about 10c cabin temp said 29c but it took forever and after about 15 to 20 mins sitting, interior temp read 26.9c which is hotter than I felt. I was cold at this point but the car was in the garage so I guess I gotta monitor this to make sure the interior temp sensor is reading the right temp. Everything else is great though! Thanks again for the DIY.

That sounds about right. 29c = 84.2f and 26.9c = 80.4f. If your car had been sitting for a while before you started it, the interior would be giving off a fair amount of residual heat and the sensor will continue to pick that up for a while. Also, I've noticed that my A/C doesn't blow nearly as cold when the engine is at idle speed, so your cooldown may have taken longer than it typically will when the car is being driven.

Since it only has one interior temp sensor, it'll never be the most precise system in the world, but I think you'll really appreciate it on longer drives where the interior temp has a chance to even out. It's been nice not to have to change the temp knob every 5 minutes like I was before.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
That sounds about right. 29c = 84.2f and 26.9c = 80.4f. If your car had been sitting for a while before you started it, the interior would be giving off a fair amount of residual heat and the sensor will continue to pick that up for a while. Also, I've noticed that my A/C doesn't blow nearly as cold when the engine is at idle speed, so your cooldown may have taken longer than it typically will when the car is being driven.

Since it only has one interior temp sensor, it'll never be the most precise system in the world, but I think you'll really appreciate it on longer drives where the interior temp has a chance to even out. It's been nice not to have to change the temp knob every 5 minutes like I was before.

I just got back from a drive with VCDS hooked up so I could monitor all the values and what you just said above is correct. It cooled much faster and interior temp dropped down 22c. I messed around enough to confirm that everything is working as it should.:thumbup:

JS12

Ready to race!
Ok! I was able to get my pics uploaded. Sorry if they are too big. I shrunk them down a lot but I have a HUGE...monitor.

Here are my notes from this install, with a few additions/differences from the original DIY. Again, I couldn't have done this without the guide by ThosKS so none of this is meant as criticism, merely supplemental reading.

1. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are tiny numbers on the plugs that connect to the temperature sensors identifying the pins that will eventually be connected to the rear of the control unit. I tried to take a pic because these were more challenging than finding Waldo:

2. Once I got the dash temp sensor hooked up, like a primate I just tried jamming the wires into the dash a few times towards the steering wheel. I then evolved and decided to run the wires near the bottom of the dash. Like so:

3. The main difference between the original DIY and my install was that I did not remove the drivers floor vent. Instead (and this may be completely wrong), I noticed a small round opening to the far right of the vent and stuffed the temp sensor in that. It seemed to be the perfect size but the fit does not match up exactly. I'm curious if the 2010-2011 models with the climatic controls from the factory have some type of bracket or adapter to make the sensor fit more snugly.

The small hole that I used is visible in the upper left of this pic from the original DIY:

I fit the sensor in the vent hole facing the drivers side door and then rotated it towards the front of the car. That seemed to help it fit more snugly and keep the wires out of the way. I tried to take a pic:

I may end up redoing the sensor placement or taping it to the vent if it becomes loose, but I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to see how it goes.
Warning/Disclaimer: unless you secure the sensor or take the slack out of the wires, it is easily possible for the sensor to fall and break or get caught up in the area around your right foot/gas pedal. I claim no responsibility if you choose this method. Zero, zip, zilch.

4. Lastly, for those who haven't taken apart the wiring harness/plugs before, I tried to take pics of how I got them apart using a small screwdriver. And yes, I know my fingernails need to be clipped.

The entire process really wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'm burning at least 2 fewer calories per day adjusting the temp knob staying cool in the dreadful summer heat. :cool:

Hope this helps!

eduardot

Ready to race!
One last item: there is a software update for 2011s and some 2012s equipped with the manual HVAC system to correct the problem with the heater blowing cold air. Since the software is in the HVAC control panel, you will no longer need this update if you perform this retrofit because you have removed the panel with the faulty software. However, I don’t know what would happen if a dealer tries to perform the update on a car that has had this retrofit done. I’d think it would just fail because the update would look for a specific software version, but I’m a little concerned that the update could just overwrite whatever software is there…leaving you with a manual HVAC system all over again. I will try and research this further.

My advice would be to take your car in for service before you do the upgrade. I just came back from my 10k service, they updated the sw on the manual hvac panel from 0304 to 0404. No other changes were reported by a VCDS Autoscan afterwards.

I will be doing the upgrade this afternoon or tomorrow morning :)

eduardot

Ready to race!
Success! :happyanim:

I finished the retrofit a couple of hours ago. Here are my notes/differences:

- I took the lower dash panel out just because I hate fishing wires around. Not really sure if it was necessary, but it helped sometimes.
- I installed the footwell sensor the same way ThosKS did. It sits there tight, and it ends in a good position for wiring. My footwell vent was held by two T20 screws. No zip ties.
- The friction tape is awesome! The end result is very clean because of it.
- Be careful when choosing where to route your wires for the dash vent sensor. Remember the steering wheel moves. I taped it to a plastic piece that runs parallel to the vent.
- Not sure if it will happen to everyone. However, after reconnecting the battery , I ran an auto scan and got faults from the TPMS and Steering Angle Sensor. I even got a message on the MFD showing an error with ESP. They both go away after a short drive.

Like others, I took the car for a drive with VCDS running. The temp sensors reported correctly, and the temperature was held really well.

I can post pictures to some of the things I mentioned above if anybody wants them.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
Is it me or it seems like my ac is a lot colder and more effective since I did this mod?

flyguy27

Ready to race!
I've been wondering about this too. Maybe it's because of the auto recirculation?

Sent using Tapatalk

I dunno but my temp knob sits at about 2 o clock and its summer, so I dunno man but im not complaining.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
I would like to know how this effects the temp that the AC blows. I have a 2010 GTI which came stock with Climatic. My Girlfriend just bought a 2012 with manual and her AC sucks compared to mine. I have to set it to AC max and 4 speed to get it to cool down and the air that it blows still isnt that cold, if I put mine to 60 it freezes my hands on the steering wheel.

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Parts ordered. Bought a Climatic control panel that came from a 2010 Jetta (which should arrive Tuesday), and waiting for the sensor and everything else to ship from 1stvwparts.

What gauge wire have you all been using? I know it doesn't matter, but the speaker wire that I have is pretty heavy gauge and probably won't be a good idea to put in the car. :confused: