GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover kit decision

Turbo t1

Passed Driver's Ed
So I'm going to get V3's as everyone keeps telling me they are so much better than most other coilovers.

As far as settings are concerned, has anyone with these made a note of their settings? If so could you post them up as it would be really helpful to get an idea of a good starting point with these settings.

Thanks.

drhiggens

Ready to race!
I decided to got the the HPA SHS set they are rebranded v1s set to be about 5-8% softer then the v1 having them put in today. Ill post my thought about them if you like. but im told they will be really close to stock.

Turbo t1

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided to got the the HPA SHS set they are rebranded v1s set to be about 5-8% softer then the v1 having them put in today. Ill post my thought about them if you like. but im told they will be really close to stock.

That would be very helpful of you have the time. Thanks.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
My V3s are set right in the middle both front and back, both compression and rebound.

I think its a great balance, but I like my ride a bit firmer, so I will be stiffening the 3 easily accessible locations a few clicks this weekend. I'll report the differences.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
So I just adjusted the front to full stiff on both rebound and compression, and the rear compression to full stiff. Rebound is on the top on the rear, so it was left at 50%.

Turn in is sharper, you feel what the tires are doing much more, feel the small bumps, car bobs more because the entire structure is moving with the road contours instead of the majority of them being absorbed by the suspension.

At full stiff, the V3s are still much more compliant than the PSS10s at 8/10.

I did feel the rear rebound was a bit soft though, so I will probably be removing the rears to get rebound to full stiff.

I think I am going to leave it full stiff for a while and see how I like it.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
With the suspension at 50% F/R, C/R, I really thought the Kumho 4x run of the mill a/s tires (purchased for my wifes rabbit, but I took her wheels) were pretty damn good for what they were.

Adjusting the suspension really pointed out that they suck lol. Car pushed like a mofo, and was basically going nowhere on acceleration out of a turn.

I'll be getting better tires in the spring.

Turbo t1

Passed Driver's Ed
My V3s are set right in the middle both front and back, both compression and rebound.

I think its a great balance, but I like my ride a bit firmer, so I will be stiffening the 3 easily accessible locations a few clicks this weekend. I'll report the differences.

That's really helpful, thanks.

Turbo t1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks again MkV Aaron for taking the time to give that feedback. That gives me a good idea where to start.

drhiggens

Ready to race!
First impression of the HPA SHS are a bit of a shock for me. I had them put it at close to the tallest setting. Its about 35mm drop over stock and the visual difference is amazing even at the tallest setting, hate the wheel gap of the stock setup. After a few weeks when the springs settle I will dial in the hight I am looking for.
As for the ride I have not driven it that far but I was shocked. I think the straight line comfort over the stock setup has improved. The stock set up always felt sort of wooden to me this just feels so supple and there seems to be much less noise and vibration being transferred into the passenger cabin at every speed. Truly night and day.
Its just my first impression (only put maybe 35 miles on the set so far) but I am really pleased, my big concern was loosing the stock ride quality that I thought was really nice. and so far is seems that it has only become better.
Makes me much more inclined to put in the sway bars knowing it will be a bit stiffer it should still be great.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Another update. I took the rear shocks out and turned the rebound to full stiff to match the rest of the car. (took about an hour total. You can remove the shock by itself, 2 bolts up top, one on the bottom.

I also double checked the KW manual for ride heights, and while I was easily within their guidelines as is, I did end up raising the front 2 turns on the passenger side and 3 on the drivers.

I haven't driven it since i adjusted the rear rebound, but I'll post up when I do.