GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forgive an old man, but why so low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
To my ears dub is generally about reverb, delay, and mastering favoring the mid-low frequencies. Dubstep is bass-centric but in an entirely different way. There really isn't any relationship between dub and dubstep I've heard aside from the name IMO.

Then again, discussions like this make me wonder what King Tubby and the likes would have done with modern equipment.

Listen to some Digital Mystikz (Mala & Coki) and you will state otherwise.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
I like where this thread is going.

Saw both DP and Justice live. AMAZING.

Surprised no one has said The Crystal Method yet but we've talked about Justice and DP :(

Crystal Method have gone off the deep path since their last album. They are more into stupid trends than making new ones sadly. But their live shows where they actually perform live and not stupid DJ sets are where it's at.

And if you compare Crystal Method to The Chemical Brothers, no contest...the Chems win hands down over Scott and Ken.

Nero is what I've kind of gotten into now for my dubstep, if you can really call them that.

lol NERO was primarily drum and bass when they first started and made a name for themselves (first heard them through High Contrast's FabricLive album 8 years ago), and this is what they were:

Your average NERO fan has not a clue about their drum and bass efforts lol

Over the years the electronic music in me has kinda died out. But since we're adding names to the list of good ones... Boys Noize is good too, Msterkrft, Glitch mob...

Boys Noize is legendary, but Glitch Mob is mehhhh

Having wondered what dubstep was (I thought it was a snide reference to the white guy flashing the VW gang sign in the ads, lol) since seeing references here about it I now know. That said, if it's your thing then you don't give a shit what I think. As it should be. :)

IMHO ;) this is to music what most posts/tweets/text messages are to the English language. Yes, life IS a grammar lesson.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I haven't followed Crystal meth in a long long time, so I can't really speak to that.

Nero, is, yeah drum and bass, they were categorized as dub when I was looking for them, but yeah I can definitely agree with you on that.

Boys Noize is. Glitch mod...I was reaching, but I like 'em :p

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Having wondered what dubstep was (I thought it was a snide reference to the white guy flashing the VW gang sign in the ads, lol) since seeing references here about it I now know. That said, if it's your thing then you don't give a shit what I think. As it should be. :)

IMHO ;) this is to music what most posts/tweets/text messages are to the English language. Yes, life IS a grammar lesson.

I told all my friends when I got my GTI I'm not into dubstep anymore, I'm into dubrolling.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
So I take it you hate artists/bands like Joy Division, New Order, Gary Numan, Japan, Kraftwerk, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Human League, Public Image Limited, etc., because they play with synthesizers now? They were also around that time too of the bands you mention.

Yes exactly.:thumbsup:

Seriously though, most of those bands were what I heard when I went to clubs.
I enjoyed it as club music at the time - along with a number of other bands like The Psyschadelic Furs, Talk Talk etc.
Hey, Robert Smith saved the world from Barbara Striesand, got to love him for that!

The sound of electroniic music is just not where my passion lies.
I like music that is more organic.

I've got a thing against DJs though.

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
The sound of electroniic music is just not where my passion lies. I like music that is more organic.

Fair enough but you can't tell me Kraftwerk, Bruce Haack, Giorgio Moroder, A Guy Called Gerald, Electronic, and the Detroit techno pioneers like Kevin Saunderson aren't organic though.

I've got a thing against DJs though.

You mean ones who play on laptops instead of Technics SL1200's?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
again, even this Nero guy sounds like what an old friend of mine would create on his computer and with turntables - the "two step" stuff, yes? to me, it just sounds like mediocre video game music...

coneklr

Passed Driver's Ed
Ha this thread turned even more awesome than yesterday!!!! lol.

I actually like Nero and Bassnecter (probably comes from my SPL competition days).

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
again, even this Nero guy sounds like what an old friend of mine would create on his computer and with turntables - the "two step" stuff, yes? to me, it just sounds like mediocre video game music...

Nero is two guys, FYI.

That's the first NERO track I heard thanks to High Contrast, can't tell me that sounds like "video game music" lol

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Ha this thread turned even more awesome than yesterday!!!! lol.

I actually like Nero and Bassnecter (probably comes from my SPL competition days).

No surprise you'd like Bassnectar lol

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Nero is two guys, FYI.

That's the first NERO track I heard thanks to High Contrast, can't tell me that sounds like "video game music" lol

It's 2 guys and a girl no? She seems to be featured in every song, I mean I know Justice sampled Yuffie for a song, but this Nero girl is in like EVERY song...that's not sampling then, she might aswell just be part of them lol

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
It's 2 guys and a girl no? She seems to be featured in every song, I mean I know Justice sampled Yuffie for a song, but this Nero girl is in like EVERY song...that's not sampling then, she might aswell just be part of them lol

Alana is a guest vocalist that does come to tour with them often, but she's technically not part of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.