GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Squeal / Whistle Solution anyone?

crashdb

Go Kart Champion
My car is a 2011 and I have/had the squeal on hard acceleration. As a fluke I decided to do the rev D diverter valve. I was shocked to notice two things: The first is that I had a rev C valve on there. The second is that it was blowing oil all over the place. The valve takes 15 minutes to do and afterward there's no more squeal and I swear the car is pulling like I remember from when I first got the stage II flash done. It's a $60 part and it's not at all hard to install. For piece of mind just do it.

You should be able to see which version you have from underneath the car. Just lift it up and look just above the passenger side axle and it's right there.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
My car is a 2011 and I have/had the squeal on hard acceleration. As a fluke I decided to do the rev D diverter valve. I was shocked to notice two things: The first is that I had a rev C valve on there. The second is that it was blowing oil all over the place. The valve takes 15 minutes to do and afterward there's no more squeal and I swear the car is pulling like I remember from when I first got the stage II flash done. It's a $60 part and it's not at all hard to install. For piece of mind just do it.

You should be able to see which version you have from underneath the car. Just lift it up and look just above the passenger side axle and it's right there.

good call. i havent done a DV on this GTI yet. It does have a good one as i checked once, but, the car has 21k miles on it now. maybe it actually did wear out a bit. maybe thats why my car feels slow, who knows. haven't logged boost in a while.

might have read rumors that the DV on the APR K04 might be harder to access than the normal turbo. Hope not.

and i found the post when i confirmed my 2011 DV.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357686&postcount=19

Last edited:

SRT2GTI

Banned
I only got the "whistle" noise when I installed the Carbonio stage 2 pipe. It took me less then 2 minutes to realize I hated that sound. I removed the stage 2 pipe and sold it. I've been running the Carbonio stage 1 intake with zero issues since that time.

ducatiwebb

Ready to race!
Mine "whines" too. Doesn't really bother me. Stage 1/2 Carbonio intake, stage 1 apr flash.

sent from my iphone5 from tapatalk

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
My apr stage 2 pipe used to squeel like a pig. I hated it.

One day I took off the intake for some reason and when I reinstalled it stopped squeeling.

Weird

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Checked my DV, its fine. Did find some oil seepage on my APR silicone elbow hose. I tightened each clamp a hair and cleaned it off.

r0nd3L

Ready to race!
After installing AWE K04 kit the noise went away completely for me. It was pretty bad before with the Injen intake and stock turbo/DV assembly. I think it's the DV relocation that helped.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
ive heard of people solving it by messing around with their filter. they got a new one, or they positioned it a few inches higher/lower and tighter/looser than where they had started. i personally took my intake off since i couldnt stand it and couldnt fix it.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
ive heard of people solving it by messing around with their filter. they got a new one, or they positioned it a few inches higher/lower and tighter/looser than where they had started. i personally took my intake off since i couldnt stand it and couldnt fix it.

I had this issue when I installed my Injen intake and tried all these "free fixes" in reality replacing my DV with a Rev D fixed it. I had a Rev C which was a piston type before too but the Rev D has a small basket around it that must help because it was gone the moment that was swapped out.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
My apr stage 2 pipe used to squeel like a pig. I hated it.
One day I took off the intake for some reason and when I reinstalled it stopped squeeling.
Weird
Mine "whines" too. Doesn't really bother me. Stage 1/2 Carbonio intake, stage 1 apr flash.
sent from my iphone5 from tapatalk
I only got the "whistle" noise when I installed the Carbonio stage 2 pipe. It took me less then 2 minutes to realize I hated that sound. I removed the stage 2 pipe and sold it. I've been running the Carbonio stage 1 intake with zero issues since that time.
good call. i havent done a DV on this GTI yet. It does have a good one as i checked once, but, the car has 21k miles on it now. maybe it actually did wear out a bit. maybe thats why my car feels slow, who knows. haven't logged boost in a while.
might have read rumors that the DV on the APR K04 might be harder to access than the normal turbo. Hope not.
and i found the post when i confirmed my 2011 DV.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357686&postcount=19

All these can be fixed with a Rev D DV!:w00t: If you have Rev C or a diaphragm this will help remove that annoying squeal.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
I have had the whistle since day one OEM. With stage 1 Carbonio and APR stage 1 it sounds the same. I kind of like it.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Does yours sound like a goose being finger banged? If not then you likely don't have the issue the others are describing.
:word:theres no way anyone could like that sound, it almost sounds like some sort of warning buzzer. k04+rev d fixed mine

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Does yours sound like a goose being finger banged? If not then you likely don't have the issue the others are describing.

Its a very subtle whistle upon open throttle full acceleration. I have the rev D recirculating valve, the car had a C from the factory which was also a newer piston type valve. The valve made no difference, i do not believe its from that but rather from air rushing into the intake piping and swirling into the compressor.