GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 3 or Stage 3+ ?

CherryRedOne

Ready to race!
Hello all I am currently debating between the stage 3 and stage 3+ kits.
I am kind of a HP freak so obviously I would like as much as possible, but here are my questions....

My car is daily driven, so lots of miles every year.

Secondly I want to be able to come on to it a bit under 60mph or 100 kph and still have some traction. So I don't just want a car for high way roll ons.

Can people that are running stage 3+ kits chime in ? I am just scared that the stage 3 kit will not be enough and I will regret not buying the 3+.

~ Thanks

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
If you're already doubting if the stage 3 kit will be enough then I think your mind is kind of made up already.

Secondly I want to be able to come on to it a bit under 60mph or 100 kph and still have some traction. So I don't just want a car for high way roll ons.

Even with a bolt on k04 kit, I have pretty severe traction problems until 65-70mph on 215 tires. With another 50+ whp minimum I'd expect some heavy traction problems in third gear unless you're running a pretty serious tire.

That being said, if you have the dough for 3+, do it.

VagPuncher

Ready to race!
Go straight for 3+. The 3 has better low end torque but do it once and do it right. The cost to upgrade from 3 to 3+ is not worth it if you can do it from the beginning!

CherryRedOne

Ready to race!
Basically I just want it to still be funny in the twisties and still some what drivable under 60. I had stage 2 for like a week and was bored lol. The car is on coils so all Really need is a clutch and new tires to handle the new power.

99bajakid

Ready to race!
i'd recommend another car tbh. not trolling, but if you're planning on sinking that much dough into a car, why do it on a FWD platform that could never put any of that power to the ground.. it seems foolish to me.

Avant

Ready to race!
i'd recommend another car tbh. not trolling, but if you're planning on sinking that much dough into a car, why do it on a FWD platform that could never put any of that power to the ground.. it seems foolish to me.

Just because you can.

OP, having a fast ass kit is all subjective. APR's Stage 3+ kit can be daily driveable, it's just the way you drive.

If you have the money, there's not reason to settle with Stage 3 (especially with their K04 kit making just 40 horsepower less).

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I'd just go straight to 3+ if it was me spending my money, you're more than likely going to end up being complacent with 3 and want more, and the amount of money to go from 3 to 3+ is just not worth it for what you get in return for performance

Stifun

Ready to race!
In the future I'd like to go Stage 3 myself, but I am hoping APR does some ECU tweaking on the R's and we can get switchable maps(Pump and Race gas Tunes) because with a Race gas tune the R will wake up even more I am certain.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
Just because you can.

OP, having a fast ass kit is all subjective. APR's Stage 3+ kit can be daily driveable, it's just the way you drive.

If you have the money, there's not reason to settle with Stage 3 (especially with their K04 kit making just 40 horsepower less).

K04 is making 40 HP less but running nearly the same 1/4 mile times.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!

My friend do some research before you post. K04, stg.3, stg.3+ all put plenty of HP to the pavement. Spoken like someone who doesn't have the money to do any work.

GP813

Ready to race!
If your going to spend stage 3 kind of coin I say why not go all the way. That way you'll never say "what if?" Until someone comes out with stage 4 GTX kits or something lol

Be forewarned to take into account all the extra engine work and support mods on top of your stg3+ kit. Horsepower isn't everything and I'm a big proponent of well balanced cars.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion

Bigger turbos are different then the small ko3s, IHIs and ko4s they don't spool super fast at low rpms instantly causing massive traction loss. FWD will always have traction issues but it can improved and controlled

confuc1ous

Go Kart Champion
You know, no-one has mentioned it yet but part of the 3+ build is not just the kit you buy but other parts that you're going to have to replace and upgrade. One thing I've been contemplating getting before I do any more work is a differential that's up to the task (I believe there was a GB on one earlier this year), something to help with the traction etc... I would, to be honest, make sure that its part of your build, along with a better and more upgraded clutch, a flywheel with lighter rotational mass, I mean, the list is endless. Building for power is great and it satisfies the most carnal hunger with our cars, but then you have to think suspension and how it relates to traction, tires, brakes and how you're going to bring a car that accelerates so quickly to a full stop in as short a distance as possible if/when necessary.

I like to write things out, read up on them, make sure I'm not creating redundancy etc... with parts or money spent. I think you should do the same, it might give you clarity and once you have a plan, throw it up on the site, get some feedback. Some good people here to discuss this with are grambles, gunkata, modshack, bender and quite a few others who I cant remember off hand. 3+ is a good way to go, but factor in costs of other items you'll need in order for it to be a serious and well balanced 3+ build.