GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anchorage, AK - anyone ever been/lived there?

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
I am considering moving somewhere new. I like smaller cities that still offer some degree of nightlife plus plenty of nature nearby.

Aside from the cold Anchorage seems to fit the bill. I mean it is isolated so unlike here in Connecticut people won't spend all day complaining how nearby Boston and NYC are so much better.

Anyone ever lived there or spent enough time to get a feel so the city?

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Uncle was stationed in alaksa in the early 90's and had a good time. I'm sure it's better than the 90's lol.

Have you considered Flagstaff, AZ? It's about the same, but without a coast. The standard of living is cheaper than AK and there's plenty of nature.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather freeze my balls off than sweat them off.

OP, Alaska is pretty awesome, my wifes parents are moving out there to retire. Night life is good for the kind of city it is, and it's more modernized now than it was before. Wouldn't keep a GTI out there though. Something big with AWD is what I'd use. It's definitely in the middle of BFE though, but it won't stop people from saying X or Y city isn't better, I'm sure there they compare it to some places in Canada...People are going to be people no matter where you live is what I've learned.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com

OP, Alaska is pretty awesome, my wifes parents are moving out there to retire. Night life is good for the kind of city it is, and it's more modernized now than it was before. Wouldn't keep a GTI out there though. Something big with AWD is what I'd use. It's definitely in the middle of BFE though, but it won't stop people from saying X or Y city isn't better, I'm sure there they compare it to some places in Canada...People are going to be people no matter where you live is what I've learned.

Hell, I complain all day lol. I love the area I live in because the hottest it gets is 85 average in the summer, but it's so dead. Night life is nonexistent if you have teeth and prefer to not get raped by toothless women.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Hell, I complain all day lol. I love the area I live in because the hottest it gets is 85 average in the summer, but it's so dead. Night life is nonexistent if you have teeth and prefer to not get raped by toothless women.

85 average in summer in Arizona? :eek:

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
I spent about a week in Anchorage. Most stores, restaurants, etc, seemed to close early and open late. It's a completely different lifestyle IMO.

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
Yep....higher elevation. Not to be confused with the heat of Phoenix. I would love to live in northern AZ. Sedona would be nice but too expensive.

Have you heard of Cottonwood? It's 15 miles south of Sedona. Same elevation, little smaller but the houses are huge and they're going for cheap. There was a 4500sq ft home with a pool and guest house going for under 200k due to forclosure. Tons of those houses.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I've never been to Alaska but want to check it out very much! I hear the wildlife out there is amazing and I love the outdoors.

I would want to get out of CT as well, I'm not really a fan of that place. There are so many awesome cities in the US though. I've been surprised to see that places like Kansas City, KS and Mes Moines, IA are actually quite nice, small cities.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Although CT does suck, I personally wouldn't move to Alaska. I do like AZ although I've never been to flagstaff. I do like the Scottsdale and Chandler area though.

2.0t_convert

Ready to race!
Although CT does suck, I personally wouldn't move to Alaska. I do like AZ although I've never been to flagstaff. I do like the Scottsdale and Chandler area though.

Scottsdale has some of same issues I'm trying to escape. I'm tired of endless suburbs and far reaching metro areas. I like the idea of a city where most of what goes on is more centrally located.

Pardon my ignorance but what is BFE?

Uncle was stationed in alaksa in the early 90's and had a good time. I'm sure it's better than the 90's lol.

Have you considered Flagstaff, AZ? It's about the same, but without a coast. The standard of living is cheaper than AK and there's plenty of nature.

What sort of outdoor activities goes in in AZ?

I Ski and use snow machines up in ME. I doubt I can either easily if I moved to AZ. I also kayak but not sure how much AZ has in the way of water sports.

johnnyveelish

Go Kart Champion
Scottsdale has some of same issues I'm trying to escape. I'm tired of endless suburbs and far reaching metro areas. I like the idea of a city where most of what goes on is more centrally located.

Pardon my ignorance but what is BFE?

What sort of outdoor activities goes in in AZ?

I Ski and use snow machines up in ME. I doubt I can either easily if I moved to AZ. I also kayak but not sure how much AZ has in the way of water sports.

munising, marquette area in michigan is perfect for you. lots of outdoor activities.