GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hard Shifting Reverse and 1st gear!?

lamaface

Ready to race!
when I go into reverse, I always come to a stop, and put it in 1st,2nd, then double clutch, reverse. That's how I've done every VW I've owned. They all suck going into reverse and first for the most part
Well see, I do that on my 96' Honda but all that stopped since my last 2 cars since 2008. I have never had to do that on the GTI so I know something is wrong.

lamaface

Ready to race!
my guess is the clutch disc, its up to the dealer if they want to replace the slave cylinder.
But if it's not working properly they should replace it right? I even got the extended warranty for things like this. Would the clutch disc be covered under warranty?

Thomason84

Ready to race!
But if it's not working properly they should replace it right? I even got the extended warranty for things like this. Would the clutch disc be covered under warranty?
It would not be the clutch disc. The disc is the friction material sandwiched between the pressure plate and the flywheel. There are only a few items that can cause this issue and usually it is these items: (listed in order from most common to least common)

1) Slave cylinder
2) Throw out bearing (doubtful given your testamony)
3) Low fluid in the slave cylinders' master cylinder
4) Master cylinder

ncampos976

Ready to race!
with how many clutches i have seen exploding, i wouldn't throw it out of the equation. usually they cover it under power train, due to all the clutches that have been failing.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
Agreed there seems to be a lot of people with clutch issues but, hard shifting can not be caused by the clutch plate.

lamaface

Ready to race!
Of course! The dealer is stating that the mechanic & foreman looked over the car and could not duplicate the issue. That if it happens again to take it in right away. Pff!

lamaface

Ready to race!
Is it easy to check if the slave cylinder is working properly? Or do I have to get under the car for that? Also I believe I checked the brake reservoir last night and I could'nt really tell if the fluid was low or not because the plastic is really not that visible, but the fluid was at the lower part of the reservoir. Is it the same reservoir for the clutch? I would even like to check the shift cables if I have time.

Thomason84

Ready to race!
If 2nd through 6th is fine then I doubt its the linkage. And unfortunetly all you can do for the slave is have someone press your clutch several times and listen for air and watch for leaks.

lamaface

Ready to race!
Dammit! I guess i'll have to check if I can listen for air or see any leaks. The pictures I saw did show that the slave cylinder was on the transmission but wasn't sure if you can see it somehow from the engine bay or not. Thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep you guys posted if anything else happens.

ncampos976

Ready to race!
if there is any sort of leak, your brake fluid would be low and it could possibly be leaking out the tranny , you would have to look under your car to see it. there is a little hole and it could come out of there

Heil810

I had the same issue started out with only first the progressively got worse to the point it happened from first to all the way to fourth. It was a bad slave cylinder seems to be pretty common with the mk6. I got the whole clutch replaced and I'm only at 19k. Hope this helps.