GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New APR stage 1 owner/impressions

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the link. :23: You guys just made me add another 800 to my already expensive mod list expectation...

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
guys, can i ask a question without sounding rude? why upgrade a tdi when you know it won't get the performance of a gti? seems that the gti and tdi market to two very different groups of people, so my question is why not just go for a gti if you're looking for performance vs gas mileage? the tdi is more expensive as well.

again, not trying to knock you guys in any form - just curious.

Why? Because faster than stock GTI and gets 45+ mpg on hwy. This from someone who owns a GTI and a TDI. Obviously my Stage 1 GTI will smoke my stock Jetta TDI and even if/when I tune the TDI it still will be no match for the GTI. I've raced a tuned 2011+ Jetta TDI in my GTI and I'm confident that if my GTI had not been tuned, he would have pulled on me. Also TDIs hold their value much better than GTIs.

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
Why? Because faster than stock GTI and gets 45+ mpg on hwy. This from someone who owns a GTI and a TDI. Obviously my Stage 1 GTI will smoke my stock Jetta TDI and even if/when I tune the TDI it still will be no match for the GTI. I've raced a tuned 2011+ Jetta TDI in my GTI and I'm confident that if my GTI had not been tuned, he would have pulled on me. Also TDIs hold their value much better than GTIs.
dude, a tuned tdi can NOT hang with me. I am not tuned, exhaust and intake. I literally sit in boost waiting for my friend to pull up to me then just boost away from him.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Now, the fact that he gets dank gas mileage, and is quick, is awesome. I feel like you'd need to slap a bigger turbo on a tdi to make it GOOOO

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
dude, a tuned tdi can NOT hang with me. I am not tuned, exhaust and intake. I literally sit in boost waiting for my friend to pull up to me then just boost away from him.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Now, the fact that he gets dank gas mileage, and is quick, is awesome. I feel like you'd need to slap a bigger turbo on a tdi to make it GOOOO

You are NOT STOCK doe... He said STOCK, and I have seen tuned TDIs keep up and even slowly pull past a fully factory stock stage nothing GTI. The TDI was DSG and the GTI was Manual.

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
You are NOT STOCK doe... He said STOCK, and I have seen tuned TDIs keep up and even slowly pull past a fully factory stock stage nothing GTI. The TDI was DSG and the GTI was Manual.

Dude, a tune is really the only thing that makes more power on our cars. Trust me, I've put an intake on and it didn't do much, exhaust and it made it louder but I know not faster. Okay, my buddy in his stock mk6 pulls on our other buddy who is tuned tdi. All manuals and the tdi driver has been driving manual longest. Im only stating this because He said, "because faster than stock gti" and I don't want misinformation spread. The torque curve is there and maybe if they launch well they can pull for half a second but I'm gonna be on that little ass and passing it in a second lol, stick to your I get 50 mpg story and please don't tell people to spend money expecting more power than what's available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!
Dude, a tune is really the only thing that makes more power on our cars. Trust me, I've put an intake on and it didn't do much, exhaust and it made it louder but I know not faster. Okay, my buddy in his stock mk6 pulls on our other buddy who is tuned tdi. All manuals and the tdi driver has been driving manual longest. Im only stating this because He said, "because faster than stock gti" and I don't want misinformation spread. The torque curve is there and maybe if they launch well they can pull for half a second but I'm gonna be on that little ass and passing it in a second lol, stick to your I get 50 mpg story and please don't tell people to spend money expecting more power than what's available

I had my TDI on the track at Dub Deliverance at Summit Point a month ago. I know -for a fact- that my diesel was faster than other (stock) MKVI GTI's. Down the straights, I was the one pulling away, not them.

That was my original goal for this car: be faster than a stock GTI, and still maintain the benefits of owning a diesel. Granted, I've put a lot into it (because, for me, money is not an issue), but it CAN be done.

APR Stage 1
Snow Performance W/M
South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch and flywheel
Neuspeed RSe5's
Neuspeed aluminium turbo discharge pipe
Custom fabricated LSD by Gary Peloquin

That's just what I've done so far (I'm a long way from done), and it's apparently enough to make a MKVI TDI Golf faster than a STOCK MKVI GTI in a straight line. Now, when you're done with straight-line pissing contests, and you throw a few corners at MY car vs a stock GTI, I will slaughter the GTI every, single, time. Period. ~350 ft/lbs of torque carries momentum through the corners WAY better than the ~210 ft/lbs of a GTI.

Just one more point of note: Down the back straight of the Shenandoah circuit, my car topped out at 102 MPH before having to get on the brakes for the hairpin. Another guy on the same track, in the same driving group, on the same day, down that same straight, in a stock MKVI Golf R topped out at 107 MPH. So if I'm only 5 MPH slower than a Golf R, in a diesel(!) no less, I know I must be doing something right.

I know I know. I've heard the argument a thousand times. "GTI's will ALWAYS be faster than a TDI any day, especially when they've been tuned." Fine. Granted. I've never disagreed with that statement, because it's just true. That said, it doesn't mean that a TDI, with the proper modifications, can't be made to be devastatingly quick as well, and in certain cases, MUCH quicker than even some tuned GTI's, especially when you learn to drive it properly (with the torque rather than the horsepower).

Basically, TDI's are whole other animals than GTI's. That's all.

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
I had my TDI on the track at Dub Deliverance at Summit Point a month ago. I know -for a fact- that my diesel was faster than other (stock) MKVI GTI's. Down the straights, I was the one pulling away, not them.

That was my original goal for this car: be faster than a stock GTI, and still maintain the benefits of owning a diesel. Granted, I've put a lot into it (because, for me, money is not an issue), but it CAN be done.

APR Stage 1
Snow Performance W/M
South Bend Stage 2 Endurance clutch and flywheel
Neuspeed RSe5's
Neuspeed aluminium turbo discharge pipe
Custom fabricated LSD by Gary Peloquin

That's just what I've done so far (I'm a long way from done), and it's apparently enough to make a MKVI TDI Golf faster than a STOCK MKVI GTI in a straight line. Now, when you're done with straight-line pissing contests, and you throw a few corners at MY car vs a stock GTI, I will slaughter the GTI every, single, time. Period. ~350 ft/lbs of torque carries momentum through the corners WAY better than the ~210 ft/lbs of a GTI.

Just one more point of note: Down the back straight of the Shenandoah circuit, my car topped out at 102 MPH before having to get on the brakes for the hairpin. Another guy on the same track, in the same driving group, on the same day, down that same straight, in a stock MKVI Golf R topped out at 107 MPH. So if I'm only 5 MPH slower than a Golf R, in a diesel(!) no less, I know I must be doing something right.

I know I know. I've heard the argument a thousand times. "GTI's will ALWAYS be faster than a TDI any day, especially when they've been tuned." Fine. Granted. I've never disagreed with that statement, because it's just true. That said, it doesn't mean that a TDI, with the proper modifications, can't be made to be devastatingly quick as well, and in certain cases, MUCH quicker than even some tuned GTI's, especially when you learn to drive it properly (with the torque rather than the horsepower).

Basically, TDI's are whole other animals than GTI's. That's all.

Hahah there's obviously not gonna be an argument made here, as you have your mind made up already. But, add water/meth, an lsd, and some pipes to open up breathing and yeah you've got a good little tdi. Sucks you can't make too much more power out of the car though, I want more at stock gti power levels. Have fun with that torque curve brooo

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
I lol'd at "devastatingly quick" :laugh:

FWIW, tuned TDI's are the shit though. All that turk and the mpg's... win

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
I lol'd at "devastatingly quick" :laugh:

FWIW, tuned TDI's are the shit though. All that turk and the mpg's... win

Yep, they're very fun daily drivers. I'm sure amazing with an lsd

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!
Hahah there's obviously not gonna be an argument made here, as you have your mind made up already. But, add water/meth, an lsd, and some pipes to open up breathing and yeah you've got a good little tdi. Sucks you can't make too much more power out of the car though, I want more at stock gti power levels. Have fun with that torque curve brooo

I love my torque curve :thumbup:
Not sure it loves me back, seeing as how it punches me in the face each time the boost and W/M kick in.

Sure is fun though... :rolleyes:

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
Yeah, the LSD makes HUGE difference. All that extra torque was being wasted before I had it installed. Now it just punches you in the face. See previous post.

So now help me out if you can. My friends 2012 tdi is stage 2 Malone tuned with straight piped 3 inch exhaust. What else should he do? He's got wheels, suspension cosmetic things done... How much would he gain from water/meth? Anything else he can do? He wants big turbo, but both of us don't know what that involves for tdi

jade eyed wolf

Ready to race!
So now help me out if you can. My friends 2012 tdi is stage 2 Malone tuned with straight piped 3 inch exhaust. What else should he do? He's got wheels, suspension cosmetic things done... How much would he gain from water/meth? Anything else he can do? He wants big turbo, but both of us don't know what that involves for tdihttp://tapatalk.com/m?id=1

I hope to get around to a BT for my ride as well. I don't have a whole lot of information on what's involved specifically (yet), however, the guys at NGP Racing (where I get all my work done) are currently working on a joint development BT project with Darkside Developments over in the UK and Mark Malone himself. I'll be one of the first people to take advantage of this development when it's complete. More on that one when it happens ;)
I will say this though: Their test vehicle is currently putting out ~250 WHP and ~400 WTQ

As for the water methanol, I went with Snow Performance. It was about $1,500 installed. The kit itself is about half that if you can install it yourself. I have a very thorough guide for playing with W/M, which I would invite you to read here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62495

Hopefully that should answer any questions you might have about W/M. It gets pretty technical, so you'll learn a lot about what's going on and how it works, but it should give you some sense of the performance you can expect. I'd give you actual numbers if I had them, but I've yet to get my car on a dyno, so the most I can say is "it's noticeable," especially when you go with a 50/50 blend.

Hope that helps! :)

truuuuuuuuu

Ready to race!
I hope to get around to a BT for my ride as well. I don't have a whole lot of information on what's involved specifically (yet), however, the guys at NGP Racing (where I get all my work done) are currently working on a joint development BT project with Darkside Developments over in the UK and Mark Malone himself. I'll be one of the first people to take advantage of this development when it's complete. More on that one when it happens ;)
I will say this though: Their test vehicle is currently putting out ~250 WHP and ~400 WTQ

As for the water methanol, I went with Snow Performance. It was about $1,500 installed. The kit itself is about half that if you can install it yourself. I have a very thorough guide for playing with W/M, which I would invite you to read here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62495

Hopefully that should answer any questions you might have about W/M. It gets pretty technical, so you'll learn a lot about what's going on and how it works, but it should give you some sense of the performance you can expect. I'd give you actual numbers if I had them, but I've yet to get my car on a dyno, so the most I can say is "it's noticeable," especially when you go with a 50/50 blend.

Hope that helps! :)
great, very informative post. I think honestly w/m isn't for him... but maybe an intake and some piping for extra air. Car's great I get to roll in it everyday

engineered2win

Ready to race!
guys, can i ask a question without sounding rude? why upgrade a tdi when you know it won't get the performance of a gti? seems that the gti and tdi market to two very different groups of people, so my question is why not just go for a gti if you're looking for performance vs gas mileage? the tdi is more expensive as well.

again, not trying to knock you guys in any form - just curious.

I bought a TDI because I like the Golf platform, but don't want to be associated with flat brimmed GTI people. Golf R people are ok though, since they're usually guys in their 30s/40s and don't rice them out and drive like asshats.