GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

300- 330whp civic vs Stage 3 gti 350-360whp

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Only problem with the Honda after whoever is driving it wins. Its still a Honda. I'd much rather drive home in my GTI than ANY Honda.

I'm sure your VW is not all that fast or nice looking either. Yes, there are plenty of riced out Hondas........BMWs, Lexus', VWs, Mustangs what not. Funny thing is that most folks that do drive Hondas have respect for others who drive different brands. The cool kids in school must have not liked you or something. LOL :lol:

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure your VW is not all that fast or nice looking either. Yes, there are plenty of riced out Hondas........BMWs, Lexus', VWs, Mustangs what not. Funny thing is that most folks that do drive Hondas have respect for others who drive different brands. The cool kids in school must have not liked you or something. LOL :lol:

from experience, 99% of the jdm guys here in socal are total douchebags.. and solid 75% of them are riced out.
from those 99% douchebags, about 60% of them hate on euros in general.
ive only met 3 guys that appreciate a car for what it is, no matter who makes it for where it's from

that being said... the break-in and car-jacking rate for hondas here in socal is ridiculous.
i see ads of cars that have been stolen left and right, and all of them are civics, teggies, preludes and s13s
my uncle's civic was bone stock, and it got stolen in a fairly decent neighborhood

the newer civics are obviously less prone to this, but the old gens are definitely risky around here

i don hear many issues with euro cars getting jacked or broken into around here

MovinOut

Banned
from experience, 99% of the jdm guys here in socal are total douchebags.. and solid 75% of them are riced out.
ive only met 3 guys that appreciate a car for what it is, no matter who makes it for where it's from

that being said... the break-in and car-jacking rate for hondas here in socal is ridiculous.
i see ads of cars that have been stolen left and right, and all of them are civics, teggies, preludes and s13s
my uncle's civic was bone stock, and it got stolen in a fairly decent neighborhood

the newer civics are obviously less prone to this, but the old gens are definitely risky around here

No, you just hear about them broken down becuz hpfp :(

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
i dont follow gti issues... i have a golf.. we virtually no issues until we start getting into FI.
even then.. the only reason we have issues is because we've only had like 2 or 3 guinea pigs that have tried a turbo kit. the quirks havent had a chance to be worked out.
i dont normally hear of HPFP issues, but more of vacuum leaks and coils going bad.
for mk4's i hear lots of blown turbo stories because everyone is trying to push like 35psi LOL

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion

Don't get me wrong, I've been on both sides of the fence with Hondas and VW crowds. TBH, the VW crowd isn't the most friendly bunch to deal with. After attending a few local meets, I can safely say that 75% of the folks I've encountered are douchebags who won't talk to you because your car doesn't have $4K set of wheels and isn't on airbags. I definitely wasn't expecting a welcoming party but damn.....stuck-up people makes you don't even want to enjoy yourself being there.

MovinOut

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I've been on both sides of the fence with Hondas and VW crowds. TBH, the VW crowd isn't the most friendly bunch to deal with. After attending a few local meets, I can safely say that 75% of the folks I've encountered are douchebags who won't talk to you because your car doesn't have $4K set of wheels and isn't on airbags. I definitely wasn't expecting a welcoming party but damn.....stuck-up people makes you don't even want to enjoy yourself being there.

All "enthusiasts" at meets are some what knobs. Esp the guys in the crowd who have the faster cars and the most money put into them. The bimmer crowd in NOVA is the most wack group of over privileged lames that you can imagine. I'm talking parent bought m5's and GT-r's.

Last edited:

Brinkmen

VW NUT!

This is how it is.

I'm not sure what planet you live on if you think "most" Honda guys have respect for euros. Ha. I could say "most" of the real Honda guys (the 5% as I mentioned before) who have actual fast Civics have respect for euros. I think that's more having to do with the people. They have the know how to build a great car the right way whether is a euro or Japanese.

BlownFa5

Banned
Well somebody knows how to troll. :clap:

I have much less respect for Civic's in general because I believe there are way more idiots who think they have fast cars who drive them. I know there are INSANELY fast civics out there and I have much respect for them. I speak of the ones with fart can exhausts, big spoilers, bodykits, rims, and cone filter intakes that make noise and do nothing.

Your response to my comment amuses me since you seem to obviously be a Honda fanboy on a VW forum. :thumbdown: Yes I think my GTI is more luxurious, better made, and safer than any Civic because it is.

It is also much easier to make a lot faster than stock for much less cost than a Civic. What kind of HP/TQ mods can you do to a ANY Civic SI for under $1000 to give it 70HP and 90TQ more than stock (approximately 270+HP/290+TQ total). I'd love to know.

I can get the 3 things needed for my car to make those numbers for under $1000. Tuning $600 (50hp/80tq), intake (10hp/2tq) and downpipe (10hp/8tq) $400. Granted not the highest quality on the intake and DP if you want to keep the cost under $1000, but you can get a good intake for $200 and a reasonable downpipe for $200 also.

Bottom line. German Engineering > Rice. Turbo > VTEK.

Whether you were trolling or serious is moot, because I have seen many VW owners who actually have that opinion.

Trust me, I laugh at the owners of shitty/slow civics who think their cars are fast, just as much you, or anyone else in the car community. My interest is in clean, well put together, fun to drive vehicles, regardless of the make.

I am far from a Honda fan boy. The majority of Hondas I wouldn't drive myself. I'm only on this forum because for some time I was seriously contemplating a MK6 GTI. I decided against it only because I want my next car to be something fast and either rwd or awd.

lol I'm well aware of the prices and what it takes to mod each vehicle. Sorry to break it to you, but a stage 2 GTI isn't much faster than a full bolt on Si, and both can be had for around the same price. To make either car fast, it will always be easier/cheaper in the Si.

intake - $200, exhaust - $500, header - $300, flashpro - $600. So $1600 total give or take depending on parts and you'll be around 220whp. That is enough to be competitive with stage 2 gtis. Keep in mind that the Si is cheaper from the factory, so you're still spending about the same or less total.

Not sure why we're talking about modding on a budget though. Anyone with that mindset really shouldn't be modding to begin with.

Also, enough with the inflated APR bs HP numbers. When talking about modded cars, anything but WHP is meaningless (and even then it sometimes is). A stage 2 gti is not actually making 270hp.

MovinOut

Banned
Sorry man but your numbers are off for the stage II gti, they make around 245-255. I agree with everything else though.

BlownFa5

Banned
Seriously guys,
I thought we we're above this :thumbdown:
Just stop the dumb argument before ruining yet another perfectly good thread with a VW vs. Honda argument...
Why can't we all get along? Yay for cars :thumbup:

It is a Honda vs VW thread after all, no reason we can't reasonably compare the two, as long as it's in a civil manner.

Sure it can cost more to get one of these over 400WHP. But there is no point to have 400whp in a FWD. Anytime you want to use that power, you're just going to torque steer and burn rubber unless you're running slicks all the time. Then get eaten for breakfast by a STI with 350AWHP. Hondas do have the ability to go longer without maintenance than most VWs. Anyway I'm happy with having my car faster than 95% of the Civics and also many other cars. The other 5% I have much respect for doing all that work on their cars. Kern, why do you drive a VW if you think its less reliable and won't last as long as a Honda? I think my VW has more class than a Honda among the many other things I like better about it.

No point in having over 400whp in a FWD car? Not true at all. I know guys running 500whp+ with boost by gear set ups that limits boost in 1st and second. You can launch WOT and not spin. By third you can hook with full boost no problem. A 400 or 500whp Si set up properly will mop the floor with any STI.

I kind of thought that way too when I first got into modding, which is the main reason I went S/C instead of turbo. I didn't think I needed 400+ whp in a fwd vehicle. Now I kick myself everyday for not going turbo, because I've driven some seriously fast turbo civics and the power is definitely useable.

BlownFa5

Banned
Sorry man but your numbers are off for the stage II gti, they make around 245-255. I agree with everything else though.

Yes, I am aware of this. I am not the one who threw out the 270hp number.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
You obviously haven't tuned your current VW to a high level, otherwise you'd be in with the rest of the crowd who has clutch woes, CEL's from O2 inefficiency and other issues. You're speaking to something you don't know, esp with your sig tag saying "soon to be APR tuned". I don't know if you're overly hyped with the fact that you're in a MK6 or just disillusioned by people on the forum talking about k04 and how quick the car is. The thing about the GTI is it will be quick with mods but never fast unless you have deep pockets. And at that rate, a civic owner can add FI to his set-up for a lot less and maintain reliability while snapping on and off parts becauz JDM.

German cars are sensor laden, their computers don't like to be fucked with and will fight you the whole way. Believe me, modding and reliability certainly don't go hand in hand.

And to your point about an STI with 350 AWHP eating a 400whp GTI alive, please get real. Watch some of Zach (Zhijjawi10)'s videos of his EFR GTI that is modded to the gills just eat cars alive. He would spit out that STI for lunch dude. STI's aren't that tight.

I've had APR tuning on 2 MkIV 1.8ts and a MkV GTI all with APR stage 2 performance including exhaust and intake and never 1 CEL or problem. I do know what I'm talking about. I just haven't been on these forums long. Been of Vortex for like 8 years. 2400+ posts, and have owned 8 VWs including 2 MkIIs, 4 MkIVs, a MkV, and now a MkVI. You shouldn't go around telling people they don't know about something when you know nothing about them.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
I'm done. I have no need to continue feeding the troll. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

BlownFa5

Banned
Aka you can't disprove anything I just said and have no counter argument because everything you said was either an assumption or factually incorrect. Am I right?