GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's causing the soft handling - tires?

rondocap

Ready to race!
I have a GTI with all season tires, as they usually come. A/S Dunlops I think.

I found the cornering and handling to be a little bit on the soft side, making the car a bit softer and prone to understeer more. Would a summer tire correct this?

My 335i also felt this soft when it had winter tires - when I put the summer tires back on, it was firmer and handled much better and glued to the ground.

So is it the tires, or is the GTI generally just a bit soft?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
tires. Stock suspension is quite good, imho. You could even leave the springs/shocks alone and just do sways if you wanted.

racinrabbit1

Ready to race!
A good summer tire will give you the best results.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Any all-season performance tire that would be better, or basically I just need a good summer tire?

I've really liked the Hankook V2 ultra high perf all seasons, and in fact, I am going to be tracking with them come monday, lol. It wasn't my initial plan, but they will make due. I think the new version is the V4. The V2's are so-so in snow, but I'm so happy with everything else, it's not a big issue for me. 500 treadwear rating too.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Summer tires might be interesting in NJ come winter, my Bridgestone Potenza AS are waaaaay better than the stock Pirellis.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
The dunlops are decent A/S tires. Your going to get a softer sidewall on A/S tires because they need to stay soft when the temps drop unlike summer tires which become rocks in the winter.

A set of summer tires & light weight wheels will do wonders. Its not hard to lose 5-10lbs per corner with a good tire/wheel combo.

oempls

Go Kart Champion
I am running a set of BBS CHs in the same dimensions as the factory wheels with Hankook V12s and it makes one hell of a difference. Swap out the tires for a summer tire and you will be very happy. Of course upgraded suspension and sways will help as well.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I am running a set of BBS CHs in the same dimensions as the factory wheels with Hankook V12s and it makes one hell of a difference. Swap out the tires for a summer tire and you will be very happy. Of course upgraded suspension and sways will help as well.

BBS wheels aren't really that light.

OZ makes some very light wheels (16-17 lbs) in the 300-400 dollar range. Enkei makes some decently light wheels (19-20 lbs) in the 200-250 dollar range.

As for tires, PSS or RE-11 for uber performance and comfort or something like the v12 or DW for good performance.

McQueen77

Banned
the dunlops are pretty bad, not nearly as good as the pirellis, which are also not great.. the heavy wheels dont help either. my handling got a tad mushier after going to the Conti DWS but since most of my driving is around town, i wanted the most comfortable ride w/what i have so I love them as a daily driver tire. the handling is still very good even with the soft DWS.

if handling is what you are after get summer tires.

wolflen

Ready to race!
the stock dunlops a/s on this car are just awful..i felt no confidence in them at all...went with hankook v12...to say it was night & day -- a very dark night..

oempls

Go Kart Champion
BBS wheels aren't really that light.

OZ makes some very light wheels (16-17 lbs) in the 300-400 dollar range. Enkei makes some decently light wheels (19-20 lbs) in the 200-250 dollar range.

As for tires, PSS or RE-11 for uber performance and comfort or something like the v12 or DW for good performance.

I wasn't referring to them as light wheels but comparing them to similar factory specs but better tires. The Hankook V12s are great summer tires and do pretty well in the rain. I was on a trip up in the PNW and was worried after a downpour but they were fine.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
yea the stock dunlops are decent, but i dont feel that confident throwin my car into a corner..
i have coils with a nice drop, it did help the body roll.. but the car still feels alil loose in fast turns. hopefully when i get my rear sway put on it will help. next year im getting summer tires and a front sway.:D