GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage II inconsistencies and annoyances - Stage 1 'honeymoon' feeling is back!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
CEL - you mean ESP/traction?

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Who drives with traction on anyway? The only time I had it on with my 135 was in the rain and that's RWD. Different animal.

Start car, seat belt on, traction off, e-brake off, go.....that's my routine

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Who drives with traction on anyway? The only time I had it on with my 135 was in the rain and that's RWD. Different animal.

Start car, seat belt on, traction off, e-brake off, go.....that's my routine

Why not pull the ABS fuse as well. That shit is for pussies as well. I also routinely remove air bags to save weight.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Why not pull the ABS fuse as well. That shit is for pussies as well. I also routinely remove air bags to save weight.

Yeah FWD car is real dangerous with traction off. You might get sideways around those turns :w00t:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Yeah FWD car is real dangerous with traction off. You might get sideways around those turns :w00t:

:laugh: You'd be surprised at the number of people that claim they "drifted" a GTI and made threads about it.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
:laugh: You'd be surprised at the number of people that claim they "drifted" a GTI and made threads about it.

I could see a power slide by pulling the e-brake around a turn but drifting?

Edit: Or like back in the day get your rear wheels on top of fast food serving trays put the e-brake on and have some fun lol

McQueen77

Banned
Jesus thats long even for me.

I made a choice to stay stage 1 and ive had almost no problems. Im also always pretty happy with the power and if i get bored with it, all i have to do is not drive it for a few days. Stage 1 numbers on a fwd car of this weight and size with this suspension etc should be enough to keep most drivers entertained.. Stage 2 and beyond just opens you up to more problems esp if you live in a nazi emissions state like mine. Alright, thats all i have to say.

Oh, stop being a pony

ncampos976

Ready to race!
i went stage 2 with my GTI after about 2k miles or so. i have always felt that it to was just hit or miss with power, some days it feels great and some days its just meh, i know depending on weather and what not. but i also feel that my stage 2 just has weird problems all the time, weird hiccups with power, i struggle with stupid blips in power loss when accelerating, i just ignore it for the most part. but it has started to get very annoying. i have always wondered how a stage 1 drives.

Rcode

Go Kart Champion
Shit...you guys are making me nervous. I'm putting my dp on tomorrow and going to upgrade to stage 2 the day after. Stage 1 has been fine but my only complaint is the surge of power at times. I was told stage 2 smooths that out. I'm not expecting a ton more power, if any, just a smoother ride.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Shit...you guys are making me nervous. I'm putting my dp on tomorrow and going to upgrade to stage 2 the day after. Stage 1 has been fine but my only complaint is the surge of power at times. I was told stage 2 smooths that out. I'm not expecting a ton more power if any just a smoother ride.

that's exactly what it does. it will FEEL slightly less torquey down low, but way smoother and pull harder from mid to high rpms.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
that's exactly what it does. it will FEEL slightly less torquey down low, but way smoother and pull harder from mid to high rpms.

i agree, stage 2 was much worth it to me. i have zero problems with mines, though where i live the temperature is always around ~60F

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
i agree, stage 2 was much worth it to me. i have zero problems with mines, though where i live the temperature is always around ~60F

Same weather here for me and no issues or complaints with stage 2. No huge torque spikes anymore like Stage 1 had so it'll feel like something is wrong or off down low. But the high end feels MUCH better and doesn't give up when you stretch the engine out while merging onto a freeway.

Whao thats some serious weight lost, when are you gonna take the doors out? all you need is a 4 point harness.

gti330ex1

Ready to race!
I read the whole thread because I have the exact same issue as OP other than the milage fluctuation. This is my first forced induction car and I definitely like the idea of "recycled power", but the turbo lag and the inconsistency/ variation kills the fun. Other than the climate issues (humidity, temp), the ECU adapts to your driving behavior. its quite a smart feature, but i wish it can be turned off. If you consistently drive it hard, the performance will be consistent, ceteris paribus. Another way to find out is to switch maps (if you can). I noticed the car driving sloppy, I switched it back to stock mode, drove it for 5 mins then switch it back to 93 I noticed a huge difference (not between stock and 93, but the 93 before switch and after). Ultimately, climate affects the car the most, I am stage 2 with lighter wheels and PSS. I am able to lose traction just a couple months ago and sometimes at night when temp drops, in the morning? it feels like the turbo is non-existent. let's not even talk about the car while A/c is on, it respond extremely slow. Its quite sad that when the temp is hot, tires are sticky the car is not producing that much power. When the car is running great, the temp is cold, snow tires are needed (abeit the few occausions driving at night during summer time)

This. It is freaking irritating knowing that you don't get that push back in your seat feeling when you get on it in normal conditions. For example tonight, temps were even cooler then last night, and the car didn't behave as lively as described in OP.

Jesus thats long even for me.

I made a choice to stay stage 1 and ive had almost no problems. Im also always pretty happy with the power and if i get bored with it, all i have to do is not drive it for a few days. Stage 1 numbers on a fwd car of this weight and size with this suspension etc should be enough to keep most drivers entertained.. Stage 2 and beyond just opens you up to more problems esp if you live in a nazi emissions state like mine. Alright, thats all i have to say.

Oh, stop being a pony

You made the right choice, well done! Stage 1 in the city is fine, on the highway is boring and disappointing.

i went stage 2 with my GTI after about 2k miles or so. i have always felt that it to was just hit or miss with power, some days it feels great and some days its just meh, i know depending on weather and what not. but i also feel that my stage 2 just has weird problems all the time, weird hiccups with power, i struggle with stupid blips in power loss when accelerating, i just ignore it for the most part. but it has started to get very annoying. i have always wondered how a stage 1 drives.

Pretty much summed it up here.

I would say I was experiencing this daily before getting the intercooler, when the car was DD at stage1. After the intercooler the car was more predictable at stage 1. Now at stage 2, its more sluggish then anything, it doesn't behave too often as it did last night. Even the wifey will complain time to time, and ask what the heck is wrong with it, what did you do to it? lol

It simply wouldn't be responsive from the start.

Shit...you guys are making me nervous. I'm putting my dp on tomorrow and going to upgrade to stage 2 the day after. Stage 1 has been fine but my only complaint is the surge of power at times. I was told stage 2 smooths that out. I'm not expecting a ton more power, if any, just a smoother ride.

Smoother ride is the reason i went stage 2. You will notice the car accelerating a bit easier in gears 4,5,6. You will enjoy the farts, and that is about it!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I'd just go back to stage 1 then and get some money back on your dp, call it a day.