GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to avoid smog when registering in PNW

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'm approaching the expiration for my California registration and am considering my options. I could probably renew my California registration from out of state, although I am unsure how to do that here in Washington. Still it would probably be the easiest option as I bought my car in CA and smog is good for 4 more years. My other options are register in Oregon, using a Central Oregon address for "use" to avoid a DEQ test but I don't know how well that would work as a Washington resident. If I were to register here in WA I would probably need to swap in a stock DP.

I imagine there are plenty of people here running aftermarket downpipes; what have you done to renew your registration and get around smog tests?

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
I went through this with my STI.

California is one of a few states which doesn't alow out of state insurance so you would need to carry CA insurance to have CA registration. Unfortunately if your address is in WA your insurance company probably isn't going to allow you to do that. I got lucky in the fact that WY doesn't require smog but it was still a pita transferring all my loan stuff out of CA.

Is WA a sniffer state or do they just check readiness codes?

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I went through this with my STI.

California is one of a few states which doesn't alow out of state insurance so you would need to carry CA insurance to have CA registration. Unfortunately if your address is in WA your insurance company probably isn't going to allow you to do that. I got lucky in the fact that WY doesn't require smog but it was still a pita transferring all my loan stuff out of CA.

Is WA a sniffer state or do they just check readiness codes?

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

I don't know, I'd rather avoid it entirely. I think they just do an OBDII check, but I'd rather not swap downpipes and mess with spacers.

ian dummy

Ready to race!
for new cars they just plug into your ODB-II port and check readiness codes. my MKV GTI passed without issues with tune.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
for new cars they just plug into your ODB-II port and check readiness codes. my MKV GTI passed without issues with tune.

Yeah, no sniffer test in WA anymore, just OBD-II scan for readiness. If you have the stage II tune to remove the engine code, you'll pass.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah, no sniffer test in WA anymore, just OBD-II scan for readiness. If you have the stage II tune to remove the engine code, you'll pass.

I have a test pipe Stage 2 file since I'm running the APR cat. I know it doesn't throw a code, but I thought test pipe files will fail O2 sensor readiness?

Not to mention visual inspection... I doubt the average tech would know the difference but a savvy one might, and the exhaust smell is stronger too...

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
I have a test pipe Stage 2 file since I'm running the APR cat. I know it doesn't throw a code, but I thought test pipe files will fail O2 sensor readiness?

Not to mention visual inspection... I doubt the average tech would know the difference but a savvy one might, and the exhaust smell is stronger too...

You won't pass emissions with a stage II tune, it will fail due to O2 readiness when they hook up to the OBD-II. There was no visual inspection underneath my last car that I took in half a year ago.

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38132

Grimm

Passed Driver's Ed
Get a address in Kitsap county no testing Period.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Get a address in Kitsap county no testing Period.

Hmmm...what do you have to do to register your car to a particular address? Have mail with that address? And can your mailing address be different?

Reason why I ask, is I don't know anyone who lives in Kitsap County...but my wife does...

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Hmmm...according to the WA DOL site, vehicles model year 2009 and newer that are CARB compliant are exempt from emissions testing. Since I bought my car in California, it is PZEV, CBFA engine. Granted, with the APR downpipe it obviously doesn't meet those specs, but how would the DOL know? All they know is it's coming in from California and was bought new in California so as sold it met California emissions requirements. According to that logic, it should be exempt...

Also according to http://www.emissiontestwa.com/faq.aspx, my car should be exempt as it's newer than 2009.

Last edited:

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm...according to the WA DOL site, vehicles model year 2009 and newer that are CARB compliant are exempt from emissions testing. Since I bought my car in California, it is PZEV, CBFA engine. Granted, with the APR downpipe it obviously doesn't meet those specs, but how would the DOL know? All they know is it's coming in from California and was bought new in California so as sold it met California emissions requirements. According to that logic, it should be exempt...

Also according to http://www.emissiontestwa.com/faq.aspx, my car should be exempt as it's newer than 2009.

Like you said, your car is:
A) Newer than 2009
B) CARB compliant

Sounds like you're go to go buddy, I don't see why it wouldn't be exempt unless there's a clause for out of state vehicles.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Like you said, your car is:
A) Newer than 2009
B) CARB compliant

Sounds like you're go to go buddy, I don't see why it wouldn't be exempt unless there's a clause for out of state vehicles.

Yep, I confirmed this today.

If your vehicle was built in 2009 or newer to CARB specs (PZEV/CBFA) then you will NOT have to smog test your car when registering in Washington.