GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General Car, Inferior or Superior Interior, & Eternal Mullet Barge Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I'm a big fan of this one.

Eagle E-type Low Drag.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I drove an e-type once. it was 1992. It was in our shop for work. It needed to go to the body shop for a paint repair estimate. They stupidly let me drive it there at age 20 or something. Was about a 3 mile drive on the freeway. Boy did i wind that thing out. I think it had a 10 cylinder in it? Maybe a 12? It revved like butter to redline and that exhaust note... wow. I would say it could easily keep up with my stage 2 GTI right now, if I remember it correctly. So much torque all the way to the top. It was dark green.

it looked like the exact same year as the one in that pic.

Not likely. Those go 0-60 in like 7 and a half seconds or something. The 5.3 V12 only produced 295 hp and 300 ft/lbs.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Not likely. Those go 0-60 in like 7 and a half seconds or something. The 5.3 V12 only produced 295 hp and 300 ft/lbs.

maybe compared the car i had then.. it seemed incredble. i prob had either my '81 280zx or my '82 626 that year.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
maybe compared the car i had then.. it seemed incredble. i prob had either my '81 280zx or my '82 626 that year.

Oh, no doubt those cars are incredible. One of the most gorgeous cars ever made. You don't need to beat anything on the road. You are already better than anyone just by driving one!

Lucky you got to drive one... especially at 20. It's possible you are the only one here who has done so. :thumbup:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Oh, no doubt those cars are incredible. One of the most gorgeous cars ever made. You don't need to beat anything on the road. You are already better than anyone just by driving one!

Lucky you got to drive one... especially at 20. It's possible you are the only one here who has done so. :thumbup:

Still have my jacket from that shop. "Far Performance" in Mt. View, CA. It was a famous Datsun 240Z oriented shop back before i worked there, maybe in the 80's. It is long gone now though.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Still have my jacket from that shop. "Far Performance" in Mt. View, CA. It was a famous Datsun 240Z oriented shop back before i worked there, maybe in the 80's. It is long gone now though.

That is pretty cool. Did not know you worked in a shop like that. Did you have a love for the Z before working there or after?

I noticed you said 626.... my Aunt had one. Thing was bulletproof. Hers was known to eat oil and she was absent minded about checking. My Dad said once he checked it, it was pretty much bone dry but was still running like a champ. Bottles the mind.

Even funnier is the 626 was the BIG sedan from Mazda then. The 323 was compact. I'd think that a 626 today would be considered compact or even sub-compact. :laugh:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
That is pretty cool. Did not know you worked in a shop like that. Did you have a love for the Z before working there or after?

I noticed you said 626.... my Aunt had one. Thing was bulletproof. Hers was known to eat oil and she was absent minded about checking. My Dad said once he checked it, it was pretty much bone dry but was still running like a champ. Bottles the mind.

Even funnier is the 626 was the BIG sedan from Mazda then. The 323 was compact. I'd think that a 626 today would be considered compact or even sub-compact. :laugh:

that shop got me interested in Z's. There was always a couple in there for service at all times. We had one master mechanic Harold Koonz who had been working on Z's for at least 15 years. I used to take his paychecks to the bank and cash them for him. then I learned of a 1981 280zx across the street at "Larry's Auto Works". The customer had abandoned it. I bought it for $400. I fixed it up, did the tranny rebuild, new exhaust, handbrake cable, Momo steering wheel which we stocked, and tons of engine stuff. Also put Saturn SL2 springs into the rear of the 280zx, they were the PERFECT rear spring for that car, it fixed the notorious sagging of the rear end on the 280zx. That was an awesome car to have for age 20 or so.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/...s/32737-f-r-performance-mountain-view-ca.html

The F.A.R. Performance Years, 1973-1975
http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/701FAR.htm

I just found a reference to Far Performance on a Z club forum and made this post in their thread.

I worked at Far Performance around 1990-1992 or so. I was a parts runner, shop maintenance, customer courier driver, among other roles. It was owned by Larry Mudget at that time, with his wife Doris. They had 2 kids, I forget their names. It was a great time to work in a shop back then. It was a popular shop, usually booked a few days in advance. The mechanics I worked with were: Harold Koonz, Craig Quimby, Darryl Snyder, and many others I can't remember right at this time. Darren ran the parts department counter, he was crazy back then, got in trouble every once in a while. One evening he wrapped a Porsche around a pole on a test drive. Mary Kelly was the receptionist for most of the time. Fred Rosette was the service writer. While I was working there, the company changed hands to a guy named Terry. He ran it a couple years, and I left while he was running the place. There weren't as many Z's in the shop then, but we did get one or two a week on average. That shop is what started my love of Z's, and how I bought my 1981 280zx from Larry's auto Works across the street. Later I had a '87 300zx which i have a lot of repair videos on. I also had an '88 300zx which was a short lived bad experience. My name was Mark.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
So I am going to go and test drive some cars today...

IS350 F sport
Q56/G37 coupe?!
S4
maybe a 370z

Should be an interesting day.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I saw an IS250 today, the new design is really sharp.

I think it looks better than the BMW 3-series for sure.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
I saw an IS250 today, the new design is really sharp.

I think it looks better than the BMW 3-series for sure.

I don't know what it is, but I seem to dislike everything by Toyota. Except for ex employees of Team Toyota's marketing department. I like them.

I have never had an affinity for anything Lexus. They have never excited me. I do like that they are taking chances with their designs despite not liking the look.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
that shop got me interested in Z's. There was always a couple in there for service at all times. We had one master mechanic Harold Koonz who had been working on Z's for at least 15 years. I used to take his paychecks to the bank and cash them for him. then I learned of a 1981 280zx across the street at "Larry's Auto Works". The customer had abandoned it. I bought it for $400. I fixed it up, did the tranny rebuild, new exhaust, handbrake cable, Momo steering wheel which we stocked, and tons of engine stuff. Also put Saturn SL2 springs into the rear of the 280zx, they were the PERFECT rear spring for that car, it fixed the notorious sagging of the rear end on the 280zx. That was an awesome car to have for age 20 or so.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/...s/32737-f-r-performance-mountain-view-ca.html

The F.A.R. Performance Years, 1973-1975
http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/701FAR.htm

I just found a reference to Far Performance on a Z club forum and made this post in their thread.

I worked at Far Performance around 1990-1992 or so. I was a parts runner, shop maintenance, customer courier driver, among other roles. It was owned by Larry Mudget at that time, with his wife Doris. They had 2 kids, I forget their names. It was a great time to work in a shop back then. It was a popular shop, usually booked a few days in advance. The mechanics I worked with were: Harold Koonz, Craig Quimby, Darryl Snyder, and many others I can't remember right at this time. Darren ran the parts department counter, he was crazy back then, got in trouble every once in a while. One evening he wrapped a Porsche around a pole on a test drive. Mary Kelly was the receptionist for most of the time. Fred Rosette was the service writer. While I was working there, the company changed hands to a guy named Terry. He ran it a couple years, and I left while he was running the place. There weren't as many Z's in the shop then, but we did get one or two a week on average. That shop is what started my love of Z's, and how I bought my 1981 280zx from Larry's auto Works across the street. Later I had a '87 300zx which i have a lot of repair videos on. I also had an '88 300zx which was a short lived bad experience. My name was Mark.

TRips down memory lane are always awesome. Pretty cool that someone was talking about them!

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I don't know what it is, but I seem to dislike everything by Toyota. Except for ex employees of Team Toyota's marketing department. I like them.

I have never had an affinity for anything Lexus. They have never excited me. I do like that they are taking chances with their designs despite not liking the look.

The only Lexus that has really ever captured my attention is the IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.